Schwartz: Bleak Outlook for Hawkeyes in Ames

I get people are excited about our defense, but that Wyoming offense was awful yesterday. They had no weapons on offense outside of their qb, and a very bad o-line. Not saying our defense isn't good, but we will see what happens when PSU comes to town. They had 600 yards of offense against us last year. The major concern for me is Stanley and our offense. Wyoming was ranked 101st in defense last year and we didn't exactly light them up. Until Stanley can show he can beat people with his arm, he is going to see everyone in the box, and blitz after blitz. This is concerning because B1G teams will be able to cover our receivers man to man and come after the qb.

When you only have a one game sample size, how do you know Wyoming's offense wasn't aweful because of Iowa's defense?

ISU doesn't have a good offensive line, and Park is not as good as Allen. ISU does have better running backs, but our run defense should be very good. Lazard is better than anyone Wyoming had catching passes, but Park isn't mobile so we can hopefully contain Lazard. ISU's defense wasn't all that impressive. Sure, they had two pick-sixes, but that was more due to the inexperience and poor throws by UNI's QB. There was nothing I saw from Iowa (except the turnovers) or read about ISU, that makes me feel the outcome is "bleak". Schwartz's article is strange at best considering it's on HN.

I get people are excited about our defense, but that Wyoming offense was awful yesterday. They had no weapons on offense outside of their qb, and a very bad o-line. Not saying our defense isn't good, but we will see what happens when PSU comes to town. They had 600 yards of offense against us last year. The major concern for me is Stanley and our offense. Wyoming was ranked 101st in defense last year and we didn't exactly light them up. Until Stanley can show he can beat people with his arm, he is going to see everyone in the box, and blitz after blitz. This is concerning because B1G teams will be able to cover our receivers man to man and come after the qb.

Our offensive line should have all 5 starters next week, and Stanley showed he can throw the ball downfield. Fant, Beasley, and Vandeberg should have no problem getting open.

We score more than 28, we win. No turnovers, we win.

If we score less than 24 or have more than 1 turnover....its gonna be closer than it should be.

Punting needs to improve, the oline will look better next week.

Start faster, limit turnovers, take a deep shot or 2 early, screens against blitzes.

Win.

Go Hawks!

Trolls in the forums are bad enough but now they are getting articles posted on the front page.

I thought HN was better than this.
Okay, THAT, was funny. Unless of course if you get a come-to-Jesus invite.

Then, how dare you!

So many factors to determine outcomes but if I could only pick one for next week it would be pass rush. Don't let Park get comfortable and protect an inexperienced Stanley from aiding the opposition when under pressure. Not sure 24 points will be enough as it was yesterday against the Cowboys.

be7.jpg

Should say article I guess...

We score more than 28, we win. No turnovers, we win.

If we score less than 24 or have more than 1 turnover....its gonna be closer than it should be.

Punting needs to improve, the oline will look better next week.

Start faster, limit turnovers, take a deep shot or 2 early, screens against blitzes.

Win.

Go Hawks!

As an ISU fan, I feel 30 is the number. If Iowa or ISU hit 30 I think that wins it. I was impressed with Iowa Saturday, lots of turnovers, but totally controlled the game with solid defense.

Aww, he's all right. I like him and like to disagree with him 99% of the time. At least he does better as a headliner than when he's at his day job posting as Joshbrown.
;)

1st) I make waayyy more as a writer.

2nd) More people read my words on here as evidenced by this board's obsession with (I mean devotion to) me.

3rd) His style of po-boying Iowa's talent is not my style.

4th) You have more posts and fewer likes :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

One of the biggest things working against us next week is that Kirk Ferentz is our football coach. You just can't go into Ames Iowa and expect to leave with a victory with him in charge.

Dave is one of our columnists at HN. He's been around here for quite awhile giving his OPINION.

If you don't like him or what he writes, you're allowed that opinion. Don't read it if you don't want to. It will continue to be posted here every Sunday.

I don't always agree with his opinion. He doesn't always agree with mine. Same with Jon. That's how it works.

Good Lord.

Wyoming was not a bad team.

Defensively, they looked like they played assignment ball pretty well. Wadley and Butler never broke them. Wadley had a good game but only was allowed one Wadley-esque run.

They caused four turnovers. The long TDs they gave up to Fant and Easley were because of the plan to stuff the run and to dare Iowa to pass. Dare accepted and done.

Offensively, Wyoming looked disheveled but based on Iowa's defensive boring, vanilla, no-surprises-here defense history, I'm willing to chalk that up to Iowa playing well just as much as Wyoming's new pieces not meshing.

I don't know. I guess I like it when Iowa wins. And convincingly. And while giving up four turnovers. Crazy, I know.
Wyoming is horrible you are wrong. In two weeks Oregon will put 60 on them. The turnovers were an inexperienced qb out of his element.
As for the ISU game, another 8 completion game and we will lose.

Latest posts