Should He Stay or Should He Go? (My thoughts on Lickliter)

I disagree that Barta will be giving Lick an Alfordian ultimatum...that time has passed.
It will be a short meeting,with Lick getting his walking papers, I predict.
That FU comment by Lick in his postgame presser alluding to his excellent health is a clear signal that he is not going quietly....and so Barta is free to make it quick and decisive.

SA won ballgames,and recruited at a Big Ten level for at least 5 of his 8 years..so he deserved some tiny bit of loyalty from the fanbase,off court crap aside.

Lick has really done nothing to deserve any loyalty from the Iowa fan base,imo.
I cannot think of a single aspect of the bb operation in which he has excelled or even been average. Can anyone else cite something he has done well?

Time to cut the cord. Move on. And start fresh with someone that can actually meet the #1 challenge of Iowa bb- talent procurement. For as long as I can remember,and as long as we will live, that will always be the #1 hurdle for Iowa. Address that challenge,Mr Barta, do not run from it,like you tried with the lick hire!

He should go. He has lost the confidence of the majority of the fans and reports seem to indicate he has lost the confidence of some of his players. If he stays and loses a couple of experience players then we will see a repeat of this season again next season. Then he will be gone anyway, and the players who are down with him will end up transferring. There will be some collateral damage whether he leaves now or next season, so he may as well just be on his way now.

My simple timeline {JMO}
1.Meeting
2.Lick gets news
3.Lick figures out Zone not illegal
4.After game Healthy
5.Good at what I do.
6. Waiting for check
IMO he gone

I disagree that Barta will be giving Lick an Alfordian ultimatum...that time has passed.
It will be a short meeting,with Lick getting his walking papers, I predict.
That FU comment by Lick in his postgame presser alluding to his excellent health is a clear signal that he is not going quietly....and so Barta is free to make it quick and decisive.

SA won ballgames,and recruited at a Big Ten level for at least 5 of his 8 years..so he deserved some tiny bit of loyalty from the fanbase,off court crap aside.

Lick has really done nothing to deserve any loyalty from the Iowa fan base,imo.
I cannot think of a single aspect of the bb operation in which he has excelled or even been average. Can anyone else cite something he has done well?

Time to cut the cord. Move on. And start fresh with someone that can actually meet the #1 challenge of Iowa bb- talent procurement. For as long as I can remember,and as long as we will live, that will always be the #1 hurdle for Iowa. Address that challenge,Mr Barta, do not run from it,like you tried with the lick hire!

Agree. Lick has ZERO chance of coming back, the only option might be to resign on his own which he will not do. I do not know how you can even think that possibility exists Stormin. Barta was clear on Thursday on his intentions, by not supporting Lick publically he essentially threw him under the bus. Barta is not stupid, he knows exactly what he did and why. Lick is gone and I cannot wait to get someone else driving the Iowa hoops ship. Lick has done enough, hit the road pal.

Last edited:
Stormin, I was in the camp of give Lick another year most of this season. In fact, I still believe that with the right players, his offense is very difficult to stop. It's very similar to Wisconsin's flex but our screens are on the ball to create mismatches on the switch and theirs are off the ball. Further, there is no doubt that his teams play defense. With our personnel, its no small feat to keep the likes of MSU and their superior athletes to 60 points.

However, the problem lies way outside the court. Lick has made no efforts to endear himself to Hawk fans. If GB outlines that Lick must make the I-club rounds and sell himself, the program, and take responsibility for the things that play into the worst 3 year stretch in Iowa BBall history, are you buying? All I hear are his weak excuses about how unfortunate it is to play on the road on back to back senior days, etc, no matter what he tries to sell over lunch in July.

When you couple that with the results on the floor, especially our last 3 road games, I do not see how GB can justify keeping TL around. Losing at NW by almost 30 after 8 days off? That shows a lack of preparation in my book, then the total lack of effort against MN and WI, shows to me that the players are not competing? Why? If there is a justifiable answer to that question (and I don't think the best spinster on the planet can come up with one), I could stomach another year.

Iowa BBall is at a crossroads of relevancy and GB has an opportunity to make a Hayden Fry type hire...

FB/HP - I understand your comments. I wrote the piece basically to encapsulate all that I have been saying the past few days. My thoughts on what is going to happen this week between Barta/Lick. The subject of those matters. I also put out there the webs that are weaving down in IC, as well without getting into specifics. I also put out how much more attractive the Iowa job is now compared to when Lickilter was hired.

It wasn't meant to be mind-blowing, just basically a recap and thoughts on what could/should happen.

There is no way this man will be retained by GB. He will not,nor does he deserve the ultimatum that SA received. This coach is so far down the list from SA its amazing.

Agree. Lick has ZERO chance of coming back, the only option might be to resign on his own which he will not do. I do not know how you can even think that possibility exists Stormin. Barta was clear on Thursday on his intentions, by not supporting Lick publically he essentially threw him under the bus. Barta is not stupid, he knows exactly what he did and why. Lick is gone and I cannot wait to get someone else driving the Iowa hoops ship. Lick has done enough, hit the road pal.

Or maybe since Barta has all ready given Lick two public votes of confidence, he felt like he didn't need to issue a third.

Spank, where do you get the ESPN #26 ranking? I have an ESPN Insider membership and they have the top 25, which Iowa is not in, and the 5 on the cusp, which Iowa is also not in. That would be the top 30, I think.

I would be shocked if Lick were to receive another year at this point. It seems fairly clear to me that Barta had meetings with the players and something came out of those meetings that he didn't like. Barta knows this story is red hot right now and if he was standing by his man, he would have released something. No way he let's these types of rumors run this rampant without reaching out to someone, if there isn't some truth in them.

Spank, I agree that the facilities make this a much better job. I think you can also add that the Big 10 expansion will create additional revenue as well. I know that won't be next year, but Iowa being in the Big 10 is a very enviable position from a financial stanpoint for the future.

I also think that's why Pollard wasn't able to make a move at ISU. The uncertainty that is circling around the Big 12 (thanks to the Big 10 expansion) is really making AD's at schools like ISU wonder what their budgets may be in the future. Barta on the other hand knows he's in a very strong position long term.

The Big 10 expansion also makes Iowa a better job this go around IMO.

Latest posts