Shaka to Illini

loesshillshawk

ESPN is saying he is a leading candidate for the Illini job. If this comes true the Big 10 will be loaded with top tier coaches. Also believe he could do great things at Illinois! Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

He's the Illini's top target.

I don't think that necessarily means he come though.. weren't a lot of people saying it wasn't a destination he would likely go to?

I'm sure they will throw a lot of money at him though.

someone said he wore an orange and blue tie in their first round game last week. I didn't notice. If so, hopefully it was just by coincidence....

This has been the rumor for a month. To be successful at IL you HAVE to land Chicago recruits. Until that happens, I'm not too worried.

Yep, sounds like Shaka is the top target for Illinois. I would think he would have to consider it. He is from Wisconsin and his wife went to Northwestern. They may be looking for a reason to get back to the midwest, or they may not want to come back, who knows.
I do know this, Shaka would be a very good coach for Illinois and bad for the rest of us in the B1G. I for one, do not want Illinois to hire him. His team plays an intense style of basketball that will get him wins in the B1G. I think he would also be able to recruit very well at Illinois, especially the Chicago and Milwaukee areas. This would also be bad for the rest of the B1G. He is a big up and coming name who plays an exciting brand of basketball and has great recent showings in the Big Dance. Top flight talent would likely flock to him at Illinois.
I absolutely do NOT want him to coach at Illinois.

his ties are in the E/SE. Isn't SC looking for a coach? I think they have very good facilities too.

His ties are mostly from the midwest. He coached at Akron, played at a small school in Ohio. I think he also coached for Florida too, but he is from Wisconsin and his wife went to Northwestern I believe.

As a side note, VCU was CBI champions in 09-10. For the CBI haters out there.

ESPN is saying he is a leading candidate for the Illini job. If this comes true the Big 10 will be loaded with top tier coaches. Also believe he could do great things at Illinois! Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Pretty misleading thread title.

I think Shaka and his wife are happy at VCU and stay put. Some Top 5 jobs in the country could be opening up in the next few years in that part of the country and I think he would jump at those.

Illini fans overrate the prestige their program has.

I think Shaka and his wife are happy at VCU and stay put. Some Top 5 jobs in the country could be opening up in the next few years in that part of the country and I think he would jump at those.

Sorry bout the title...didn't mean to incite.

Shaka is no Tommy Amaker he has proven himself as a head coach already!

People were saying the same thing about Steve Alford and Todd Lickliter after they led their teams to Sweet 16 appearances. When it comes to mid-major coaches stepping up to the B1G level, I always take a wait and see approach. Its just a whole different level of play.

Illinois may not be a top 5 program, historically, but it is top 10. According to Sagarin, Illinois is the #6 program all time. That's a sleeping giant.

Until the University of Illinois develops a true fanbase in the chicago area, no other Big 10 team has anything to worry about in football or basketball. They aren't even close to the most popular team in the Chicago metro area - and yes, I do believe even JNU is more popular.

Shaka is no Tommy Amaker he has proven himself as a head coach already!

WTF?!?!?! Shaka has been a head coach exactly 3 years and he took over after Capel and Anthony Grant built the program.

Anthony Grant is in a mess at Alabama.

Capel left VCU for Oklahoma where he has proceeded to bring that program to mediocrity. His roster was chalked full of McD's All-Americans and he still is under .500 in conference play. He finally was fired and is now an Asst coach at Duke.

This business about hiring mid-major coaches and paying them big bucks is just ridiculous.

Illinois may not be a top 5 program, historically, but it is top 10. According to Sagarin, Illinois is the #6 program all time. That's a sleeping giant.

Agree one-hundred percent.

Only Iowa fans underestimate Illinois. Sure Illinois has problems with location & perception. However, like Ohio State in football, an Illini basketball coach can win the national title without ever leaving the state.

If the Illini get Shaka......look out.

Why is that, exactly? They had lon krueger and bill self, and they never won sh!t. One freak year with webber kettle was a total outlier, as evidenced by his overall record and their lack of success.
Shaka Smart could easily be the second coming of Alfraud: mid-major success, lotsa hype, no real substance on his record.
If the illwhinei really think hiring this guy equals instant elite status and multiple championships, they're still living in their delusional cocoon.
F illannoy.

Latest posts