Schwartz: 12 Sentences – Let’s Watch Hawkeye Football In 2020 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if fans are able to get in the stands there is going to be one, long time element to Hawkeye Football that will be missing...ALCOHOL. I just don't see how you can allow fans to be drinking...even in the tailgate area. Alcohol is idiot juice to most 18-25 year olds...hell...and a lot of people much older (I speak from personal experience here). You can't have a slobbering drunk spewing spit across an entire section of fans. Face masks are obviously mandatory...but policing that is going to be difficult and even more complex if you deal with drunks.

I, for one, if it was part of the requirements to have a zero alcohol on Kinnick grounds...to allow for Hawkeye Football, would sign up immediately.

Listen...I'm in California and there used to be a time when you could drag as much alcohol to the beach as you wanted...set up camp all day...build a pallet fire...and spend time until 11:00pm on the beach...some beaches later than that. They banned alcohol on all where I live...and somehow the beaches are still popular. I know it's not a 100% ban...as you can't police everything...but you don't want the fine if they do. $250 for the first offense...$1000 for the second.

I'm sure this post will bring out the constitutional rights people...but if you want a safe environment...and want football...I just don't see how you can allow any alcohol.

Last edited:
On the one hand, he writes that it's May and no one can predict what September will be like, and ends by writing that fans shouldn't be allowed in the stands for a season that starts in . . . September. Granted it's an opinion piece, but it still should be logical to have credibility. Further, it doesn't need to be 0 or 70,000. Finally, I believe they'll figure out a way to have fans in the stands, and I trust the fans will do their level best to abide by whatever rules will be in place, and for those who don't, they'll be forced to watch the game with Schwartz, holed up in his cave (at an appropriate social distance, of course).

The 2nd wave is coming and it will be brutal. I see more online classes until at least Christmas. No way there are sports in the Fall or Winter, regardless of what the SEC thinks.

Until there is a vaccine, we may as realize we are in a holding pattern.

I shared in another thread about the great clip hairstylists who were symptomatic and saw over 130 clients in a 2 week period. This is not going away. And regardless of peoples feelings of freedom over safety, unfortunately or not, safety wins this battle. At least its not 9/11 where we all are still penalized, I hope.

Can 50% of us agree Schwartz is a dolt? Trying very hard not to get political, but this was Hillary's Deplorable statement. Let the great unwashed masses back into Kinnick and we all die. Start following the science Schwartz, old people, at risk people should not go to Kinnick, the rest.....it is ok. The data does support any of fhe blather you just spewed. Stop with the fear mongering. https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05/15/we-could-open-up-again-and-forget-the-whole-thing/

The problem is Obese and Elderly are the people dying. At Kinnick, the elderly hold the best seats and the obese are always around us.

So you go to Kinnick and are healthy, but Joe blow in the seat next to you has a cough and coughs on you. OH NO, you have Covid 19. You go home and kiss your kids, who then go visit gma at the nursing home. and guess what happens.

BUT, HEY< YOU GOT TO GO TO HAWKEYE GAME!

Can 50% of us agree Schwartz is a dolt? Trying very hard not to get political, but this was Hillary's Deplorable statement. Let the great unwashed masses back into Kinnick and we all die. Start following the science Schwartz, old people, at risk people should not go to Kinnick, the rest.....it is ok. The data does support any of fhe blather you just spewed. Stop with the fear mongering. https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05/15/we-could-open-up-again-and-forget-the-whole-thing/

You’re not seriously taking this in a F’n political direction, are you? You’ve got to be F’n kidding me.

You’re not seriously taking this in a F’n political direction, are you? You’ve got to be F’n kidding me.
No science and data. His whole article had a political subtext, THAT was the point that I was making, please follow the link that I left that was blatantly anti-political. Why are you allowing him to write a column with no grounding in the truth?

No science and data. His whole article had a political subtext, THAT was the point that I was making, please follow the link that I left that was blatantly anti-political. Why are you allowing him to write a column with no grounding in the truth?

he did not reference one political thing in his article yet you did. You wanna try again or just take the ban?

I'm going to disagree with the idea that fans should not be allowed in the stands. I'm going to preface my remarks by explaining that I am 72 year old, in excellent health, not obese and accustomed to some degree of risk, after all life is all about calculating the odds and taking risks if you want to get somewhere in life. Would I attend a game at Kinnick this year? No, I would not because my risks are highly elevated because of my age. Obviously there are no children I have to consider in any decision I make. But should the world stop for those that are very low risk from catching the virus?

I believe the last question is the fundamental issue. I believe there is a solution out there to allow some fans to attend the games in a low risk setting. You might asks how? One obvious way is to make the ticket too expensive for most people to attend. You want to watch ISU vs Iowa that will costs you $500.00. Who can attend? To qualify to buy a ticket to get in you must be at least age 25 and not older than 55. You limit tickets sales to no more than 20K. You would think that the qualifications and costs would weed out the problems Schwartz imagines. There is an actuarial major available at the U of I. Let's turn the instructors loose on how to limit the amount of risk to attend and determine who has the right demographics to attend. A famous president once remarked that " The only thing to fear is fear itself".

Those that want to live in their cave because of fear are welcome to do so, but let's not let reasonable people be held back from making the most of their time on earth.

Before banning fans I wish people would look at the data. Deaths of people under 19 that have no underlining conditions are almost non-existent. The common flu kills about 62,000 people a year. No one is shutting down the country for that. Common sense declares people with preexisting or targeted age group must protect themselves, but it's their choice. If you don't feel safe don't go, that applies to everything. I work retail and nothing stopped people from shopping for things they didn't need. Reducing the number of fans, temp. Checks, masks and gloves, not much different than a crowded store.

Sure the Flu kills 62k a year. This virus has killed nearly 100k in 2 months. Quite a difference. And this is not over.

When do people realize the safety if many over personal freedom is important? Letting this thing hammer us for the next year is far worse than losing a year of football, isnt it?

I fear that if some of you had lived in London during WW2 you would have turned your lights on at night because of personal freedom.

Jesus Henry Christ, we have another COVID thread.

You idiots just can’t help yourselves.
Maybe this is where Schwartz’s article should have been posted. Talking about the virus is more contagious than the virus itself, and has more mutations, too.

Let us reflect on this Memorial Day those that lost their lives defending our freedom to exist. On that note I highly recommend people to watch WWII in color( History channel/app). Awesome job by the producers using real time footage, and interviews of soldiers that were in each battle, not only sharing their memoirs but also showing them tell the story present day. One airforce bomber/fighter squadron lost 23000 men. 3 times more than were lost on D-day by marines on the beach. Only 1 in 4 guys made it to their 25 mission count (allowed to return home) Of the few that did, most chose to stay and fight long after.

I'm going to disagree with the idea that fans should not be allowed in the stands. I'm going to preface my remarks by explaining that I am 72 year old, in excellent health, not obese and accustomed to some degree of risk, after all life is all about calculating the odds and taking risks if you want to get somewhere in life. Would I attend a game at Kinnick this year? No, I would not because my risks are highly elevated because of my age. Obviously there are no children I have to consider in any decision I make. But should the world stop for those that are very low risk from catching the virus?

I believe the last question is the fundamental issue. I believe there is a solution out there to allow some fans to attend the games in a low risk setting. You might asks how? One obvious way is to make the ticket too expensive for most people to attend. You want to watch ISU vs Iowa that will costs you $500.00. Who can attend? To qualify to buy a ticket to get in you must be at least age 25 and not older than 55. You limit tickets sales to no more than 20K. You would think that the qualifications and costs would weed out the problems Schwartz imagines. There is an actuarial major available at the U of I. Let's turn the instructors loose on how to limit the amount of risk to attend and determine who has the right demographics to attend. A famous president once remarked that " The only thing to fear is fear itself".

Those that want to live in their cave because of fear are welcome to do so, but let's not let reasonable people be held back from making the most of their time on earth.

Agree or disagree, you write a well-thought out response that counter's Dave. Well done.

Not sure why that should be so hard other than a dislike for the author that's built up over time. It seems often when I remember to post his columns on here, people see red.

I think that you open it up in some fashion.
It's pretty much a personal choice. It's a choice for each states government, each college and ultimately each person if they want to attend.
I've thought about this quite a bit and while the answers are not exactly easy, I keep coming back to the fact that people have choices and that is life. I mean if you want to go spend the night with 3 hookers in Vegas, that is your choice, but you accept the risk. You want to drive 120 mph, that's your choice, but you accept the risk. If spicy food doesn't agree with you and you choose to eat it....,...
Maybe it's actually a good thing and gives people a sense of taking responsibility for themselves?
In the end I think you open it up, because if you don't, there is going to be watch parties. So you can have 30 or more people all sitting in the same room of a bar or something and if one is infected and sneezes, the atomized saliva will stay airborne for a long time with the air movement of just people moving around. So the case then seems to point to is sitting outside with 30 people around you safer than inside with 30 people sitting around you? I would say outside is definitely safer.
Now that said, I think that safety margin starts to go down when you factor in tailgating and even sitting in the train. So if you tried to somewhat chill on huge groups of tailgating and kept them groups smaller and wore a good mask if you had to ride the train, I would say your odds of catching it are about the same as going to a indoor bar/restaurant and watching the game. Possibly even lower. Or at least close enough that it is negligible.
(Besides they hand out hawk towels at the gate. You would think if someone were going to cough or sneeze even without this whole covid thing, they would be smart enough to do so into the towel. Just saying)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts