So let's look at McCaffrey' recruiting

Fran couldn't recruit Uthoff so I'm not going to say he deserves credit for recruiting him when he wasn't even allowed to. Marble signed under Lickliter and even the pay board guys were saying he was going to stay committed regardless of who we brought in to replace Lickliter.

sure, cause Uthoff was coming to Iowa before Fran was at Iowa and he saw how he coached and his program, we all know that.

Can't help but look at those 2014-15 classes being complete failures, and it's coming home to roost right now. If those classes had been a success, they would be juniors/seniors right now and Iowa would have a good team, but...

Fran couldn't recruit Uthoff so I'm not going to say he deserves credit for recruiting him when he wasn't even allowed to. Marble signed under Lickliter and even the pay board guys were saying he was going to stay committed regardless of who we brought in to replace Lickliter.
Recruiting is about selling yourself and the program, so while Fran didn’t explicitally call JU up and talk to him, the simple fact that he played an uptempo style and was starting to bring Iowa back towards relevancy helped Iowa land JU. I’m sure JU would have loved to be a hawk coming out of HS but who can blame him for not comitting to the dumpster fire that was there at the time. I know you are pretty dense but that’s pretty strait forward so you should be able to grasp that.

Recruiting is about selling yourself and the program, so while Fran didn’t explicitally call JU up and talk to him, the simple fact that he played an uptempo style and was starting to bring Iowa back towards relevancy helped Iowa land JU. I’m sure JU would have loved to be a hawk coming out of HS but who can blame him for not comitting to the dumpster fire that was there at the time. I know you are pretty dense but that’s pretty strait forward so you should be able to grasp that.

Exactly... and me saying so I guess suggest that Fran cheated. Jeez. I get it, he couldn't make contact with JU, but he came back and he didn't go play for Hoiberg did he? You want to count Marble as not one of his, I am way more with that. But you can't take away the fact he developed him into an All B1G player who is still playing professionally. I know basketball is bigger globally now, but Fran has produced a lot of guys who are getting paid to play, a lot more then I can remember before he got here. That has to be some sort of testament to recruiting and development

So, pay board guys? Again, even Marble said Fran 're-recruited' him. So, you didn't answer my question. Does Fran get partial credit? 10%/20%? Let's have a number. Thanks in advance. :)

Agree.Want things to work out.Us fans like Fran&Co.
I'm a fan, and while I think Fran may be a good guy, I don't think he's a very good coach. Iowa could and should do better. I've been wanting it to work, but I have seen enough meltdowns, and poor recruiting, rotation, and in game coaching decisions that I'm no longer convinced he should be at a major conference basketball coach.

A solid "B", and that's because his wife is hot. Other than that, not worth mentioning. If Fran wasn't coaching at Iowa, where do you suppose his kids and up? UNI? Fran needs to work it a little harder imo. Outside of that, Fran gets a "D"

2010: B
2011: B
2012: B+
2013: B-
2014: F
2015: D-
2016: B
2017: B (may end up higher)

Overall grade C+ due to the absolutely horrendous 2014 & 2015 cycles. We are basically feeling the pain of that right now. Either way needs to be better.

I agree with all of this except the last half of your last sentence.

So, pay board guys? Again, even Marble said Fran 're-recruited' him. So, you didn't answer my question. Does Fran get partial credit? 10%/20%? Let's have a number. Thanks in advance. :)

10% total for Marble and Uthoff. Fran couldn't even talk to Uthoff and Marble was coming here no matter what but I guess Fran did have to make a phone call at least.

Alright, I'm going to be "that guy"....

His last 2 recruiting classes, in addition to his next 2 recruiting classes, other than TC, is full of a bunch of, shall we say, players of Caucasian persuasion. :)

JBo
Nunge
Garza
C. Mac
Weiskamp
CJ Frederick
P Mac

That might be a good lineup for a YMCA rec team....but it is NOT a good lineup for a team from the B1G conference looking to finish higher than, say, 13th.

On top of that, we have a prominent former player who has stated, on the record, that in his 4 years there, Fran RARELY PRACTICED DEFENSE.

It's no wonder we can't (and won't be able to in the near future) stop teams with a pulse from putting up 90+ points against us.

Are we ever planning on recruiting athletic players again?

When I first heard about Fredrick, I was all sorts of excited because my thought was if Fran offered a kid without an available scholarship, he must be ready good. The more I learned, the more disappointed I got. Not because I "know" he will suck. But because I no longer "know" he will be good. If he turns out to be like Gatens, then I'm glad we got him. But if he's anything less, he just wasn't worth bringing in based on what our needs were and how long he had to find a great player. If he doesn't sign 2 great players in 2019, I'll be disappointed too. If he can't succeed while being so far ahead of the recruiting game, how can he ever succeed. As of now, I give him a B-.

Alright, I'm going to be "that guy"....

His last 2 recruiting classes, in addition to his next 2 recruiting classes, other than TC, is full of a bunch of, shall we say, players of Caucasian persuasion. :)

JBo
Nunge
Garza
C. Mac
Weiskamp
CJ Frederick
P Mac

That might be a good lineup for a YMCA rec team....but it is NOT a good lineup for a team from the B1G conference looking to finish higher than, say, 13th.

On top of that, we have a prominent former player who has stated, on the record, that in his 4 years there, Fran RARELY PRACTICED DEFENSE.

It's no wonder we can't (and won't be able to in the near future) stop teams with a pulse from putting up 90+ points against us.

Are we ever planning on recruiting athletic players again?

In first with "white guys are just as good because Larry Bird".

When I first heard about Fredrick, I was all sorts of excited because my thought was if Fran offered a kid without an available scholarship, he must be ready good. The more I learned, the more disappointed I got. Not because I "know" he will suck. But because I no longer "know" he will be good. If he turns out to be like Gatens, then I'm glad we got him. But if he's anything less, he just wasn't worth bringing in based on what our needs were and how long he had to find a great player. If he doesn't sign 2 great players in 2019, I'll be disappointed too. If he can't succeed while being so far ahead of the recruiting game, how can he ever succeed. As of now, I give him a B-.

That was a scholarship filler to a kid who's dad Fran is friends with. You can do things like that when you've got an AD/boss with no scrot to do anything about it....

That was a scholarship filler to a kid who's dad Fran is friends with. You can do things like that when you've got an AD/boss with no scrot to do anything about it....

It might be. Or it might be he has inside knowledge on a steal, under the radar recruit. We don't know yet, but we will eventually. When we find out, I'm gunna be pretty annoyed if you're right. Not because every team doesn't need an Oglesby/Ellingson on the bench, because they do. But because of what we needed when it all went down.

The kid basically committed to walk on so it probably wasn't likely he was going to be really good. I think Fran boxed himself into a corner by saying he will get a scholarship when one becomes available. Right now he could be out recruiting a Juco guard for next year to make an immmediate impact.

The other issue to me is more from a strategical recruting standpoint. I used to not mind the fact that Fran would bring in a sharpshooter because of how valuable the 3pt shot is. The problem is now everyone shoots threes and can make them, so having a guy labeled a 3pt marksmen probably just means he’s not very good. Look at Ellingson last year, he shot near 50%, was he that effective? Not really. Look at Dailey who wasn’t labeled as a shooter but is knocking them down over 40% right now, but is also 6’7 can handle the ball, and is athletic. He wasn’t even a big time recruit. Point being it’s nice to get guys with more skills, and at the very least wth athleticism.

The kid basically committed to walk on so it probably wasn't likely he was going to be really good. I think Fran boxed himself into a corner by saying he will get a scholarship when one becomes available. Right now he could be out recruiting a Juco guard for next year to make an immmediate impact.

The other issue to me is more from a strategical recruting standpoint. I used to not mind the fact that Fran would bring in a sharpshooter because of how valuable the 3pt shot is. The problem is now everyone shoots threes and can make them, so having a guy labeled a 3pt marksmen probably just means he’s not very good. Look at Ellingson last year, he shot near 50%, was he that effective? Not really. Look at Dailey who wasn’t labeled as a shooter but is knocking them down over 40% right now, but is also 6’7 can handle the ball, and is athletic. He wasn’t even a big time recruit. Point being it’s nice to get guys with more skills, and at the very least wth athleticism.

Yea good point. I retract my statement that every one needs a player like that on their team.

10% total for Marble and Uthoff. Fran couldn't even talk to Uthoff and Marble was coming here no matter what but I guess Fran did have to make a phone call at least.

Looks like Fran made more than one phone call. Fran went up to see Marble, twice (at least). Are you sure those pay board guys know anything? :)

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...cle_357aaf63-ba18-5663-8ea2-51e35c553c6e.html

“Dev wasn't sure. Went up there, he recommitted to us, and then started wavering again," McCaffery said. “Typically what happens in those situations, there's people involved making that happen. And whereas you might think I would be upset about that, that wasn't the case at all."

Other people and other schools kept trying to pull Marble in other directions, but McCaffery kept looking at the high school video of a kid who was only 17 years old and had a rare blend of quickness and size. He felt even then he had a chance to be something special.

“We had to go back up there and make sure that he knew and understood just how important we thought he was, what we were going to try to accomplish what our vision, what my vision was for him," McCaffery said.

Intrigued by the style of play and the chance to play right away, Marble committed again.

Connor can walk on, Fran has said numerous times that BE is a senior. There is nothing holding up this staff from recruiting PG's - HS or JC's and they better be. Someone who follows that better could clue us in.

Latest posts