Site is Infested with Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you the only mod on this board? Is there anyone else we can send a message to when you are gone? That may help.

And the .50 comment is not true, but whatever. Page clicks are what make your site go. Google pays you by site traffic. The more traffic the better. Trolls getting the fanbase base riled up is good for business. Especially during the offseason.

P*ss off and go back to CF. No one wants you here cloneboy.

You do realize you get way less true trolls here than CF does, right? I know ISUer can seem like 20 posters at once, but I haven't seen too many outright trollers here other than the recent barrage. There are plenty of hawk fans over on CF that are great posters. Outright aholes will be banned to keep the board civil. Not a big deal.

Not even close to true.
ISUer
ISUFB
Cyclones17
Sparky
slickwillard
Wassabbe
CardinalandGold
CyChamp
CWooD4
Stewo
CyGuy2
ripvdub
...and the list could go on (and include clown trolls who've been banned already)

Clown trolls on HN outnumber Hawkeye trolls on cyfan by 10-1, I would wager.

Not even close to true.
ISUer
ISUFB
Cyclones17
Sparky
slickwillard
Wassabbe
CardinalandGold
CyChamp
CWooD4
Stewo
CyGuy2
ripvdub
...and the list could go on (and include clown trolls who've been banned already)

You obviously dont understand what the term troll means. Posting on this site as a fan of another school does not make one a troll. Coming on here posting inflammatory comments does. Not all of those people do this.

Not even close to true.
ISUer
ISUFB
Cyclones17
Sparky
slickwillard
Wassabbe
CardinalandGold
CyChamp
CWooD4
Stewo
CyGuy2
ripvdub

Wait, why am I on that list? What am I missing? Is it b/c I made a comment about how trolls help page clicks? I'm really confused

Why are there so many isu fans on this site it seems like all their doing is annoying everybody. Should just kick them ******* off or something

In essence, bans do nothing except stop a person from posting under that user name. You ban somebody they will be back with a new email address and a new screen name. The only way to deal with this is to have a more constant presence on the board, which would mean more mods.

In essence, bans do nothing except stop a person from posting under that user name. You ban somebody they will be back with a new email address and a new screen name. The only way to deal with this is to have a more constant presence on the board, which would mean more mods.

Agreed. Look at Vin. He has been banned from the board, forums, etc. He simply has about 24 different screen names and he keeps coming back.

Right Scorpio?

Didn't there used to be a guy around here named VintageHawkeye, he always seemed to keep an eye out for trolls and hicks from CyFan. Maybe JD should reinstate him as a Mod.

And the .50 comment is not true, but whatever. Page clicks are what make your site go. Google pays you by site traffic. The more traffic the better. Trolls getting the fanbase base riled up is good for business. Especially during the offseason.

1. The ads we run are CPM campaigns...cost per thousand. Or revenue per thousand to the publisher. It takes lots of thousands to generate decent revenues, and we are able to pay the bills. There are also CPC campaigns, which is cost (or revenue) per click. I don't use those.

2. I own a consulting company based on #1, helping other people like me around the nation maximize their online ad revenues. I know a thing or two about what I am talking about, so move on down the line.

3. I don't want and have never wanted traffic for traffic's sake. If I did, I would just let folks swear, post girlie threads, not have any moderation at all. But that's not the environment I want to be a part of or work in.

Last edited:
1. The ads we run are CPM campaigns...cost per thousand. Or revenue per thousand to the publisher. It takes lots of thousands to generate decent revenues, and we are able to pay the bills. There are also CPC campaigns, which is cost (or revenue) per click. I don't use those.

2. I own a consulting company based on #1, helping other people like me around the nation maximize their online ad revenues. I know a thing or two about what I am talking about, so move on down the line.

3. I don't want and have never wanted traffic for traffic's sake. If I did, I would just let folks swear, post girlie threads, not have any moderation at all. But that's not the environment I want to be a part of or work in.

This. Esp #3.
If Jon wanted traffic, for traffic's sake, he would be doing it a heck of a lot differently.

e. And if Jon lets these trolls hang around just because he gets money from it then that is just sad.
Here's how stupid that premise is.Let me tell you how the ad things works. For every 1000 ads that are shown, a site owner on a genre like this MIGHT make $.50 cents during the majority of the year. MAYBE. So a post that has a runaway troll with 1000 views makes me $.50 cents before costs. Do you really think that's what I am aiming for? No

Honest question that probably won't be well received:
So 1000 views makes $.50. I would gladly pay more than that if it meant there was a mirror site that doesn't have ads. While still having a free version. IE: apps on phone that have a paid version to avoid ads. I love the information & banter I get from this site. However, I don't want to risk a virus. I understand this isn't your fault but it is your site. Take my thoughts however you may but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Not even close to true.
ISUer
ISUFB
Cyclones17
Sparky
slickwillard
Wassabbe
CardinalandGold
CyChamp
CWooD4
Stewo
CyGuy2
ripvdub

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM]Mr. Trololo original upload - YouTube[/ame]

So 1000 views makes $.50. I would gladly pay more than that if it meant there was a mirror site that doesn't have ads. While still having a free version. IE: apps on phone that have a paid version to avoid ads. I love the information & banter I get from this site. However, I don't want to risk a virus. I understand this isn't your fault but it is your site. Take my thoughts however you may but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I agree. I really like the conversation on this site, but after trying everything to remove the malware yesterday, I couldn't accomplish it.

So, viewing this site actually ended up costing me a lot of money. I'm still going to do some things to try to remedy the problem, but I've followed all of the advice and still have the problem.

I am considering this very notion right now. Always appreciate feedback

I agree. I really like the conversation on this site, but after trying everything to remove the malware yesterday, I couldn't accomplish it.

So, viewing this site actually ended up costing me a lot of money. I'm still going to do some things to try to remedy the problem, but I've followed all of the advice and still have the problem.

Sounds like the site is infested with more than just trolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts