Schwartz: Bleak Outlook for Hawkeyes in Ames

Dave is one of our columnists at HN. He's been around here for quite awhile giving his OPINION.

If you don't like him or what he writes, you're allowed that opinion. Don't read it if you don't want to. It will continue to be posted here every Sunday.

I don't always agree with his opinion. He doesn't always agree with mine. Same with Jon. That's how it works.

Good Lord.

I agree with what you say here Rob, but come on, "bleak"? He even says in the article that the game is basically a toss-up but in the title says the Outlook for Iowa is "bleak". Seems just a tad overdramatic

I don't read anything he writes. I will say, though, that this will be a really tough road experience for Stanley and our WR's. we should expect ISU to try and double team Fant, particularly, deep or crossing the middle. So, we need to get AW motioning to Fant's side and use more crossing routes by our WR's. Need to target on the new WR's in this game. This will open up the run and I think JB and AW can then be featured. Running against 8+ in the box is the old GD offense. At least, I hope it's the "old" offense.

With the line back healthy I feel like the run game next week will be very good. Also look for Vandeberg to have another big game against the clowns. 34-17 Iowa.

I agree with what you say here Rob, but come on, "bleak"? He even says in the article that the game is basically a toss-up but in the title says the Outlook for Iowa is "bleak". Seems just a tad overdramatic

I would not categorize our chances in Ames as bleak. But, I didn't write the headline. I do expect a close game. The Hawkeyes are favored by 1.5.

This is the second, or third BS article in a row that he has written on HN. I can't believe Jon and Rob put up with the crap. Give him Chris Williams address and have him move his trash over to Cyclone Nation.

Jon and I aren't going to tell Dave what his opinion should be.

If I were editing for HN, I would suggest that Schwartz go back to his template where he makes a couple surface level observations of an event. Then he goes on a tangent about some completely different subject, and then ends with another brief observation about the Hawkeyes.

Jon and I aren't going to tell Dave what his opinion should be.

Does he honestly feel that Iowa's chances of winning in Ames are "bleak"? It just feels like hyperbole to me, borderline 'stir the pot' click baiting.

Does he honestly feel that Iowa's chances of winning in Ames are "bleak"? It just feels like hyperbole to me, borderline 'stir the pot' click baiting.

I think there will be people that pick Iowa to lose Saturday. Maybe some think the chances there are bleak. Perhaps Dave is among them. I'm not.

Dave is one of our columnists at HN. He's been around here for quite awhile giving his OPINION.

If you don't like him or what he writes, you're allowed that opinion. Don't read it if you don't want to. It will continue to be posted here every Sunday.

I don't always agree with his opinion. He doesn't always agree with mine. Same with Jon. That's how it works.

Good Lord.

If we are really "allowed" an opinion of his opinion why the strong response by you - or any response for that matter?

Capiche?

Wyoming is horrible you are wrong. In two weeks Oregon will put 60 on them. The turnovers were an inexperienced qb out of his element.
As for the ISU game, another 8 completion game and we will lose.
I don't get all this we must have at least a dozen completions or we lose. Heck those ummmmm is it Army or Navy that threw 2 passes and neither one was completed and blew the team out. The clowns are not a juggernaut!

Normally I have a bad feeling about clown week, I do not this week.

I agree this article is mostly crap. UNI's qb looked like he was paid to throw the game at times. Those two pick 6's were just terrible. Without those who knows what the final score is? ISU's defense is pretty damn bad, that is for sure. ISU has better WRs than wyoming but anyone who thinks park is better than a probable top 5 draft pick is a straight up ISU fan boy who's convinced that Park's man-bun looks awesome.

I knew the offense would be pretty horrid for Iowa. The defense is better than expected though, especially the DBs. ISU's offense put up 28 on a FCS defense that was on the field and put in a lot of bad spots. I'm not impressed nor should the writer of this article be. Despite turning the ball over 4 times, the defense surrendered only 3 points. I don't care who you're playing, that's insane. Iowa has a MAJOR advantage in the run game. Run the ball, keep ISU's offense off the field, have the defense do what they do. 17 points should be enough to win this game.

If we are really "allowed" an opinion of his opinion why the strong response by you - or any response for that matter?

Capiche?

Strong response? That's a tad overstated.

I didn't delete anybody's responses in this thread so I would say you can have an opinion.

My point was that Dave is one of our columnists and will be sharing his opinion every Sunday. He has been for awhile.

Nobody is forcing anybody to read it. If you don't like him or his opinions, just move on. We're not going to get rid of him.

I don't like ESPN outside of its game coverage. I don't watch the "hot take" sports shows on ESPN or Fox or the other networks. They're not for me. So, I avoid them. But, somebody is watching them or they wouldn't be on the air.

Strong response? That's a tad overstated.

I didn't delete anybody's responses in this thread so I would say you can have an opinion.

My point was that Dave is one of our columnists and will be sharing his opinion every Sunday. He has been for awhile.

Nobody is forcing anybody to read it. If you don't like him or his opinions, just move on. We're not going to get rid of him.

I don't like ESPN outside of its game coverage. I don't watch the "hot take" sports shows on ESPN or Fox or the other networks. They're not for me. So, I avoid them. But, somebody is watching them or they wouldn't be on the air.

Ok - for the sake of argument let's remove the idea that you had a strong response. But you did have a response.

Why the need to defend him?

Ok - for the sake of argument let's remove the idea that you had a strong response. But you did have a response.

Why the need to defend him?

He's one of our writers. I'm not defending his opinion but his right to have one here. There were a few responses in this thread with people wondering why we allow him to have one.

To me "bleak" is Iowa going into Ohio state on their homecoming game.

Bleak is NOT going into Ames, traditionally a 2-3 win team in which we currently have won 2 in a row and also won 3 of the last 4 in Ames.

if your boss told you the chances of you still being employed next week was "bleak", what would you assume? That there's almost zero chance you'd have a job there next week?

What do we have for an offense? I don't think anyone really knows at this point. Usually you can't leave the defense out on the field all game and have an opponent only score 3 points. Iowa's center was out for the game and the starting left guard has a gimpy ankle. The results were the left side of the line couldn't pass block or run block worth a damn. Stanley seems to have the tools but as of right now, he's lacking the needed composure. Disarray on the offensive line didn't help Stanley's composure. The defense gave him plenty all the time he needed to settle down and Stanley did finally come through. We will probably see at least some more of the same until the offense settles in.

Bleak??? I would be surprised if Cyclones won by a large margin. That is unless Stanley knocks himself out trying to tackle someone.

Iowa's offense is going to have to deal with their own growing pains and the Cyclones looking for a little Iowa respect. That is a recipe for a close ugly game. We've been here before, far too many times. That being said, Iowa does seem to have the pieces on offense. The potential is there to get quite a bit better rather quickly. I like the prospects for the running game if the offensive line is healthy. I also like the prospects for some big passing plays if the line can get Stanley some time. I don't like the prospects of Iowa sustaining multiple long drives. I just don't think the consistency will be there to grind out the clock like Kirk likes to do.

Latest posts