Should He Stay or Should He Go? (My thoughts on Lickliter)

FB/HP - I understand your comments. I wrote the piece basically to encapsulate all that I have been saying the past few days. My thoughts on what is going to happen this week between Barta/Lick. The subject of those matters. I also put out there the webs that are weaving down in IC, as well without getting into specifics. I also put out how much more attractive the Iowa job is now compared to when Lickilter was hired.

It wasn't meant to be mind-blowing, just basically a recap and thoughts on what could/should happen.

I thought from reading the title that it was going to be a piece about what you thought GB would do. What do you think, by the way? :)

SA won ballgames,and recruited at a Big Ten level for at least 5 of his 8 years..so he deserved some tiny bit of loyalty from the fanbase,off court crap aside.

I mostly agree with what was said here.

Question (not passing judgement on what JHHawk said) - do you think fans would be happy with a new coach who coached for 8 years, finished 2nd in the Big 10 regular season once, made the NCAA tourney 3 times (with 1 win) and the NIT 3 times? I am not including the recruiting, the off the court stuff, or the likeableness (is that a word?) of the coach. Just the results. Again, I am just curious. I know the expectations now are lower than ever, but I was just wondering what the expectations are from here going forward. Or, are the expectations even higher that those? Or, does it depend on the coach we get?

I don't think most folks believe our current coach could do this going forward from here, but that is just a guess on my part. :)

This program is completely F***** at this point in time. Keeping Lick does nothing but make it worse. I can't believe there are people who still think he's coming back. It boggles the mind.

This program is completely F***** at this point in time. Keeping Lick does nothing but make it worse. I can't believe there are people who still think he's coming back. It boggles the mind.

Quick question...what is most responsible for this program being completely f'd? There is absolutely no shadow of a doubt in my mind that coaching changes are what have us in this position...not the coaches that were brought in but the fact that changes were made.

What you and others are asking for is for the administration to do exactly what got us in this mess in the first place in order to get us out of it...to me that would be mind boggling.

Lick will be back. I've been saying this all along.

Agreed...that's what makes it all the more ridiculous the way people on this site are acting.

Or maybe since Barta has all ready given Lick two public votes of confidence, he felt like he didn't need to issue a third.

I cant believe 3 people in a row think Lick will be back. He's gone. Anyone of you up for a friendly wager of some kind?

Spank, where do you get the ESPN #26 ranking? I have an ESPN Insider membership and they have the top 25, which Iowa is not in, and the 5 on the cusp, which Iowa is also not in. That would be the top 30, I think.

During the Iowa-Michigan game on Thursday, ESPN's PBP announcer said this. It stood out at me because I had heard Top 30, etc... but he said 26th ranked and it caught my ear.

eI don't know if it's clean cut he stays or goes. I can see reasons for him to stay and I can see reasons for him to go.

I've been in the camp of "give him one more year, we'll know by the start of Big Ten play if this is going to work or not". As long as Lickliter isn't strong arm by anyone and everyone sticks around, I think giving him another year is still fair. I don't know that that will happen. It's obvious some players aren't thrilled with their coach, but sometimes you can work through that.

The only thing I would be very much against would be removing Lickliter for someone of equal or lesser value (for a lack of better words).

Last edited:
Spank...is there really that many coaches out there that could win less or equal to 9 games? I just don't see what the downside is here. Nothing personal against Lick, but he's dug himself a major hole and it appears more player/players are leaving if he sticks. Iowa just can't continue to be a program with revolving doors for players.

I know it's tough and he's had a lot of things stacked against him, but he knew he needed to change things with his relationships with players and he didn't or couldn't do it.

I think you have to admit that it's more than likely that when Barta met with the players individually, something happened he didn't like. He's doing the only thing any good CEO would do and that is making a change. This program will never get better if we can't keep the kids at Iowa.

I think what Stormin is saying is that if no players are actually going to leave the team, that he deserves another year.

While I happen to disagree with that, that is a perfectly reasonable position to take.

I think what Stormin is saying is that if no players are actually going to leave the team, that he deserves another year.

While I happen to disagree with that, that is a perfectly reasonable position to take.

That's pretty much the long and short of it.

If players are going leave (for whatever reason it may be), I don't know how you can keep Lickliter around. And that might be the case.

eI don't know if it's clean cut he stays or goes. I can see reasons for him to stay and I can see reasons for him to go.

I've been in the camp of "give him one more year, we'll know by the start of Big Ten play if this is going to work or not". As long as Lickliter isn't strong arm by anyone and everyone sticks around, I think giving him another year is still fair. I don't know that that will happen. It's obvious some players aren't thrilled with their coach, but sometimes you can work through that.

The only thing I would be very much against would be removing Lickliter for someone of equal or lesser value (for a lack of better words).

Darn near 60 losses in 3 seasons isnt enough? Unreal. Lickliter has destroyed this program in 3 seasons. The decline in fan base alone and attendance (which you HAMMERED Alford for- but Lick gets a free pass from you) is reason enough to fire him.

Spank....that's a fair point, IF all players are going to return. It sure seems like that wouldn't be the case though....time will tell, but I know where I'd place my bet.

Iowa fans are a loyal bunch, for the most part. Any coach that comes in here and wins, shows some class and embraces the Iowa community, will be treated like royalty. Just win baby!

I was glad he came here. But he should go.

Another coach can take his recruits, win with them, and then I'll eat crow gladly. I mean, this is the worst three year span in Iowa basketball history, right?

Not only should he go, he's got to go.

Latest posts