Seriously, what's with all the fluff pieces

There have been multiple pieces talking about BF being the "perfect" hire, being "brilliant", being "groomed" for this position, etc.

Look, I like the guy as well. Local kid, part of 2 conference titles, got a cup of coffee in the League, spent 4 years on the NE staff, position coach here...seems smart, aggressive, etc.

But let's be real...we're hiring a guy who has never in his life, at any level of football, designed an entire offense, called a single play in any game, or mentored a single skill player outside of TE. And not only are Jon and Rob okay with this, but are singing his praises as if he's the 2nd coming of Bill Snyder. Have we just decided that critical thinking is not required because his last name is Ferentz?

At the end of the day, BF is only the 6th OC in the last 39 years at Iowa and it's not even close that he's the least qualified of all of them by a country mile. Heck, even KOK was a former HC that had a 79-10 record and won a national championship and he was coming to a team coming off a 3-8 season and had a stable of 250lb OL. After 18 years of KF, and coming off a 12-2 season just a year ago, this is what we end up with? BF may be the best fit, but was he really the best we could do? Seems like another "union card" situation to me...

Jezz. Who the F cares? K Ferentz is the coach and he can put whoever he wants in the position. He's rolling the dice with his son if it works he's a genius if it doesn't he retires. i for one am excited to see what the guy can do? Everyone wanted fresh new blood in the offense well you got it.

Jezz. Who the F cares? K Ferentz is the coach and he can put whoever he wants in the position. He's rolling the dice with his son if it works he's a genius if it doesn't he retires. i for one am excited to see what the guy can do? Everyone wanted fresh new blood in the offense well you got it.

The OC literally has the same DNA as the problem.

Some people define fresh new blood differently.

Just curious, Josh, are you and your dad the exact same person? Do you hold every thought, every ideal, every belief the exact same as your father? You never have a different opinion that your old man?

If true, I would say even your dad is sorry that you couldn't grow up to be your own man...

Come on. Don't ya think the apologist schtick claiming Kirk is a "good man" to justify their excuse-making and blame-shifting is also tired and boring?

It's always the fault of the "support staff". The guy in charge of that staff gets raises and extensions every two years while they get fired.

I'm sorry boss, but you have your bias and the rest of us have ours. AND EVERYBODY HAS THEIRS.

Well, before you go off the deep end, tell me... exactly how many assistant coaches or coordinators have been fired by Ferentz in 18 years?

And it's not an either/or situation here. It's not like you have to bang the "Fire Ferentz" drum or jump on the apologist wagon. I'm specifically saying that the people who constantly try to compare Fry and Ferentz are way off target because it's not even a discussion at that point. It's a historical pissing contest that nobody will ever win.

Yes, we all have our biases, and I'm probably coming from one where I'm likely to give Ferentz the benefit of the doubt. But I'm open about that. And I base it on the fact that he's batting .600 over 18 seasons in the Big Ten while not at a blue blood school. Why can't you just admit you miss "the good old days" with Hayden and can never fairly judge Ferentz or any of his decisions because of it?

Positives...

New OC is coming into a great situation...familiar with system, some "street cred" with coach/dad.

New OC is young, excited, energetic, with lots of ideas.

New OC is following horrendous OC results.

New OC NFL experience might allow him to hire some young coaching talent.

New OC will be a more visible influence on recruits and can speak of his NFL experience and what it takes to get there.

New OC might create exciting results, leading to early retirement of current HC...

A new age will dawn over the corn fields of Iowa...

Just curious, Josh, are you and your dad the exact same person? Do you hold every thought, every ideal, every belief the exact same as your father? You never have a different opinion that your old man?

If true, I would say even your dad is sorry that you couldn't grow up to be your own man...

Just curious, since you answered for FBL, is that your dad? Good news, you and him think exactly alike.

New OC is following horrendous OC results.

A new age will dawn over the corn fields of Iowa...

Gotta give KF credit. He installed Brian at the right time. I would say the fans on this board could improve upon what GD accomplished. Since he was close to last place in most categories.

Do you think, for one moment, that KF isn't going to be in charge of the entirely of this football team like he's been for all but the 2015 season of his reign at Iowa? Really? The new blood one has to be concerned with would be a new HC's blood as in someone who doesn't make decisions like KF (and Saban).

Gotta give KF credit. He installed Brian at the right time. I would say the fans on this board could improve upon what GD accomplished. Since he was close to last place in most categories.
I think folks like you, Josh, have already forgotten what Davis did for Iowa in 2015. I don't think Brian will be able to duplicate that any time soon. Especially with his father's imminent influence on offense. Remember, if KF had total control of the offense, Wadley would never have seen the field. And, IMO. KF will have more control of the offense...KF that offensive genius.:rolleyes:

I think folks like you, Josh, have already forgotten what Davis did for Iowa in 2015. I don't think Brian will be able to duplicate that any time soon. Especially with his father's influence on offense. Remember, if KF had total control of the offense, Wadley would never have seen the field. And, IMO. KF will have more control of the offense...KF that offensive genius.:rolleyes:

You bring up a good point . . . 2015 is an important aspect to this conversation. When the seat was getting warm the "staff" became slightly less predictable on offense and slightly more aggressive with scoring. But that's what the offense needed. It still finished behind the defense statistically, but it was enough to get 12 wins.

Then the new contract gets signed and everything reverts to the old ways.

Maybe Kirk will feel pressure to help his son look good and become less stubborn. Maybe he won't. Next fall we'll find out.

Snyder probably had less experience unless being a high school coach outweighs coaching in the NFL.
Same argument could be made in reverse...he fits your narrative, so you refuse to even acknowledge or bring up the critical questions that should be asked. And I like how you artfully dodged my comment...that BF is, in fact, our least qualified OC in 39 years:..
xperience

You bring up a good point . . . 2015 is an important aspect to this conversation. When the seat was getting warm the "staff" became slightly less predictable on offense and slightly more aggressive with scoring. But that's what the offense needed. It still finished behind the defense statistically, but it was enough to get 12 wins.

Then the new contract gets signed and everything reverts to the old ways.

Maybe Kirk will feel pressure to help his son look good and become less stubborn. Maybe he won't. Next fall we'll find out.

I have always thought the "contract" stuff was silly. KF didn't change things in '15 because he only had 5 years left on his deal and was afraid of getting canned. He has bigger plans of working with Brian at OC and giving him a shot at the Iowa Head Coaching job or other opportunities.

If anything was ever going to spur KF onto doing new things, it is having your son tied to your success, not some contract, when KF has already made 10x more money than KF the person would ever spend or need.

Just curious, since you answered for FBL, is that your dad? Good news, you and him think exactly alike.

Thanks for answering my question with a deflection question. But, to answer yours, No. FBL is not my dad. Still waiting for your response.

Latest posts