Should Iowa just eliminate the WR position?

If he is compared to Rice and Moss he is probably overhyped. But comparing big receivers to Moss seems to be a common theme. The same comparisons were assigned to Plaxico when he came out. That doesn't mean that he didn't amount to much. This is kind of how everyone compares good nba rookies to the next Jordan.

The jury is still out on Julio. At worst, he is going to be a good NFL receiver based on his year one #'s. He also only played 13 games this season. If he played a full season, he would have had over 1,000 yards and possibly 9-10 TD's.

The jury may be out, but it's not deliberating on whether he is the next Rice or Moss. :)

You seem to be acting as if I don't understand that Julio will amount to something with that comment and the explanation of the Jordan reference. When that's precisely my point. Yet, there are still people that actually believe that garbage...

:eek:This is a philosophical issue/question. I almost think KF should simply eliminate the WR position at Iowa and reclassify it as Outside ends or some other line position just for blocking. The only reason Iowa uses WRs are really just to clear the secondary away from the offensive line so the RB has a chance. It's pretty clear after about 13 seasons of handoff left, handoff right, lame pass on 3rd and long, that WRs are sort of a wasted category at UI.

We never have real gamebreaker receivers anyway, so why pretend? Just pull them and toss more TEs on the field. Or linebackers. KF never seems to have enought LBs.

Indiana and Purdue can get receivers. NW even has a pretty nice receiving bunch. But not Iowa. We have receivers that make linemen look fast. ISU has actual prototype WRs. Nebraska has WRs. Kansas has 'em. Baylor has them. Boise has them. Where are Iowa's?

Not Iowa. We make QBs into receivers. We use receivers to block for RBs. At Iowa, WRs are just TEs that have yet to grow or add bulk. Give em time......Ole Kirk will have them beefed and slow and primed to block by next year.

What you've just said, is one of the most insanely, idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in you're rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

This notion that we are a run-first, pass averse offense is just flat-out wrong. We were a passing team this year, and the numbers back that up. Just for comparison, here are passing numbers as a percentage of total offense as compared to a) Michigan (to whom we just lost Darboh and Chesson), and b) Texas (who has the highest ranked recruiting class of wide receivers for 2012):

Percentage of offensive yards from passing:

Iowa: 2836 out of 4550 = 62%
Michigan: 2249 out of 5077 = 44%
Texas: 2323 out of 4848 = 48%

Percentage of offensive plays from passing:

Iowa: 367 out of 784 = 48%
Michigan: 262 out of 792 = 33%
Texas: 334 out of 888 = 38%

It should be obvious to anyone looking at the current Iowa offense that passing is a huge part of what we do. Any receiver should be salivating at the chance to come to Iowa and play with Vandenberg, Sokol and Rudock. We use our receivers more than most teams.

This notion that we are a run-first, pass averse offense is just flat-out wrong. We were a passing team this year, and the numbers back that up. Just for comparison, here are passing numbers as a percentage of total offense as compared to a) Michigan (to whom we just lost Darboh and Chesson), and b) Texas (who has the highest ranked recruiting class of wide receivers for 2012):

It should be obvious to anyone looking at the current Iowa offense that passing is a huge part of what we do. Any receiver should be salivating at the chance to come to Iowa and play with Vandenberg, Sokol and Rudock. We use our receivers more than most teams.

Michigan had a unique situation this season with a dual threat qb. Let's compare their history with ours at WR.

Current WR in the NFL
Michigan: Jason Avant, Adrian Arrignton, Mario Manningham, Steve Breaston, Braylon Edwards

Iowa: ???

They've also had good NFL receivers in the past with Anthony Carter, Amani Toomer, Desmond Howard and Derrick Alexander

Consider yourself proven, now go back in your hole.
REC YDS TD AVG LONG
82 1315 12 16.0 88 McNutt 2011

78 1133 7 14.5 68 Julio Jones 2010

How many yards did McNutt get against 'good' pass defenses like, for example, PSU, Nebby, and Oklahoma (and Georgia Tech and Missouri)?
Yes I know, this year, Vandy had something to do with that.

I mean, even a pirate with a hook for an arm could get good passing numbers against the likes of, for example, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue, and any cupcake 'division III' team.

EDIT: and Bond's posting is just rhetoric. It doesn't say anything. It doesn't prove anything. It just tries to stir up emotions. Anybody catch the irony?

Last edited:
Give it up Darth...

_three%20stooges%20face%20palm.jpg

Hi dood. The guy below you understands.....SATIRE.

:eek:

So you think having the single greatest season as a receiver at Iowa does not reflect getting him involved in the offense?

I think other teams have the pass offense figured out.

Other teams >>>>>>> Iowa in terms of pass offense.

Actually, it isn't JUST WRs that don't attend Iowa. WR is just the most obvious position in need of talent upgrades. Baylor.............Houston.............Ok. State..................Boise St...................Oregon State................Boston College................West Virginia.....................Cincinnatti........................Missouri......................Marshall................................and lots of other teams have had marquee receivers RECENTLY.

Why is a slow converted QB our top hombre?

WINNER.

So, the question is now: Why aren't they flocking here? Figure that out and you are on the way home.

I think other teams have the pass offense figured out.

Other teams >>>>>>> Iowa in terms of pass offense.

Actually, it isn't JUST WRs that don't attend Iowa. WR is just the most obvious position in need of talent upgrades. Baylor.............Houston.............Ok. State..................Boise St...................Oregon State................Boston College................West Virginia.....................Cincinnatti........................Missouri......................Marshall................................and lots of other teams have had marquee receivers RECENTLY.

Why is a slow converted QB our top hombre?

Name me a marquee receiver on each of those teams that will be relevant in the NFL and is relevant even on the college level (other than OK state)

Name me a marquee receiver on each of those teams that will be relevant in the NFL and is relevant even on the college level (other than OK state)

I'm not doing your homework for you. Boise is a nice example.

What you're implying makes my point even stronger. Take the average WR at Boise and stand them next to the average WR at Iowa.

One is going to be a swiss army knife player, not great at any one thing, but perhaps passable at many things......blocking, tackling, etc.

The other is focused on just a couple: getting open, making a catch, moving the chains and scoring.

It really does come down to HOW the personnel is used.

And one of those paradigms sucks for WRs.

What you're implying makes my point even stronger. Take the average WR at Boise and stand them next to the average WR at Iowa.

One is going to be a swiss army knife player, not great at any one thing, but perhaps passable at many things......blocking, tackling, etc.

The other is focused on just a couple: getting open, making a catch, moving the chains and scoring.

you still haven't answered the question. why are they better than Iowa receivers? because they can't block? Boise runs a completely different offense where short 5 yard routes are always open, and their competition is a step down from Iowa's.

My point is that there are very few elite receivers or ones that are better than McNutt in college football. Very few, yet you believe that Iowa has the worst WR corp. I don't see it and you can't convince me with comparisons to players like Blackmon. There are exceptional athletes out there, but there are only a few teams that can get them. There aren't a ton of teams that can get those recruits. There aren't a ton of players that have 4.39 speed that can catch and block.

so why is having a reciever who can catch, block, and has decent speed (not blazing) so bad?

Michigan had a unique situation this season with a dual threat qb. Let's compare their history with ours at WR.

Current WR in the NFL
Michigan: Jason Avant, Adrian Arrignton, Mario Manningham, Steve Breaston, Braylon Edwards

Iowa: ???

They've also had good NFL receivers in the past with Anthony Carter, Amani Toomer, Desmond Howard and Derrick Alexander

I think you and I are arguing different points. I am not talking about our legacy at WR. Clearly, Michigan and other schools have richer player legacies than us. I am talking about the false perception that we are a run-first team. That simply isn't true, and it hasn't been for a while. What we are doing in the passing game is working. It's running the football where we've been having problems, and that is something that people just aren't willing to admit, for whatever reason.

5184976413_09f423ce8d.jpg

WINNER.

So, the question is now: Why aren't they flocking here? Figure that out and you are on the way home.

My theory is: 'good',experienced receivers don't come to Iowa even though Iowa's offense is alot of passing because of atmosphere and because Iowa's offense doesn't prepare the receiver for the pros.

(1) Iowa's pass defense isn't intricate. IOW in practice, Iowa's pass defense doesn't force Iowa's pass offense to 'go to another level'-be more intricate or more pro-like.
(2) Ferentz doesn't want the offense to make mistakes.
(3) Iowa is a bootcamp.

Last edited:

Latest posts