Schwartz: 12 Sentences – Let’s Watch Hawkeye Football In 2020 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if fans are able to get in the stands there is going to be one, long time element to Hawkeye Football that will be missing...ALCOHOL. I just don't see how you can allow fans to be drinking...even in the tailgate area. Alcohol is idiot juice to most 18-25 year olds...hell...and a lot of people much older (I speak from personal experience here). You can't have a slobbering drunk spewing spit across an entire section of fans. Face masks are obviously mandatory...but policing that is going to be difficult and even more complex if you deal with drunks.

I, for one, if it was part of the requirements to have a zero alcohol on Kinnick grounds...to allow for Hawkeye Football, would sign up immediately.

Listen...I'm in California and there used to be a time when you could drag as much alcohol to the beach as you wanted...set up camp all day...build a pallet fire...and spend time until 11:00pm on the beach...some beaches later than that. They banned alcohol on all where I live...and somehow the beaches are still popular. I know it's not a 100% ban...as you can't police everything...but you don't want the fine if they do. $250 for the first offense...$1000 for the second.

I'm sure this post will bring out the constitutional rights people...but if you want a safe environment...and want football...I just don't see how you can allow any alcohol.

Half the fans or better don't park on university property.

The problem is Obese and Elderly are the people dying. At Kinnick, the elderly hold the best seats and the obese are always around us.

So you go to Kinnick and are healthy, but Joe blow in the seat next to you has a cough and coughs on you. OH NO, you have Covid 19. You go home and kiss your kids, who then go visit gma at the nursing home. and guess what happens.

BUT, HEY< YOU GOT TO GO TO HAWKEYE GAME!

You do realize nursing homes are all closed off right? You can't even have a visitor in a hospital. And if anyone goes to visit Grandma in these times, that is on them (the parents) and on Grandma.

If COVID is an enemy we are fighting a war against, it appears it's using a divide and conquer strategy. Looking at how divided we are now, it appears that strategy is working.

That's why I said so much of the debate and arguing is because people are basing their opinions and finding articles to support said opinions based on personal situations.
Which should be a factor, but only part of the decision. If every person in government knew that their child would be on the front lines of a war, would they still vote the same? Maybe, but maybe not.
In other words, it's easy for fans to back their opinion on what should happen with college football (or anything really) when they are not really vested in it.
However it's different if you are KF. He has considered several sides. His age, his staff, his own son being on that staff as well as other people's son's being players.
In my experience people who can see multiple sides to almost everything are fairly intelligent, if for no other reason than they tend to be open minded and probably have empathy in that they can put themselves into many situations and have perspective from those situations. Usually these types of people make good decisions.

Last edited:
If I end it, the conversation will just move to another thread. And then if I end that, it will move to another one, and so on.

If posters aren't going to police themselves, there's only so much I can do. I'm not dedicating 24 hours a day, seven days a week to monitoring it. I'm too old for that shit.

You do realize nursing homes are all closed off right? You can't even have a visitor in a hospital. And if anyone goes to visit Grandma in these times, that is on them (the parents) and on Grandma.

You realize grandparents are raising their grandchildren now.

You realize grandparents are raising their grandchildren now.

Yes, great strategy. Make the uncommon seem common. So, in that case, where poor health elderly grandparents are raising grand kids (most likely meth parents??), the kiddies would stay home. Assume you are talking school age. They have no reason to be going out. Even in that case it has nothing to do with football or any kind of gatherings. Grandma and Grandpa can go get groceries or get them picked up at parking lot. No need to go in. No need for grandkids to go in or go anywhere.

What does this debate between westender and Motigerhawk have to do with Iowa sports coming back?

Do forum rules not apply to you guys?

I'm sorry, but using one or two examples of a 30 year old having a negative reaction doesn't prove it's veracity....it just doesn't. Are you saying the CDC is lying? Because that's coming from them. If you take away the 75% of deaths that occurred from sticking sick elderly back into nursing homes, the fatality rate is .2%. The 2018 flu season, which was the worst in several years, was about .2%.
I'm sorry, but using one or two examples of a 30 year old having a negative reaction doesn't prove it's veracity....it just doesn't. Are you saying the CDC is lying? Because that's coming from them. If you take away the 75% of deaths that occurred from sticking sick elderly back into nursing homes, the fatality rate is .2%. The 2018 flu season, which was the worst in several years, was about .2%.

We’re largely talking about 2 different topics - morbidity vs. mortality. CDC provides what we call “big data”, meaning surveillance on easy to track metrics, mortality and simple cases being examples. And again, you’re focusing on the %, which is one way to view the data. But we don’t test everyone for SARS-CoV-2 just like we don’t test everyone for influenza. So percentages have a built in range. But what cannot be disputed as the raw # of deaths between the COVID-19 and influenza. And we’re not even halfway through the game yet with COVID where influenza has already been tabulated on an annual basis. As it relates to morbidity, this data is much less amendable in part due to it being a novel virus with ramifications wide ranging. If you don’t attribute or think to attribute a negative outcome to being due to COVID, then you’re fighting surveillance bias and you’ll simply miss it. It has little to do with “1-2 cases not providing enough veracity.” So you can cite the CDC all you wish - it’s a reputable source. But you need to further understand the inherent limitations of big data while appreciating what it cannot fully tell you. My point remains, when you work in this field and see the shit on a daily basis of what happens, the morbidity is nothing like that of influenza.

I hadn't heard it causes a stroke in otherwise healthy 30 year olds. Like I said I don't follow the news much at all.
How many 30 year olds has this happened to? I hadn't even heard that about 60 year olds, I thought the pneumonia was the biggest concern.

Yes, there are emerging concerns for stroke In notably young individuals. There are a lot of CDC citations on this site so I’ll attach another reputable journal I regularly read: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009787

Now, these are the first reports and this doesn’t prove cause and effect or provide any incidence of outcome. We simply cannot quantify the risk yet when so many unknowns still exist. You cannot begin to establish cause and effect until you’re initially even aware that there’s a problem, just like we came to find out that COVID-19 can cause substantial acute respiratory distress syndrome - you learn about the true incidence as you go along and actually begin to perform surveillance to capture that data. There will be more literature on this topic since we’re really only 5 months into this virus. More to come, without question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts