Schwartz: Bleak Outlook for Hawkeyes in Ames

Who writes this crap? ISU looked like pure trash against a pretty bad UNI team for well over a half. The only reason they didnt go into halftime down by 10 was because of two really awful passes by UNI. Even when they wore down UNI in the 4th quarter at no point did ISU's offense look better than average.

Bleak? Bleak might be if we were heading to Ann Arbor or Columbus next week. We aren't, we're headed to Ames to play an improved Cyclone team that just beat an FCS team. Yes, ISU is improved and we could lose but "bleak"? Vegas is going to have Iowa favored I imagine.

Almost seems like Schwartz is trying to become a villain to get more clicks.

It will come down to Iowa's ability to throw the football. Everything else will be fine. Iowa has a decent day throwing the football they will win. If they don't, they won't win. That simple.

Bleak? Bleak might be if we were heading to Ann Arbor or Columbus next week. We aren't, we're headed to Ames to play an improved Cyclone team that just beat an FCS team. Yes, ISU is improved and we could lose but "bleak"? Vegas is going to have Iowa favored I imagine.

Almost seems like Schwartz is trying to become a villain to get more clicks.

^^This^^

Schwartz has earned himself the nickname, "Ol' ClickBait Schwartz"

Bleak is a weird word to uss for the title of an article that talks about a 50/50 type game.

LOL...that was a joke article right? So ISU put up 42 on UNI. 14 were on pick sixes. Let me do the translation for you...10 against Iowa. Teams typically improve the most between game 1 and game 2. I think Iowa's offense will improve and if Stanley takes care of the ball...this looks much different on offense. Iowa also juggled their offense line this first game...and it showed.

I think it's clear we have an inexperienced QB going into a highly hostile stadium. Hopefully, our OL is fully healthy for this game and we can rely on the running game to ease into this contest. The good thing is that Stanley showed he can throw the ball down the field with accuracy and touch. BF just needs to give him opportunities to set up in the pocket, and if the OL gives him time...he's very good. That being said, we also better be prepared for all out blitz's because they are coming. Dump the ball off to your backs with these blitz's...I have no idea where that was yesterday. My god, Butler or Wadley in space against a LB...all day long and we didn't do it once yesterday.

We are so much deeper, bigger, faster, and stronger in the front seven on defense than UNI. I'm not getting the article.

David, if I didn't know better, I'd think you post regularly on Cyfan.

Last edited:
"Butler hits the hole faster than anyone since Marcus Coker."

Coker wasn't great at hitting cutback lanes.

Paraphrasing: "ISU will win by out scoring their opponents, defense be damned."

ISU will win by controlling clock and keeping high powered offenses off the field. Like Iowa they can't afford to get into a track meet either. If Campbell's mindset is to "outscore" you then ISU will be looking for yet another HC in a couple of years. That mindset works for ISU basketball, not for ISU football.

Iowa must look out for the sophomore sensation, Montgomery, as my local sports person said on KIMT last night. Really? It's ISU Hawkeyes, don't lose sight of that fact that they stink. Plan accordingly and create a game plan of runs and tight end passes, like yesterday. Our defense can dictate our field position and I believe we will be fine

I think Iowa's D is for real... I think that alone gives us a punchers chance against ANYBODY. For crying out loud. How many trends / percentages did Iowa buck by having how ever many turnovers they had and not only win but win by 21? Do I think Iowa is capable of losing to an ISU at their place? It's certainly not impossible. But I think BF will improve on his playcalling. The more they setup plays that go north south and less east west the better. If Stanley can not turnover the ball I think the offense has a ceiling that's pretty high. I thought we might see a closer split of the touches between Wadley and Butler that kind of surprised me. But I'm not bent out of shape about it. That said I'd say 24ish touches should be Wadleys ceiling and Butler can certainly can handle more than 10

This game comes down to the pass protection and qb play. It didn't look good yesterday against a bad defense. You know isu will be ready

ISU gave up 400 yards of offense to UNI. If it wasn't for the 2 pick 6s you probably have a completely different game.

I learned nothing about isu yesterday. I did learn that Iowas rush defense is incredible and their pass defense held the best QB in the nation in check

That article was as bad as the Hooray or Ames song.

Why post that crap.

You think the outlook is bleak?
Iowa's defense is much better this year than last. And we held them to 3 points. Are they really that much better?

What a waste of space and time.

I get people are excited about our defense, but that Wyoming offense was awful yesterday. They had no weapons on offense outside of their qb, and a very bad o-line. Not saying our defense isn't good, but we will see what happens when PSU comes to town. They had 600 yards of offense against us last year. The major concern for me is Stanley and our offense. Wyoming was ranked 101st in defense last year and we didn't exactly light them up. Until Stanley can show he can beat people with his arm, he is going to see everyone in the box, and blitz after blitz. This is concerning because B1G teams will be able to cover our receivers man to man and come after the qb.

I watched the ISU game last night. Their Linebackers are small and lack speed. Their defensive line looks undersized. What they have on the defensive line is not impressive and they have no depth. I hope it is 95 degrees and humid on Saturday. Run the Ball Run the Ball, Run the ball..eventually their defense will turn into a wet noodle. Their running game isn't that impressive and Park is not as gifted as I thought he was. UNI racked up 400 yards of offense on them and UNI constantly killed or ruined long plays with penalties. It wasn't as big a mismatch last night as the score says and I am quite sure that UNI is going to be down this year. I suspect they wont have a winning record.

Wyoming was not a bad team.

Defensively, they looked like they played assignment ball pretty well. Wadley and Butler never broke them. Wadley had a good game but only was allowed one Wadley-esque run.

They caused four turnovers. The long TDs they gave up to Fant and Easley were because of the plan to stuff the run and to dare Iowa to pass. Dare accepted and done.

Offensively, Wyoming looked disheveled but based on Iowa's defensive boring, vanilla, no-surprises-here defense history, I'm willing to chalk that up to Iowa playing well just as much as Wyoming's new pieces not meshing.

I don't know. I guess I like it when Iowa wins. And convincingly. And while giving up four turnovers. Crazy, I know.

Latest posts