Schwartz: Dolphin, the Hawkeyes, and Being PC

You have the right to be offended and so do I. Neither of us have the right to make the other stop sharing their opinion, unless you believe in coercion of course...and you might want to lead with that so everyone knows your intent.

I posted this in the other thread, but, perhaps it's more appropriate here:

...The problem in society today is that terms such as "insensitive" are being defined by those that label the comments as insensitive in the first place. That paradigm is a no-win situation for those that are accused - if you disagree, you are insensitive or ignorant at best, and a racist or bigot at worst.

It's a circular argument. Person A is offended. Person B thinks that Person A is overly sensitive. Person A therefore has carte blanche to define Person B in any way he/she pleases. Any counter argument is assumed to be driven by deep-rooted biases and/or ignorance, therefore it is logically impossible for Person B to mount a meaningful defense of his/her actions or words.

There is the famous philosophical statement, "I think, therefore I am." A more accurate term for today's society would be, "I'm offended, therefore I'm right..."

Schwartz is labeling the "anti-PC" crowd as a bunch of intolerant privileged stubborn white males that won't "shut up and listen."

What he, and apparently many, don't get is that the majority of the anti-PC crowd are not "anti PC" per se, but, are anti "over-the-top-bordering-on-ridiculous" political correctness.

For examples, check out these:

https://listverse.com/2010/10/26/10-ridiculous-cases-of-political-correctness/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/01/university-oregon-martin-luther-king-quote-inclusive/

I'm not naive enough to think the SOME of the media plays a part in dividing this country. I'm not ready to paint with a broad brush and say it's the entire industry.

That said, it starts with the leaders of this country on both sides of the isle. And the media and elected officials are catering to the public. This thread and the discussion on this topic show that. The public eats it up and those entities will continue feeding that appetite.

People enjoy playing the role of the victim and acting outraged. That's society now. With each passing day, the divide grows and there's more resistance to exchanging ideas no matter how much gray area there is on a topic.

Which was my point earlier. If you agree with me, you're right. If not, you're wrong. And I don't want to hear an idea or opinion that might differ from mine. That's the overriding mentality in this country.

I spoke with Jon and Dave about their columns as the publisher of this site before we ran them. I thought about all of their points with an open mind.

Do I have my own biases? Sure. We all do. It's about how we were raised and our experiences.

I'm happy to say that I saw value in both columns and they made me think.

Rob you have double standards. You are not black. You dont get it. You are a child abuse victim by your admission. So am I. You went off on MSU and got into arguments with MSU fans. I get why that was an emotional issue for you. Its not for everyone. I have charges....I charged the law enforcement dept over mishanding things concerning child abuse. Been called all kinds of names over it including being a victim in mentality.

Dolph was wrong. I also think you were wrong for pissing with MSU fans.

Again Iowa is an at will state. If you dont like that get the state Republicans to change that...wont happen.

Partly due to lack of media investigation we dont know what Dolph was told and if he violated that.

But dont play victim on one hand and anti victim when it doesnt involve you. Thats how it looks.

You cant say a black would be less offended about Kong than you about people blowing off child abuse.

Rob you have double standards. You are not black. You dont get it. You are a child abuse victim by your admission. So am I. You went off on MSU and got into arguments with MSU fans. I get why that was an emotional issue for you. Its not for everyone. I have charges....I charged the law enforcement dept over mishanding things concerning child abuse. Been called all kinds of names over it including being a victim in mentality.

Dolph was wrong. I also think you were wrong for pissing with MSU fans.

Again Iowa is an at will state. If you dont like that get the state Republicans to change that...wont happen.

Partly due to lack of media investigation we dont know what Dolph was told and if he violated that.

But dont play victim on one hand and anti victim when it doesnt involve you. Thats how it looks.

You cant say a black would be less offended about Kong than you about people blowing off child abuse.

Your opinion.

Here’s my earlier post. Let me know what you need clarified:

I'm not naive enough to think the SOME of the media plays a part in dividing this country. I'm not ready to paint with a broad brush and say it's the entire industry.

That said, it starts with the leaders of this country on both sides of the isle. And the media and elected officials are catering to the public. This thread and the discussion on this topic show that. The public eats it up and those entities will continue feeding that appetite.

People enjoy playing the role of the victim and acting outraged. That's society now. With each passing day, the divide grows and there's more resistance to exchanging ideas no matter how much gray area there is on a topic.

Which was my point earlier. If you agree with me, you're right. If not, you're wrong. And I don't want to hear an idea or opinion that might differ from mine. That's the overriding mentality in this country.

I spoke with Jon and Dave about their columns as the publisher of this site before we ran them. I thought about all of their points with an open mind.

Do I have my own biases? Sure. We all do. It's about how we were raised and our experiences.

I'm happy to say that I saw value in both columns and they made me think.
Can't disagree with that. My issue is that Dave states that Dolph should've known better and assumes that he used "King Kong" due to some type of bias against a "race" of people. I've never in my life associated King Kong with someone that has darker skin pigmentation. I don't know Dolph's life story, but assuming his words stem from some type of unconscious/cultural bias is actually based on Dave's own bias or prejudice.

All this really flared up in 2008. Now this crap is all that can get talked about, and its one sided most of the time.

Good Lord this is getting old fast. No offense to those who do not believe in a Lord. Dolph was referring to Fernando’s physical stature and his domination of Iowa’s bigs down the stretch. He was not referring to Fernando's skin color. If you think it was an insensitive comment then I worry about your unvonscious bias. Yes that’s my opinion.

Good Lord this is getting old fast. No offense to those who do not believe in a Lord. Dolph was referring to Fernando’s physical stature and his domination of Iowa’s bigs down the stretch. He was not referring to Fernando's skin color. If you think it was an insensitive comment then I worry about your unvonscious bias. Yes that’s my opinion.

Which Lord should I believe in?

Dolph. Racism. Religion. This thread isn’t divisive at all. I’m just going to watch the Michigan vs. Michigan State game and avoid this thread. Yikes!

I hate to break it to you, but no it doesn't. At least you thinking that explains to me why you think what you do. An ape is the closest thing you could use to describe King Kong. But that's not what he is. He is his own thing. He's not a descendant from the ape species. He's his own thing. You are connecting a dot that not everyone is willing to connect.

I've got to ask, if you heard it live, would you have instantly thought "holy shit Dolph just called a black man an ape"? If so, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you have a pretty racist thinking brain. Bruno being black wasnt even something that crossed my mind the entire time. I thought we got beat by a good player. I guess you thought we got beat by a a black guy.

LMFAO...do me a favor. Put a picture of King Kong next to a picture of a gorilla or ape. I'm sure you will see striking similarities. King Kong is just bigger, but if it pounds his chest like an ape, climbs trees like an ape, and roams the jungle like an ape...I'm going with ape here. He's his own thing? Kind of like Andre the Giant was his own thing? Do you consider Shaq his own thing? I'm trying to understand here.

It's not what I think or anyone white thinks about what Dolph said...that's what you don't get. I'm not African American. I can't speak for their race, but I believe I would find it offensive or inappropriate if I were, in light of all the other comments in the public discourse. This comparison has a long history of denigration and dehumanization. Dolph was ignorant and it has nothing to do with his intent.

I hate to break it to you, but no it doesn't. At least you thinking that explains to me why you think what you do. An ape is the closest thing you could use to describe King Kong. But that's not what he is. He is his own thing. He's not a descendant from the ape species. He's his own thing. You are connecting a dot that not everyone is willing to connect.

I've got to ask, if you heard it live, would you have instantly thought "holy shit Dolph just called a black man an ape"? If so, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you have a pretty racist thinking brain. Bruno being black wasnt even something that crossed my mind the entire time. I thought we got beat by a good player. I guess you thought we got beat by a a black guy.
Man, it's weird how strongly we agree on this, yet disagree so strongly on Fran's involvement. :)

I suppose some people have referred to a person with dark skin pigmentation as King Kong in a derogatory sense, but I honestly can't recall ever hearing it until now (thanks to the U of I and Mr. Schwartz). I've heard folks use the connection with apes or monkeys, but those people are doing it in a derogatory and demeaning manner so I doubt they would want to use King Kong to describe someone with dark skin pigmentation since Kong represents strength and dominance. It really doesn't make any sense.

LMFAO...do me a favor. Put a picture of King Kong next to a picture of a gorilla or ape. I'm sure you will see striking similarities. King Kong is just bigger, but if it pounds his chest like an ape, climbs trees like an ape, and roams the jungle like an ape...I'm going with ape here. He's his own thing? Kind of like Andre the Giant was his own thing? Do you consider Shaq his own thing? I'm trying to understand here.

It's not what I think or anyone white thinks about what Dolph said...that's what you don't get. I'm not African American. I can't speak for their race, but I believe I would find it offensive or inappropriate if I were, in light of all the other comments in the public discourse. This comparison has a long history of denigration and dehumanization. Dolph was ignorant and it has nothing to do with his intent.
You do realize that race is a mythical creation of culture, right? Biologically speaking, race doesn't exist.

Iowa the tolerant home of Steve King, Wateroo with Black household income of 28k, and the top counties with the highest white populations in the US, why would we have trouble recruiting Black athletes... FM.

Oh and we love black athletes who just go with the flow when a 300 pound back guy gets mistaken for a 150 pound black guy. You know centers and point guards are easily mistaken for each other. You know the goods ones because they dont run when police draw guns.

Iowa...very tolerant. Even Hy Vee sells bananas. Helps recruiting.

Iowa the tolerant home of Steve King, Wateroo with Black household income of 28k, and the top counties with the highest white populations in the US, why would we have trouble recruiting Black athletes... FM.

Oh and we love black athletes who just go with the flow when a 300 pound back guy gets mistaken for a 150 pound black guy. You know centers and point guards are easily mistaken for each other. You know the goods ones because they dont run when police draw guns.

Iowa...very tolerant. Even Hy Vee sells bananas. Helps recruiting.
perhaps you would feel more comfortable in california

You do realize that race is a mythical creation of culture, right? Biologically speaking, race doesn't exist.

What in the hell are you talking about? "mythical"? ...it's a categorization of like groups of humans. There is nothing imaginary, fictitious, make believe, or fantasy about race. Yes...we are all of the same biology...nice observation.

If you are alluding to King Kong being a mythical ape...yes...I agree.

What does big foot most closely resemble? Does that mean that's what big foot is? Or is big foot a made up monster that isnt accociated with anything else?

If someone asked me to describe King Kong, I would say he looks like an ape. But he's not an ape. He's a made up fictional beast.

Latest posts