Seriously, what's with all the fluff pieces

Exactly right. Don't accuse others of having an agenda or shaping facts to fit your narrative, while you (Jon) does the exact same thing with your opinions. It's an insult to intelligent people. Which usually works for most of the posters on this board, but I digress.

One of the two people you mentioned was initiated an accusatorial stance against the other re: a lack of critical thinking..I will give you a hint, in that it was not me.

There was a lot more differences than that. Hayden was a far better offensive recruiter and mind than Kirk was/is. It wasn't just "exotics" as he liked to call them. He got Quinn Early, Dahnan Hughes and used them well. Early and Hughes are light years better than any WR Kirk has ever touched.
Bill Happel, Jay Norvell, and Robert Smith were also very good.
Mike Saunders and Ronnie Harmon were WRs before they were RBs because Fry didn't want to waste their talent on the bench (you can make a strong argument that Harmon was the best WR and RB in school history).
Dwight of course was an RB before becoming a WR. Hayden didn't want to waste him behind Shaw and Banks who were better RBs than Dwight. Can you imagine Kirk moving Dwight? Putting a 5'8 player out at WR? I can't. He would have kept him at 3rd string RB.
Fry never would have been caught with his pants down trotting out WR like Kirk has done over the years. Particularly this year and Fry's WRs did well in years in was 10x harder to throw the ball than it is now.
Hayden used his FBs as weapons, not just as a 6th OL.
Fry used misdirection, even faking to FBs before handing off or pitching to RBs.
You mentioned the QBs. That the most important thing. His QBs developed and got better. Remember Matt Rodgers in 1989? I though Fry was going to rip his head off one game because he was so upset with him. He went on to be All B1G in 1990 & 1991.

Norvell played defensive back for Iowa

"Fry never would have been caught with his pants down trotting out WR like Kirk has done over the years. " The 1982 Iowa passing game, with Long at QB, was worse than this year....but....I certainly won't debate that KF has recruited better at WR than Fry did. WR has been Kirk's white whale.

Norvell played defensive back for Iowa

"Fry never would have been caught with his pants down trotting out WR like Kirk has done over the years. " The 1982 Iowa passing game, with Long at QB, was worse than this year....but....I certainly won't debate that KF has recruited better at WR than Fry did. WR has been Kirk's white whale.

One problem with the "white whale" metaphor. Ahab was obsessed with catching Moby Dick...it consumed him. Kirk has no such passion or obsession about landing (and using) great WR talent. That...is the problem.

Blind spot might be a more accurate descriptive.

Last edited:
my 2 cents (or perhaps less).

I tend to agree with Jon. Davis was a bad fit from day 1. Brian has earned his shot and his resume is solid (no matter what his last name is). IMHO, he's also our best shot at breaking through Kirk's stubbornness...Brian may be the only one that can get away with challenging him.

Where I will never agree (completely) is the "we're just IOWA...we'll never be this or that". That's loser talk. Yes, knowing your limitations and challenges is important...but imposing some on yourself is building your own glass ceiling. If you can build a top program in Lincoln, Nebraska (before the days of TV contracts, the internet and equal exposure for all)....or Fargo, North Dakota, it's possible at Iowa. Too many people say "I can't"...when they really mean "I won't".

Well said. BF is Iowa's best chance to get a little more aggressive. KF does make his own glass ceiling and that is very frustrating. I think he has proven that he is an outstanding administrator for a football program. Relatively clean with good citizens, players develop and get into the NFL, his teams rarely beat themselves, play hard, and his defense and special teams (an area Hayden severely neglected in the late 80s/early 90s) have been borderline outstanding for 18 years.

But for whatever reason, he thinks Iowa has limitations when it comes to recruiting and offense. I get that Iowa isn't an easy place to recruit an inner city 18 year old to and Iowa doesn't produce a lot of outside position type athletes. But if you put an offensive in place that translates to the NFL and values throwing the ball (I'm thinking a toned down version of Green Bay's offense) you stand a much better chance of getting those athletes to come here, especially when many top teams are running spread attacks that don't easily translate to many NFL systems.

Its seems as though Kirk's philosophy on recruiting is, 'Hey that kid is really good, lets see if there is some mutual interest' when it needs to be, 'Hey that kid is really good, lets get him here'. I don't want to hear about in home visits by position coaches. I want to hear about Ferentz doing in home visits. He is a well paid coach and it should be expected of him to visit recruits when the rules dictate he can. He has a private plane on the university's dime, use it.

One problem with the "white whale" metaphor. Ahab was obsessed with catching Moby Dick...it consumed him. Kirk has no such passion or obsession about landing (and using) great WR talent. That...is the problem.

Blind spot might be a more accurate descriptive.

I would not say that. They basically punted on an entire OL class a few years back to bring in 6 WR's because they saw a need...and 1 hit, and he was the gray shirt walk on.

Relatively clean with good citizens, players develop and get into the NFL, his teams rarely beat themselves, play hard, and his defense and special teams (an area Hayden severely neglected in the late 80s/early 90s) have been borderline outstanding for 18 years.

But for whatever reason, he thinks Iowa has limitations when it comes to recruiting and offense. I get that Iowa isn't an easy place to recruit an inner city 18 year old to and Iowa doesn't produce a lot of outside position type athletes. But if you put an offensive in place that translates to the NFL and values throwing the ball (I'm thinking a toned down version of Green Bay's offense) you stand a much better chance of getting those athletes to come here, especially when many top teams are running spread attacks that don't easily translate to many NFL systems.

Its seems as though Kirk's philosophy on recruiting is, 'Hey that kid is really good, lets see if there is some mutual interest' when it needs to be, 'Hey that kid is really good, lets get him here'. I don't want to hear about in home visits by position coaches. I want to hear about Ferentz doing in home visits. He is a well paid coach and it should be expected of him to visit recruits when the rules dictate he can. He has a private plane on the university's dime, use it.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/the-most-arrested-college-football-teams-in-america-081815

I won't post the other dozen links that have scandal overtones.

Totally agree with Spider. I think we have writers that realize that some day they may have to deal directly with Brain, and do not wish to worry about his elephant like memory skills that his thin skinned daddy has....you know, who were the ones that talked shit about me and my being hired...that thingy. What will happen as it does after every basketball firing at Iowa, is that the same writers who never personally called for so and so's head, will be the same ones after so and so is fired to feel it's suddenly safe to come out and "then" proclaim that it was time for change. As been mentioned before, the ONLY good that will come out of this is that Brain is tied to daddy's hip.....when one is gone, so is the other. My first question to this is how many years has Barta known about and kept quiet about this bull shit plan? Secondly, what exactly is his cut from both decade long extensions? Lastly, now that Brain's salary will boost him out of poverty status, how long does he have to move out of his subsidized apartment?

That's all.

Spare us the "little OL Iowa , can't recruit skill position players" nonsense. That's bull spit.
Especially since Iowa's best recruiter on offense (Davis) just quit. KF? Well, KF can't recruit and knows it...and is unapologetic about it. I guess all that athleticism that Florida has that Iowa didn't have doesn't matter, huh?

Agree with you Spider. The puff pieces will end when Ferments and Brain are gone....then as always, the writers will suddenly get brave and tell us that it was time for a coaching change. Until then, you will get puff pieces. I'm listening to Jon right now, and I'm still not convinced.....not even close in fact. Funny that this is going down at the same time that we just watched two teams play in a game that Iowa will NEVER be a part of....at least until we have an athletic department who's mindset does a complete 180....same with fans who have allowed the bar to be severely lowered. BTW, I'm still listening to Jon and he just quoted Brain talking about competing for Big Ten Championships, and I have a question.....do the two coaches from last nite's game talk about competing for SEC and ACC Championships? NOPE, those are given....they only speak of National Championships. When you strive for the ULTIMATE goal....the goal of only the REAL programs....the other goals take care of themselves.

BTW Jon, for the all the time you just spent gushing over Brain, wouldn't you think a "Running game coordinator" would know basic 101 theory about not continually running slow developing dive plays into the teeth of the stacked side of a line? Or continually running wide to the short side of the field....often with slow developing strung out handoffs? Or did he have zero say in this? If so, shouldn't we wonder just how important he was to the staff in the first place?

Last edited:
One of the two people you mentioned was initiated an accusatorial stance against the other re: a lack of critical thinking..I will give you a hint, in that it was not me.
Doesn't change my response. If you're going to shape facts to debate your point, you can't accuse the other person of doing the same thing. Not without some criticism. You made some valid points about BF's qualifications but they don't eliminate the fact that there was no job posting or search for a more qualified candidate. It's hard to say you got the best guy available if you didn't even leave your house to go looking. That's going to draw criticism from all over.

Agree with you Spider. The puff pieces will end when Ferments and Brain are gone....then as always, the writers will suddenly get brave and tell us that it was time for a coaching change. Until then, you will get puff pieces. I'm listening to Jon right now, and I'm still not convinced.....not even close in fact. Funny that this is going down at the same time that we just watched two teams play in a game that Iowa will NEVER be a part of....at least until we have an athletic department who's mindset does a complete 180....same with fans who have allowed the bar to be severely lowered. BTW, I'm still listening to Jon and he just quoted Brain talking about competing for Big Ten Championships, and I have a question.....do the two coaches from last nite's game talk about competing for SEC and ACC Championships? NOPE, those are given....they only speak of National Championships. When you strive for the ULTIMATE goal....the goal of only the REAL programs....the other goals take care of themselves.

In California there are a lot of ugly guys with hot wives.

And there are a lot of handsome guys with ugly wives.

The difference?? Self-esteem.

The Hawkeye football program has low self-esteem. It's not justified, and it's on Kirk & Barta & Deano.

Last edited:
Doesn't change my response. If you're going to shape facts to debate your point, you can't accuse the other person of doing the same thing. Not without some criticism. You made some valid points about BF's qualifications but they don't eliminate the fact that there was no job posting or search for a more qualified candidate. It's hard to say you got the best guy available if you didn't even leave your house to go looking. That's going to draw criticism from all over.

That's fine..then say "I disagree and here's why'....but going to the 'lacking critical thinking' card is an entirely different degree. I disagree with you and would not change what I wrote.

I think Brian can do a decent job and perhaps even an excellent job. Who knows.

My concern is the Ferentz echo chamber. I don't think it's a good idea to surround yourself with relatives and insiders unless it's a family business.

I just think it would've been a better idea to go outside the program and get a fresh perspective. Of course, KF and fresh perspective seem to be oxymorons, lol.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Iowa FB. Willing to give BF a chance. [fingers crossed]

--------I think Brian can do a decent job and perhaps even an excellent job. Who knows.

Based on what evidence?

I would not say that. They basically punted on an entire OL class a few years back to bring in 6 WR's because they saw a need...and 1 hit, and he was the gray shirt walk on.

I'd suggest that's a clear indicator of the problem. If they had to punt on entire OL class, to chase WRs (and still came up relatively empty) there's your story.. Had he been consistently placing a priority on the position (back to the relentless pursuit of the white whale angle) that wouldn't have been necessary.

But more importantly,what's the point in chasing the big fish, if you don't know what to do with it once you have it? Kirk has shown he's more of a meat and potatoes guy... seafood just ain't his thing. You can't recruit top talent, unless they believe that they're going to fit with the organization and be valued. And anybody who's watched IOWA football recently...knows that downfield passing and scoring...just ain't Kirk's thing. He's more of a "drive the cattle" kind of guy.

I will agree with the Dick metaphor in one sense. In the end...the whale brought down the ship. In this case...the whale (or lack of one/several effectively integrated into the offense) brings down the team.

OK, I over-milked that metaphor for sure.

That's fine..then say "I disagree and here's why'....but going to the 'lacking critical thinking' card is an entirely different degree. I disagree with you and would not change what I wrote.
I'm not sure what "critical thinking" comment you are talking about but it doesn't matter. We'll just agree to disagree.

--------I think Brian can do a decent job and perhaps even an excellent job. Who knows.

Based on what evidence?
The same evidence that he'll be a flop, meaning there is no evidence of either. Like most "news" shows these days -- heavy on opinion, light on facts. The nice part about this webpage is that it's like FoxNews and MSNBC rolled into one. There is no singular echo chamber here, but two distinct ones, each contemptuous of the other.

Latest posts