Schwartz: Dolphin, the Hawkeyes, and Being PC

How many people do you know in the PC crowd that has admitted he, she, or (whatever pronoun the person prefers) was wrong?

Let's come up with more stereotypes for people. We can put them all in their own little boxes and they must stay there.

Like, PC, non-PC, semi-PC...

Nobody every has to admit they're wrong. All of them must be offended by the others. Maybe there can be some outrage. Just as long as everybody is closed-minded and intolerant. That's the end goal.

King Kong also equals unstoppable beast. And this is obviously gary’s Intent. If you see otherwise then I feel sorry for you as a human being.

If Dolphin would have been referring to Bruno's looks when he compared him to King Kong, it would have been bad. Some people believe that the exact same thing can be said in 2 different contexts and one can be racist and the other isn't. Some people believe they are both racist because one is so the other has to be too. They lack the comprehension skills to be able to distinguish between the 2. Its not their fault. Some people suck at math too. I suck at spelling so I might get crucified for spelling a player's name wrong. They think its disrespectful to the player because they can't understand how someone can be so bad at spelling to not get it right. When in reality, my brain just cant see a word once and easily visualize it later to spell it correctly. I think they should be more tolerant of my lack of spelling skills, so maybe I need to be more tolerant of their ability to comprehend intent.

Let's come up with more stereotypes for people. We can put them all in their own little boxes and they must stay there.

Nobody every has to admit they're wrong. All of them must be offended by the others. Maybe there can be some outrage. Just as long as everybody is closed-minded and intolerant. That's the end goal.
Intent should always be disregarded. Feelings should always come first.

I'm intolerant of intolerant people. I'm intolerant of people who go out of their way to find reasons to get people fired. If a black person sent an email to get this all started, I can accept that. But if a white person sent an email describing their outrage over this, then I dont have tolerance for that person.

If it was a black man that sent it, maybe he was called King Kong his whole life in a derogatory way so it stuck home for him. If a white person sent it, they had to connect dots in a pretty racist way to get there.

As I wrote that I thought of the possibility that a white person could know a black person who was called King Kong so I guess that's possible too. See, that's why discussion is good. I just became aware of another possibility that I never would have thought about without discussion.

The only people I hear who preface their opinions with "this is just my opinion, but" are non-PC folk.
The PC folk preface their opinions with nothing.
Funny thing is, I've met so very few real life PC people.
They seem to exist mainly on the internet.

Last edited:
I know I've said this before, but where are the people who explain to their loved ones the meaning of intent? If someone I knew got outraged at something that was blatantly innocent, I would be there to talk them through it and help them see the other side. That's not a good way to live. You would have too much hatred in your life if you always got offended over things that had no il intent.

Intent should always be disregarded. Feelings should always come first.

You directed that post at me, right?
I wasn't saying that's what you said. I thought we were playing opposites. You know, say the opposite of what you really think. Were you trying to put words in my mouth? Really wish I had my decoder ring right now. :confused:

I wasn't saying that's what you said. I thought we were playing opposites. You know, say the opposite of what you really think. Were you trying to put words in my mouth? Really wish I had my decoder ring right now. :confused:

Don’t assume. And don’t play naive. It’s weak.

I would make some quibbles about Dave’s post. It’s not making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s making a mountain out of western Nebraska. Again, from what everything has said, it was one email to Learfield. There was absolutely NO uproar about this.

If one person complains about something that is said on a 100k watt radio station that is something that can be addressed outside of the spotlight.

If this one person is offended then perhaps it’s something we shouldn’t say anymore. That’s fine. To ignore the personal grudge against Dolph that’s driving this is just absurd though.

I agree that if it was one email, let's error on the side of caution and not say it again. That's the end of it.

You really don't think your recent posts have been cryptic?

Here’s my earlier post. Let me know what you need clarified:

I'm not naive enough to think the SOME of the media plays a part in dividing this country. I'm not ready to paint with a broad brush and say it's the entire industry.

That said, it starts with the leaders of this country on both sides of the isle. And the media and elected officials are catering to the public. This thread and the discussion on this topic show that. The public eats it up and those entities will continue feeding that appetite.

People enjoy playing the role of the victim and acting outraged. That's society now. With each passing day, the divide grows and there's more resistance to exchanging ideas no matter how much gray area there is on a topic.

Which was my point earlier. If you agree with me, you're right. If not, you're wrong. And I don't want to hear an idea or opinion that might differ from mine. That's the overriding mentality in this country.

I spoke with Jon and Dave about their columns as the publisher of this site before we ran them. I thought about all of their points with an open mind.

Do I have my own biases? Sure. We all do. It's about how we were raised and our experiences.

I'm happy to say that I saw value in both columns and they made me think.

Latest posts