So McCall can Redshirt?

I'll post this again: Dace Richardson most likely would have been granted a sixth year because he played as a true freshman. Lee Gray had already red-shirted his true freshman in year in 2001 for "non-medical reason" and the NCAA almost always considers that freshman season an opportunity to compete that should have been used. There are exceptions to this though such as Jon Beutjer who red-shirted his true freshman year and then sat out a year for transferring but was then granted a 6th year.

Thanks for that.

KF just said he will get a red shirt....wait but you said he won't...maybe you jackasses dont have a clue what your talking about..

grasshawk why dont you call the NCAA like I did and explain the situations and get answers before you start calling people jackasses

Q. Is the plan still to use McCall this year?
COACH FERENTZ: We’re hoping to. Yeah, we’re hoping to. Hopefully this week will present that opportunity.

Q. If he wanted to red shirt now, could he?
COACH FERENTZ: Yeah. He’s been out a ton. He’s got an X-ray that would prove a pretty legitimate injury. The real surprise is that he has a chance to come back, and we’ll just see how things go.

================================================

Looks like they are hoping the documentation of the ankle break will be enough to prove it was an incapacitating injury.

Time will tell, esp with Ferentz on the record saying he was practicing and ready to get into the ballgame.

Q. Is the plan still to use McCall this year?
COACH FERENTZ: We’re hoping to. Yeah, we’re hoping to. Hopefully this week will present that opportunity.

Q. If he wanted to red shirt now, could he?
COACH FERENTZ: Yeah. He’s been out a ton. He’s got an X-ray that would prove a pretty legitimate injury. The real surprise is that he has a chance to come back, and we’ll just see how things go.

All this doesn't matter if McCall doesn't want the Hardship or like KF says above the plan is still to use him. Interesting considering that I thought he was cleared to play 3 weeks ago. So a typical KF presser, just more questions.. Too Funny!

================================================

Looks like they are hoping the documentation of the ankle break will be enough to prove it was an incapacitating injury.

Time will tell, esp with Ferentz on the record saying he was practicing and ready to get into the ballgame.

McCall can redshirt.

This isn't up for debate. If he doesn't play again this season he will be cleared for a redshirt. Without a doubt in my mind.

I have to think Kirk and Co know the nuances of this stuff more than most, so I agree...and as I said this weekend, I think McCall has been insurance for Coker these past two weeks, as Iowa still had a shot at the Legends..now that they don't, I don't think he plays.

I have to think Kirk and Co know the nuances of this stuff more than most, so I agree...and as I said this weekend, I think McCall has been insurance for Coker these past two weeks, as Iowa still had a shot at the Legends..now that they don't, I don't think he plays.

So if he has been insurance like your saying Jon, then he obviously can play which would not allow him to redshirt clearly stated in the rules we have put on here.

I'm done talking about this. I read the rules and am interpreting them to the best of my ability with the knowledge I have. It just kinda baffles me some see it the way they do. I don't hate any of younfor thinking like that I just don't get it and it kinda irritates me. Especially when I put a direct quote on here from an NCAA compliance director talking about a situation very similar to McCalls.

I promise I'll leave it alone I can't argue this anymore. I've put it all out there.

I really hope he can get the Hardship. I'm certainly not rooting against that. However I know I can read and I also believe my interpretation skills are pretty good and it certainly doesn't read that way.

So if he has been insurance like your saying Jon, then he obviously can play which would not allow him to redshirt clearly stated in the rules we have put on here.

I'm done talking about this. I read the rules and am interpreting them to the best of my ability with the knowledge I have. It just kinda baffles me some see it the way they do. I don't hate any of younfor thinking like that I just don't get it and it kinda irritates me. Especially when I put a direct quote on here from an NCAA compliance director talking about a situation very similar to McCalls.

I promise I'll leave it alone I can't argue this anymore. I've put it all out there.

I posted this on another board, but I'll rehash it here because some people think they know more than someone who's been through this exact situation.

My freshman year of intercollegiate indoor track, I participated in the first two meets. During the second meet, I stepped on an indoor rail and rolled my ankle to the point where I was on crutches for a week. Probably a hairline fracture, but that's not what's important. The important part was I was hurt very badly and was not able to run for a couple weeks.

With a couple weeks left in the indoor season, I was still in good aerobic shape and had the option to go ahead and run. Instead, even though I was cleared to run, I decided not to and instead took the next few weeks to continue to heal and ended up being awarded a 5th year of eligibility down the road. I decided not to use it, but it was given to me. Without hesitation.

It doesn't matter if you're able to play. It's if you do. And if you have a devastating injury like McCall's, no one is going to question you getting a redshirt for the season.

I just don't trust the NCAA. It seems as though they can bend definitions and the rules to "interpret" them however they want.

I posted this on another board, but I'll rehash it here because some people think they know more than someone who's been through this exact situation.

My freshman year of intercollegiate indoor track, I participated in the first two meets. During the second meet, I stepped on an indoor rail and rolled my ankle to the point where I was on crutches for a week. Probably a hairline fracture, but that's not what's important. The important part was I was hurt very badly and was not able to run for a couple weeks.

With a couple weeks left in the indoor season, I was still in good aerobic shape and had the option to go ahead and run. Instead, even though I was cleared to run, I decided not to and instead took the next few weeks to continue to heal and ended up being awarded a 5th year of eligibility down the road. I decided not to use it, but it was given to me. Without hesitation.

It doesn't matter if you're able to play. It's if you do. And if you have a devastating injury like McCall's, no one is going to question you getting a redshirt for the season.

Let me get this straight you ran intercollegiate track and rolled your ankle that bad and you say "probably a hairline fracture" any institution would get an MRI or x-ray on that immediately and you'd know exactly the extent of the injury was.

Let me get this straight you ran intercollegiate track and rolled your ankle that bad and you say "probably a hairline fracture" any institution would get an MRI or x-ray on that immediately and you'd know exactly the extent of the injury was.

I'm trying to figure out if you're calling me a liar - and if you are, I'm just going to move on from that before I start a ******* match with you.

Not to be a dick - but keep saying you know the rules because you've read them and interpreted them to the best of your abilities. I just gave a real-life example on how the process works. But hey, you've interpreted the rules. I've just experienced them first hand. I'll take your side.

:confused:

I'm trying to figure out if you're calling me a liar - and if you are, I'm just going to move on from that before I start a ******* match with you.

Not to be a dick - but keep saying you know the rules because you've read them and interpreted them to the best of your abilities. I just gave a real-life example on how the process works. But hey, you've interpreted the rules. I've just experienced them first hand. I'll take your side.

:confused:

Ive played a D1 sport at 2 different schools, and Ive never heard of any athlete getting a bad ankle sprain and not getting an x-ray or MRI. Im not calling you a liar, I just find it strange. I dropped a weight on my finger in the weight room once and they took an x-ray of my hand just to make sure it wasnt broken.

Ive played a D1 sport at 2 different schools, and Ive never heard of any athlete getting a bad ankle sprain and not getting an x-ray or MRI.

So have I. And just because you roll your ankle doesn't mean you're going straight to the MRI/Xray table.

Either way, that's not what we're talking about here. I'm just letting you know that McCall, if he doesn't play in the last two games, will be granted a redshirt. And that's speaking directly from someone who got one for a very similar situation.

I haven't got to post here yet but I'd like to say that i just read through it and this is disappointing compared to the Coker thread. There's only been some slight dickish behavior, with no common hatable poster. After eight pages you're still asking if McCall can redshirt.....so it's been eight pages of "no he can't", "yes he can", "no he can't", "yes he can". Not much for any good snarky or smart a$$ comments. I could have missed it but no posts from Shane stating he's "here for the gang bang". It needs a whole bunch of left turns and a whole bunch of right turns if this is going to be epic.

Please look up the "can Coker redshirt" thread to how the pros did it. Carry on.

As far as McCall redshirting you'll probably have to wait for the bowl game to find out.

Latest posts