So How big was Moss leaving?

longtimer

Hypothetically if Moss would have been playing at Arkansas and Iowa picked him up for next year as a one year transfer I imagine the Board would be singing the praises of McCaffrey and the likely loss of Bohannon for next year would not have been so hard to take.
Have to agree with most of the Board that the loss of Bohannon, Cook, Moss and Baer taken with the additions we have for next year doesn't generate a lot of anticipation!

My honest answer to this is, if he was good enough (or wasn't good enough) when JBo was healthy, he is/isn't good enough with JBo out. The difference is, he wouldn't have had JBo taking the defense's focus off of him, so we might have gotten less from him.

We lost several players from an under-performing team which played little defense, but could get hot hitting some three pointers. It is not like the NE Patriots dynasty has dismantled. Reload, try something else, the Iowa way. (With existing coaches signed long term of course)

We lost several players from an under-performing team which played little defense, but could get hot hitting some three pointers. It is not like the NE Patriots dynasty has dismantled. Reload, try something else, the Iowa way. (With existing coaches signed long term of course)

Underperforming compared to what? We were in the top 25 most of the year and went to OT in the round of 32.

I don't think you can really call last year's team "under-performing". Hardly anybody had them sniffing the dance yet alone winning a game and losing in OT for a chance to advance to the sweet 16. The defense was improved from the year before but I'll give you that it still wasn't up to par of where it should be.

Underperforming compared to what? We were in the top 25 most of the year and went to OT in the round of 32.
Last year was a good year, not a great year for Iowa. It was actually well above average for the program over the last 20 years. I want it to be better, is it good enough? No probably not, but at the same point you have to recognize it for what it is and stop pretending that you're losing when you're actually winning.

Last year was a good year, not a great year for Iowa. It was actually well above average for the program over the last 20 years. I want it to be better, is it good enough? No probably not, but at the same point you have to recognize it for what it is and stop pretending that you're losing when you're actually winning.

It will never be good enough. You always want more than you have.

I don't think you can really call last year's team "under-performing". Hardly anybody had them sniffing the dance yet alone winning a game and losing in OT for a chance to advance to the sweet 16. The defense was improved from the year before but I'll give you that it still wasn't up to par of where it should be.
I thought they would be in the tournament last year. The team had poor fundamentals, poor defense, and in the big game of the year to advance, didn't show in the first half. JB's three pointer spurts in several games covered up the under-performing nature of the team. Losing in OT means nothing. It was pissed away in the first 20 minutes. Just the way it is. Time to reload, hope for better.

It will never be good enough. You always want more than you have.
Jordan, Magic, Tiger, Bird and many other winners think that way and practice accordingly. It is different than complacency, and rewarding it by minutes and contracts.

Good year is fair, IMHO.

Jordan, Magic, Tiger, Bird and many other winners think that way and practice accordingly. It is different than complacency, and rewarding it by minutes and contracts.

Most everyone does. Its human nature. I doubt Jordan has time to complain on a message board about how Notth Carolina is doing tho. Winners demand more out of themselves. Losers worry about demanding more out of others that they have no control over.

I thought they would be in the tournament last year. The team had poor fundamentals, poor defense, and in the big game of the year to advance, didn't show in the first half. JB's three pointer spurts in several games covered up the under-performing nature of the team. Losing in OT means nothing. It was pissed away in the first 20 minutes. Just the way it is. Time to reload, hope for better.

I understand where you are coming from but you have to look at both the good and the bad. What were your expectations for the team? Sweet 16 and top 5 finish in the conference? If not I don't see how you can definitively say they "under performed".

For the record, they basically matched my expectations. So to me, it wasn't an over or under performing type of season. If you compare the season results to where most outsiders viewed the team though, you can't really say they under performed.

Either way, I agree that the team needs to move on and continue to bring in new pieces hoping to improve the program.

My honest answer to this is, if he was good enough (or wasn't good enough) when JBo was healthy, he is/isn't good enough with JBo out. The difference is, he wouldn't have had JBo taking the defense's focus off of him, so we might have gotten less from him.

i get your logic. a little devil's advocate here, moss also would also have had more scoring opportunities. the reason moss left is because he didn't see the opportunity for minutes with Garza, JBo and JW the top 3. i would just argue that we'd take moss over CJ Fredrick for the '19 season. i'm not saying moss is a dominant player, but i will say that he is a better option than CJF.

i would just argue that we'd take moss over CJ Fredrick for the '19 season. i'm not saying moss is a dominant player, but i will say that he is a better option than CJF.
Totally agree with this. My point was that, with JBo gone, I don't feel like Moss was all of a sudden going to be a superstar or he would've already been that.

I can't imagine a team where Moss was the go to guy. He might get up to a double digit turnover average.

Totally agree with this. My point was that, with JBo gone, I don't feel like Moss was all of a sudden going to be a superstar or he would've already been that.

yep, and you're right. but, he is a good player. he is a legit B1G caliber player. his problem is that he is inconsistent. if moss consistently played to his abilities, he would be a NBA prospect. AR isn't a second rate school in a second rate conference. moss has the talent.

Define a good year. Is .500 in your conference good? Its not bad. Does that make it good?

top 25 3/4's of the season, won a game in the NCAA - showed well and much better than it has in the round of 32 in recent seasons - finished in the top half of what was the toughest conference in the country. Yeah, last season was good, not great. We all want better, but sometimes you have to look at it for what it is. Iowa is likely the 11th or 12th best job in the B1G? Fran is getting paid the 10th or 11th highest in the conference. Take that into consideration and you'll see that Iowa has finished in the top half of the conference in 5 of the last 6 seasons. Iowa has outperformed in some peoples eyes. Not mine, I am not satisfied, but I also look at differently I suppose.

i get your logic. a little devil's advocate here, moss also would also have had more scoring opportunities. the reason moss left is because he didn't see the opportunity for minutes with Garza, JBo and JW the top 3. i would just argue that we'd take moss over CJ Fredrick for the '19 season. i'm not saying moss is a dominant player, but i will say that he is a better option than CJF.
yes - I don't see how it's possible that CJF is going to come in and immediately be a better option than 5th year Isiah Moss. It *could* happen, but I would say the odds are against it.

Latest posts