Should Iowa just eliminate the WR position?

Man I forgot how pass happy Alabama was. I'm sure they never asked Jones to block. Also, I didn't realize that NW was WR U. They don't have a bunch of game breakers, they run a lot of 5 yard crossing routes that get them open. I'm sure Iowa would have plenty of open WR if they ran these routes every game. Also, NW was 6-7, so I don't really think I would exchange much with them.

Comparing McNutt to Jones, Blackmon, Crabtree etc. is dumb. No Iowa is not going to get those talents, we know that. Iowa did have a guy a few years ago that was blazing fast, and he had hands of stone. (Chaney). I agree that Iowa would be best served to have a guy that can flat out fly and catch like Harvin, but there aren't a ton of those guys around. Some teams do well without a burner.

Consider yourself proven, now go back in your hole.
REC YDS TD AVG LONG
82 1315 12 16.0 88 McNutt 2011

78 1133 7 14.5 68 Julio Jones 2010

But what if Jones played in the B1G, his numbers would have been double because our conference is sooo slow..... He's right we should just scrap our receiving core and just play down hill football all game, I think we found a replacement for KOK.

I disagree with the OP, but how can you say this about a rookie that just had 959 yards and 8 TD's? This guy will be a good in the NFL for a long time.

Jones is a good WR, don't have any qualms with that. Jones didn't live up to the hype in college, however. And I don't see him being the elite level (and I hate that cliche, but the media clung to it) NFL WR like so many predict. I don't ever see him being in the conversation with Rice, Moss and other greats and so many time in his college career he was predicted to be that great.

:eek:This is a philosophical issue/question. I almost think KF should simply eliminate the WR position at Iowa and reclassify it as Outside ends or some other line position just for blocking. The only reason Iowa uses WRs are really just to clear the secondary away from the offensive line so the RB has a chance. It's pretty clear after about 13 seasons of handoff left, handoff right, lame pass on 3rd and long, that WRs are sort of a wasted category at UI.

We never have real gamebreaker receivers anyway, so why pretend? Just pull them and toss more TEs on the field. Or linebackers. KF never seems to have enought LBs.

Indiana and Purdue can get receivers. NW even has a pretty nice receiving bunch. But not Iowa. We have receivers that make linemen look fast. ISU has actual prototype WRs. Nebraska has WRs. Kansas has 'em. Baylor has them. Boise has them. Where are Iowa's?

Not Iowa. We make QBs into receivers. We use receivers to block for RBs. At Iowa, WRs are just TEs that have yet to grow or add bulk. Give em time......Ole Kirk will have them beefed and slow and primed to block by next year.

Watch the movie "Charly" or read the book "Flowers for Algernon". It would help you understand the process of getting "dumber", which you seem to be doing with each post you make.

You don't think DJK or McNutt were game-breakers? Or Clinton Solomon?

Frankly, our WRs did NOT block well downfield until Eric Campbell became receivers coach.

Give it a rest.

Why would a good + WR want to come to Iowa? That is the question that should be asked. McNutt came here as a QB and stood on the sidelines his freshman year despite KF telling everybody he was the best athlete on the team. Here's a tip: Get your best athletes on the field in some way, shape, or form. Our passing game is anemic and KF seems to be embrace the "Fry Plan" of playing guys based on seniority, not talent. We land Hamilton from Ohio and he gets stuck behind Derby and Herman? Despite numerous drops and false starts, Herman gets PT, while RB's who fumble or miss a block get sent to the gulag.

"Best athlete" doesn't mean "field-ready", for one thing. Put Michael Jordan or Usain Bolt on our sidelines and you can say "Best athlete standing on our sideline!". Would you play either one?

Oh. So stats it is.

Julio Jones: NFL combine 40 yd dash: 4.39 seconds

Vertical leap: 38 1/2"

CHECK MATE

:eek:

How in he&& does THAT mean "CHECK MATE"?!

Measureables are great. I always love it when people post 100-meter times, or even better, 200- and 400-meter times.

When you can show me a pass pattern designed for 100 meters, out of starting blocks, with no defender in the path, and a QB that can throw that far...

BTW, McNutt has not yet run at the combine, and DJK was not invited (for obvious reasons). But their "listed" 40 times were far from "slow", and in fact, DJK at one point was listed at 4.39, IIRC.

Was IOWA even on Julio Jones's radar?

Why would a good + WR want to come to Iowa? That is the question that should be asked. McNutt came here as a QB and stood on the sidelines his freshman year despite KF telling everybody he was the best athlete on the team. Here's a tip: Get your best athletes on the field in some way, shape, or form. Our passing game is anemic and KF seems to be embrace the "Fry Plan" of playing guys based on seniority, not talent. We land Hamilton from Ohio and he gets stuck behind Derby and Herman? Despite numerous drops and false starts, Herman gets PT, while RB's who fumble or miss a block get sent to the gulag.

Anemic..... really? We finished 3rd in the B1G - 20 ypg behind the leaders. If our recievers clean up 2 drops a game we lead the conference.

Oh. So stats it is.

Julio Jones: NFL combine 40 yd dash: 4.39 seconds

Vertical leap: 38 1/2"

CHECK MATE

:eek:

Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 That guy must have SUCKED big time compared to Julio Jones and his 4.39....BTW Darius Heyward-Bey ran a 4.3 is he > Julio Jones and Jerry Rice?

Speed doesn't make a great receiver. I would actually argue most of the best receivers weren't huge speed guys at all. They run fast enough, but other areas of receiving is what made them great. Great off the LOS, good separation, great hands and great concentration, knowing how to run routes, knowing were the soft spots of zone are, etc. Flat out 40 speed rarely means anything at all......

I actually hate myself for responding to such a troll....

Give it up Darth...

_three%20stooges%20face%20palm.jpg

The OP is obviously exaggerating quite a bit. However, I get his point, that football has evolved quite a bit in the last decade or so. Most clubs create mismatches by spreading field with 5 athletic wides (which many times allows a team to run better due to a 'spread out' defense). Stubborn defenses like ours will ATTEMPT to cover those speady WRs all over the field, with little or no success.
Our offense (and defense) for that matter is antiquated. The 3-yards-in-a-cloud-of-dust days are long gone, but we don't seem to think so. Our O and D NEED TO EVOLVE QUICKLY, or we will be 'left in a cloud of dust'!

Jones is a good WR, don't have any qualms with that. Jones didn't live up to the hype in college, however. And I don't see him being the elite level (and I hate that cliche, but the media clung to it) NFL WR like so many predict. I don't ever see him being in the conversation with Rice, Moss and other greats and so many time in his college career he was predicted to be that great.

Well Rice and Moss will be regarded as two of the best ever so I don't think it's a bad thing to not live up to their status. Moss had an unprecedented 17 TD's as a rookie and couldn't be stopped.

I could easily see Jones be a multi-time pro bowler and be compared to other good receivers over the past few years like Dwayne Bowe, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne and Marques Colston.

I see McNutt as more of a Michael Jenkins or Marcus Robinson type. A number 2 or 3 option for a team that gets somewhere in the 400-600 yards receiving per year.

Last edited:
Well Rice and Moss will be regarded as two of the best ever so I don't think it's a bad thing to not live up to their status. Moss had an unprecented 17 TD's as a rookie and couldn't be stopped.

I could easily see Jones be a multi-time pro bowler and be compared to other good receivers over the past few years like Dwayne Bowe, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne and Marques Colston.

They weren't comparing him to the latter, they were comparing him to the former. Which is where my point lies. I never said he was bad. I said he has been severely over-hyped by some.

I see McNutt as more of a Michael Jenkins or Marcus Robinson type. A number 2 or 3 option for a team that gets somewhere in the 400-600 yards receiving per yer.

I hope you're right. McNutt has some work to do to perform well against NFL caliber defenders. It'd be nice to see him progress into that.

They weren't comparing him to the latter, they were comparing him to the former. Which is where my point lies. I never said he was bad. I said he has been severely over-hyped by some.

I hope you're right. McNutt has some work to do to perform well against NFL caliber defenders. It'd be nice to see him progress into that.

If he is compared to Rice and Moss he is probably overhyped. But comparing big receivers to Moss seems to be a common theme. The same comparisons were assigned to Plaxico when he came out. That doesn't mean that he didn't amount to much. This is kind of how everyone compares good nba rookies to the next Jordan.

The jury is still out on Julio. At worst, he is going to be a good NFL receiver based on his year one #'s. He also only played 13 games this season. If he played a full season, he would have had over 1,000 yards and possibly 9-10 TD's.

Watch the movie "Charly" or read the book "Flowers for Algernon". It would help you understand the process of getting "dumber", which you seem to be doing with each post you make.

You don't think DJK or McNutt were game-breakers? Or Clinton Solomon?

Frankly, our WRs did NOT block well downfield until Eric Campbell became receivers coach.

Give it a rest.

Flowers for Algernon reference? nice.

You guys a fools. DJK= troll. DJK was just a poor man's wannabe BJ Cunningham. McNutt=S_L_O_W Um, Blackmon anyone? Julio? Or how about guys like NWs bevvy of short but fast WRs that are constantly open across the field? Waiting to be proven wrong. Love you guys :eek:
Wanna know what is funny about this. Mcnutt is actually faster than blackmon in a 40. Oh and they had the exact same regular season receiving yards.

The OP is obviously exaggerating quite a bit. However, I get his point, that football has evolved quite a bit in the last decade or so. Most clubs create mismatches by spreading field with 5 athletic wides (which many times allows a team to run better due to a 'spread out' defense). Stubborn defenses like ours will ATTEMPT to cover those speady WRs all over the field, with little or no success.
Our offense (and defense) for that matter is antiquated. The 3-yards-in-a-cloud-of-dust days are long gone, but we don't seem to think so. Our O and D NEED TO EVOLVE QUICKLY, or we will be 'left in a cloud of dust'!

So you think having the single greatest season as a receiver at Iowa does not reflect getting him involved in the offense?

Latest posts