SIAP Kirk to team at half

Very unscientific, but, this seems to be the 4th season I can recall where the players "quit" on the coaching/leadership (06, 07, 10, 12)...

...to me, the 2010 season is my ultimate disappointing season, considering all the talent we had returning coupled with the fact we wayyyy underachieved and finally, coupled with the fact the team quit at the end of the regular season.

The frequency of "quitting" IMO lays directly on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

Iowa Historical Scores

This team hasn't quit, they just aren't good. The team played MUCH better in the 2nd half yesterday, as the first half was laughable.

The problem with this team? We belong at the bottom of the bigTen with Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota and would probably only go .500 if those were the only teams we played.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that we have such a lack of talent or scheme is a huge deal and completely on the coaches, but quit is something this team has not done.

Very unscientific, but, this seems to be the 4th season I can recall where the players "quit" on the coaching/leadership (06, 07, 10, 12)...

...to me, the 2010 season is my ultimate disappointing season, considering all the talent we had returning coupled with the fact we wayyyy underachieved and finally, coupled with the fact the team quit at the end of the regular season.

The frequency of "quitting" IMO lays directly on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

Iowa Historical Scores

2010 and 2005 rank as my 2 most disappointing seasons.

2010 Iowa should have been no worse than 11-2. The wheels came off after the fake punt by Wisconsin that year.

This season, Iowa just isn't good and a lot of people saw it coming for a long time. Myself included. That's why I'm not nearly as upset as others. The bigger question is whether or not we think this is a permanent situation, or a momentary bump in the road.

Personally, I think Iowa starts climbing the mountain again as we go forward. Lot of adversity and changes to deal with this year that were too much for this team to overcome.

Hey coach, make some gosh darn changes to the scheme then! What you're doing obviously isn't working. JV still threw a pass short of the marker on that critical 4th down, the receiver still ran a route that was too short, and then the defenses that were called allowed purdue to get in scoring range and win the game. Perhaps a big part of the reason the kids are playing like crap is because they feel that no matter how hard they play they aren't going to win.

Perhaps KF Should look in a mirror to fid the real problrm at Iowa.

I heard he got pretty heated as well. I bet it looked like this...

Kirk%2BFerentz%2B3.jpg

Yea, he's like 'you really don't want me to put my hands on my hips' and the players are like 'oh , no did'n'

2010 Iowa should have been no worse than 11-2. The wheels came off after the fake punt by Wisconsin that year.

This season, Iowa just isn't good and a lot of people saw it coming for a long time. Myself included. That's why I'm not nearly as upset as others. The bigger question is whether or not we think this is a permanent situation, or a momentary bump in the road.

Personally, I think Iowa starts climbing the mountain again as we go forward. Lot of adversity and changes to deal with this year that were too much for this team to overcome.

OK ,you could see this season coming? Don't you think the 4 mil man should have seen it? Then beat feet on the JC recruiting trail to shore up our d line.. The biggest coaching fiasco this year is his stubborn refusal to play a different QB. WE'll see new excuses from the blind next year for his inept coaching.

The biggest fiasco is the lack of overall team speed..... and he's chewing players out because of a lack of team speed. His past successes and failures were based on team speed and what separated Iowa from the rest of the B1G and helped in doing well against the SEC. That will take years to repair. Speed makes up for lack of imagination and inspiration. When everyone knows what you are going to do and you are faster than the team you know well, the outcome is very predictable.

Iowa could have lost to NIU and MSU and a UNI loss wasn't far fetched. Iowa isn't far from his first team. This didn't happen over night and he's upset now because he's getting ridiculed on the national stage? Class....

This team (a) hasn't quit, they (b) just aren't good. The team played MUCH better in the 2nd half yesterday, as the first half was laughable.

The problem with this team? We belong at the bottom of the bigTen with Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota and would probably only go .500 if those were the only teams we played.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that we have such a lack of talent or scheme is a huge deal and completely on the coaches, but quit is something this team has not done.

While I agree with (b), have to agree to disagree with (a)....which is why KF got all hot and bothered at halftime, and, the subject of this thread.

I.e. it appears some guys were quitting, infecting the entire team.

I feel like we hired Lickliter because of the way Ferentz was/is. Another reason to be frustrated with Ferentz

Look, I know Kurt deserves a lot of criticism, but lately, it seems like Kurt is becoming just a projection that we can literally toss anything bad at.

Blaming Kurt for Liq's failure? That is just beyond the pale idiocy there.

While I agree with (b), have to agree to disagree with (a)....which is why KF got all hot and bothered at halftime, and, the subject of this thread.

I.e. it appears some guys were quitting, infecting the entire team.

WTF??? Whar did teh Seth come from? Whut up man?

Also, agree with what you said.

Hey coach, make some gosh darn changes to the scheme then! What you're doing obviously isn't working. JV still threw a pass short of the marker on that critical 4th down, the receiver still ran a route that was too short, and then the defenses that were called allowed purdue to get in scoring range and win the game. Perhaps a big part of the reason the kids are playing like crap is because they feel that no matter how hard they play they aren't going to win.

Agreed. Spot on here. KF can blame injuries, lack of effort or outstanding play by the other team, but bottom line is this: HIS Philosophy on Offense stinks and is not what works in the current football landscape. Unless you have a top 10 Defense, the college game is all about scoring points in bunches. If you can't put up a ton of points.....your screwed.

KF is the problem not the players execution, injuries, or anything else. If he buries his ego and fires Greg Davis and brings in a young, inventive Offensive coordinator....then I will get back to having faith in him. If he continues to try the same schemes and expecting different results, then he needs to be gone.

Kirk does need to do one thing that we all can agree on...either stop being so conservative on offense or start getting guys who can run that offense so well that it's not perceived as conservative. Any offense can be "high powered" if you're getting the caliber of players to make it so. 90% of your recruits can't be "diamonds in the rough" or "under the radar" guys when you rely solely on out executing the other side because you're at a physical disadvantage at more than half of the positions on the field.

The thing is, I believe Brian and Levar and co. have been out getting faster, better players...but this move should've been done when Iowa was bringing in the second to last and last in the Big10 recruiting classes...not after 2 years of it. The fans are restless and it's understandable.

Kirk is labeled as a "Bill Belichick Disciple" and coached under Hayden Fry (which brought him back to Iowa in the first place)...neither one of those 2 guys insisted on doing the "status quo"...so start scratching where it itches and adapt...

Exactly. Inject some life into the game. Someone needs to unload on him. (Ferentz) A middle school coach could manage a game better than what Ferentz has shown. It took all of about 5 minutes at the game yesterday to see that Purdue was pulling out all stops to win the game as far as play calling, etc. Iowa was just the same old Iowa.

3 offensive series yesterday pretty much defined our entire season:

2nd and 1 early in the game. No first down
2nd and 2. No first down
and our last drive. Nothing. Turned the ball over and left time on the clock for Purdue to score. We called a timeout because, as usual, we were unprepared for the situation. We had the opportunity to make sure we were the only team with a chance to win in regulation and we screwed it up. Just like always under Ferentz.

Iowa's best offensive plays all day were (2) quarterback scrambles. Says all you need to know about our offense.

Kirk does need to do one thing that we all can agree on...either stop being so conservative on offense or start getting guys who can run that offense so well that it's not perceived as conservative. Any offense can be "high powered" if you're getting the caliber of players to make it so. 90% of your recruits can't be "diamonds in the rough" or "under the radar" guys when you rely solely on out executing the other side because you're at a physical disadvantage at more than half of the positions on the field.

The thing is, I believe Brian and Levar and co. have been out getting faster, better players...but this move should've been done when Iowa was bringing in the second to last and last in the Big10 recruiting classes...not after 2 years of it. The fans are restless and it's understandable.

Kirk is labeled as a "Bill Belichick Disciple" and coached under Hayden Fry (which brought him back to Iowa in the first place)...neither one of those 2 guys insisted on doing the "status quo"...so start scratching where it itches and adapt...

To be fair, the last two Iowa recruiting classes were ranked 3rd and 4th in the Big Ten, respectively. The issue with speed at WR became an issue when Greg Davis entered the picture. In order for him to revamp the Iowa offense, he needs more of it.

I agree with what you said about Brian and Levar. I think they will help to improve Iowa's recruiting results. Young, energetic and successful assistant coaches seem to be the best recruiters. Both are young and energetic, and Brian is extremely successful thus far.

Aw Jeez guys, did you never get chewed out at half time in the locker room? Most of us have. It's used world wide by succesful coaches. Sometimes it'succesful, sometimes not. Do any of you being critical of this technique know what was said by coaches in the Purdue locker room at half time? Maybe it worked for them. We lost a close game to a Big 10 team. Get over it, instead of placing blame on those who undoubtedly feel worse about it than you.

This game was not close. That's the sad fact. Purdue kicked our *** all over the field. They TRIED VERY HARD to let us win and we still couldn't get the job done. They gave us two touchdowns, missed a chip shot field goal and had 100 yards in penalties and we still couldn't beat a team that hadn't won a Big 10 game.
And it would be easier to get over it if we had a glimmer of hope that something will change. It is obvious that it will not.

According to a few sources Ive seen, kirk told the whole team to leave if they didn't want to be there, and that this wasn't hawkeye football. Bigach and Boffeli also said it was the maddest they had ever seen him.

Sure looked like the team really respects Kurt. At least as much as I do.

Iowa had better start the climb, because the schedule in the coming years will be much more difficult than this 'joke of a schedule" that we are about to complete at 4-8.

Exactly. Inject some life into the game. Someone needs to unload on him. (Ferentz) A middle school coach could manage a game better than what Ferentz has shown. It took all of about 5 minutes at the game yesterday to see that Purdue was pulling out all stops to win the game as far as play calling, etc. Iowa was just the same old Iowa.

3 offensive series yesterday pretty much defined our entire season:

2nd and 1 early in the game. No first down
2nd and 2. No first down
and our last drive. Nothing. Turned the ball over and left time on the clock for Purdue to score. We called a timeout because, as usual, we were unprepared for the situation. We had the opportunity to make sure we were the only team with a chance to win in regulation and we screwed it up. Just like always under Ferentz.

Iowa's best offensive plays all day were (2) quarterback scrambles. Says all you need to know about our offense.

Good post. Spot on. The best plays were when JVB was forced to run, and that is sad. He ain't no Denard Robinson.

Last edited:

Latest posts