Schwartz: 12 Sentences – Let’s Watch Hawkeye Football In 2020 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to disagree with the idea that fans should not be allowed in the stands. I'm going to preface my remarks by explaining that I am 72 year old, in excellent health, not obese and accustomed to some degree of risk, after all life is all about calculating the odds and taking risks if you want to get somewhere in life. Would I attend a game at Kinnick this year? No, I would not because my risks are highly elevated because of my age. Obviously there are no children I have to consider in any decision I make. But should the world stop for those that are very low risk from catching the virus?

I believe the last question is the fundamental issue. I believe there is a solution out there to allow some fans to attend the games in a low risk setting. You might asks how? One obvious way is to make the ticket too expensive for most people to attend. You want to watch ISU vs Iowa that will costs you $500.00. Who can attend? To qualify to buy a ticket to get in you must be at least age 25 and not older than 55. You limit tickets sales to no more than 20K. You would think that the qualifications and costs would weed out the problems Schwartz imagines. There is an actuarial major available at the U of I. Let's turn the instructors loose on how to limit the amount of risk to attend and determine who has the right demographics to attend. A famous president once remarked that " The only thing to fear is fear itself".

Those that want to live in their cave because of fear are welcome to do so, but let's not let reasonable people be held back from making the most of their time on earth.

Good ideas and make them wear masks as they could be infectious unless they can test 10-20K people in 2 hrs before the game.

I've heard two epidemiologists predict there's a good chance the virus will just die out fairly soon based on certain patterns they've noticed. Not predicting that will happen but just offering a glimmer of hope.

Idk what is going to happen, I know I am glad we are resuming practice, I know I am glad we are planning on having football.
In the end, around my house, we were not to scared to start with and I am in no way trying to belittle or otherwise disparage people who were concerned. There are very valid reasons on just about every side of the argument.
My aunt was a school teacher in Iowa all of her life and her and I don't see eye to eye on some things about all this and while we have both given our thoughts on the matter, at the end of the day she is still my aunt.
I think that her arguments and many peoples are based more on personal situations and I understand that. It's like cattle farmers being concerned with cattle prices and pretty much nobody else cares.
With that in mind, I don't know the answer for college football nor for individual universities. I think that it must be an individual decision. I understand that there is a structure with conferences and the NCAA, but it's not really fair for some schools in the pac 12 to think that the entire country should wait for them either. Again that seems to be a opinion based on personal situation.
That's why I don't think there is necessarily a right and wrong answer in all this. I don't think it's cut and dried. That's why I don't follow the news very closely and I don't like discussing things with people who think everything is cut and dried. Because every situation is different for every person, every town, every state. It may be a common enemy so to speak, but wars are divided into battles and each battle is different.

Last edited:
Idk what is going to happen, I know I am glad we are resuming practice, I know I am glad we are planning on having football.
In the end, around my house, we were not to scared to start with and I am in no way trying to belittle or otherwise disparage people who were concerned. There are very valid reasons on just about every side of the argument.
My aunt was a school teacher in Iowa all of her life and her and I don't see eye to eye on some things about all this and while we have both given our thoughts on the matter, at the end of the day she is still my aunt.
I think that her arguments and many peoples are based more on personal situations and I understand that. It's like cattle farmers being concerned with cattle prices and pretty much nobody else cares.
With that in mind, I don't know the answer for college football nor for individual universities. I think that it must be an individual decision. I understand that there is a structure with conferences and the NCAA, but it's not really fair for some schools in the pac 12 to think that the entire country should wait for them either. Again that seems to be a opinion based on personal situation.
That's why I don't think there is necessarily a right and wrong answer in all this. I don't think it's cut and dried. That's why I don't follow the news very closely and I don't like discussing things with people who think everything is cut and dried. Because every situation is different for every person, every town, every state. It may be a common enemy so to speak, but wars are divided into battles and each battle is different.

Excellent post. Thank you.

I'm going to disagree with the idea that fans should not be allowed in the stands. I'm going to preface my remarks by explaining that I am 72 year old, in excellent health, not obese and accustomed to some degree of risk, after all life is all about calculating the odds and taking risks if you want to get somewhere in life. Would I attend a game at Kinnick this year? No, I would not because my risks are highly elevated because of my age. Obviously there are no children I have to consider in any decision I make. But should the world stop for those that are very low risk from catching the virus?

I believe the last question is the fundamental issue. I believe there is a solution out there to allow some fans to attend the games in a low risk setting. You might asks how? One obvious way is to make the ticket too expensive for most people to attend. You want to watch ISU vs Iowa that will costs you $500.00. Who can attend? To qualify to buy a ticket to get in you must be at least age 25 and not older than 55. You limit tickets sales to no more than 20K. You would think that the qualifications and costs would weed out the problems Schwartz imagines. There is an actuarial major available at the U of I. Let's turn the instructors loose on how to limit the amount of risk to attend and determine who has the right demographics to attend. A famous president once remarked that " The only thing to fear is fear itself".

Those that want to live in their cave because of fear are welcome to do so, but let's not let reasonable people be held back from making the most of their time on earth.
My problem with this line of thinking is that yes, you will not get the virus from not attending the game, but what about all the potentially exposed people at the game who potentially get it then go to grocery stores where you frequent or to hospitals and affect others? I'm glad I'm not the one who has to be responsible for making the decision.

The rest of it is very well thought out but it would be unfortunate for people to simply be priced out of attending a game. It's already the direction Iowa Football has been heading for the last 20 years :(

Last edited:
Barring something like the University charging $500 a ticket, if the stadium is opened this fall to the fans, I'm going to the games. I don't need to tailgate and to give random high fives to some guy I don't know, but I will go, because there will have been health care professionals who were a part of the decision to open the stadium. And I won't drive 120 mph to get there, or bring along 3 Vegas hookers, but I'll wear a mask and gloves if I'm required (maybe even if I'm not), and watch the Hawkeyes vie for a Big Ten title, and then I'll go home, and spend the rest of the week being just as judicious and cautious around other people, particularly the elderly and infirm. And I'll do it just the same the next time the Hawkeyes are at Kinnick. That's my hope for this fall. If others don't want to join in, so be it. I think you'll be missing out, but that's up to you.
I love this post.

My problem with this line of thinking is that yes, you will not get the virus from not attending the game, but what about all the potentially exposed people at the game who potentially get it then go to grocery stores where you frequent or to hospitals and affect others? I'm glad I'm not the one who has to be responsible for making the decision.

The rest of it is very well thought out but it would be unfortunate for people to simply be priced out of attending a game. It's already the direction Iowa Football has been heading for the last 20 years :(

The CDC put out a stat the other day that their calculated mortality, given the fact that there are so many asymptomatic people that aren't being tested but are being picked up via serology testing, is .4%. When removing for pre-existing and 75 and older, the mortality for everyone else is .2%. In other words, for the majority of people, it's like being in a bad flu season....not the 3.4% that was originally released by the WHO before more info was known.

Given that, I see no reason why we can't have games at full or near full capacity as long as measures are taken to reduce exposure to the at-risk population.

Gambling is fun

EDIT: This is where I land. Missouris hot spot has been St. Louis county which borders the town I live in. After the Lake of the Ozarks shit show, 3 weeks from now will tell me where this is going. If there is not a spike or another wave, then Im all for opening it all up. Full speed ahead. But if there is another spike and wave, with hundreds or thousands of deaths, then you know where I stand.

Gambling is fun

EDIT: This is where I land. Missouris hot spot has been St. Louis county which borders the town I live in. After the Lake of the Ozarks shit show, 3 weeks from now will tell me where this is going. If there is not a spike or another wave, then Im all for opening it all up. Full speed ahead. But if there is another spike and wave, with hundreds or thousands of deaths, then you know where I stand.

Same thing where I am near. The place that reported the first case around is a tourist area. Yet while every other county in the state has reported a steady rise in cases they have not gone up one since just a week or two into all this. Something isn't right about that. One of largest populated countries around, that is also a tourist hot spot and they not only have less cases but haven't gotten anymore since this all started? Well that's tourism I guess.

The CDC put out a stat the other day that their calculated mortality, given the fact that there are so many asymptomatic people that aren't being tested but are being picked up via serology testing, is .4%. When removing for pre-existing and 75 and older, the mortality for everyone else is .2%. In other words, for the majority of people, it's like being in a bad flu season....not the 3.4% that was originally released by the WHO before more info was known.

Given that, I see no reason why we can't have games at full or near full capacity as long as measures are taken to reduce exposure to the at-risk population.

In Iowa as of 5/25/2020 88% of the people that died from Covid 19 were over age 60. Over half were residents of long term care facilities. This pretty much confirms what the CDC is calculating.

God. I hope you are right!

I think millenials say "ok boomer".

What I mean by that is get rid of the damn run to the short side, KF

Sometimes it's easier to dodge the punch then to stand there like Rocky saying "ain't so bad".
Other times you just have to let them know that you will go toe to toe.

In Iowa as of 5/25/2020 88% of the people that died from Covid 19 were over age 60. Over half were residents of long term care facilities. This pretty much confirms what the CDC is calculating.
Yeah, one of the closest cases to me personally is a gal my better half went to school with. She is doing chemotherapy and as far as I know doing ok at home, but definitely has a weak immune system.
What really truly breaks my heart about all this (I know this is a football thread and tough guy and all) is that these older and more susceptible people, know and they just want to see people's faces and be around people, be close to people before they part this Earth.

There are numerous shortcomings to establishing the true death rate from COVID19. We don’t even know the true rate from influenza on an annual basis. The raw # of deaths, not even in a quarter of the time as an annual influenza strain, is impressive and alarming. And for those of you not in the medical profession, the morbidity of COVID19 is far worse than “just a bad flu”. Influenza doesn’t cause stroke in 30 something year-olds with NO underlying past medical history or myocardial infarction not accompanied by respiratory symptoms. Sure, you might survive COVID-19, but a stroke or MI can leave you with lifelong devastating consequences, not to mention individuals have spent up to 5 weeks in the hospital, most of those in the ICU with a rotoprone bed. And that’s before you factor in the cost incurred after you survive. The medical bill, now that you cannot pay since you’re out of a job and therefore health insurance, is simply insurmountable. The morbidity ramifications of seasonal influenza just doesn’t come close to COVID-19.

1918-pandemic-football-game-andy-mcneil.png

Ga Tech game during 1918 flu epidemic.
If it can be done then, it can be done 100 years later.

There are numerous shortcomings to establishing the true death rate from COVID19. We don’t even know the true rate from influenza on an annual basis. The raw # of deaths, not even in a quarter of the time as an annual influenza strain, is impressive and alarming. And for those of you not in the medical profession, the morbidity of COVID19 is far worse than “just a bad flu”. Influenza doesn’t cause stroke in 30 something year-olds with NO underlying past medical history or myocardial infarction not accompanied by respiratory symptoms. Sure, you might survive COVID-19, but a stroke or MI can leave you with lifelong devastating consequences, not to mention individuals have spent up to 5 weeks in the hospital, most of those in the ICU with a rotoprone bed. And that’s before you factor in the cost incurred after you survive. The medical bill, now that you cannot pay since you’re out of a job and therefore health insurance, is simply insurmountable. The morbidity ramifications of seasonal influenza just doesn’t come close to COVID-19.
I hadn't heard it causes a stroke in otherwise healthy 30 year olds. Like I said I don't follow the news much at all.
How many 30 year olds has this happened to? I hadn't even heard that about 60 year olds, I thought the pneumonia was the biggest concern.

If COVID is an enemy we are fighting a war against, it appears it's using a divide and conquer strategy. Looking at how divided we are now, it appears that strategy is working.

I'm sorry, but using one or two examples of a 30 year old having a negative reaction doesn't prove it's veracity....it just doesn't. Are you saying the CDC is lying? Because that's coming from them. If you take away the 75% of deaths that occurred from sticking sick elderly back into nursing homes, the fatality rate is .2%. The 2018 flu season, which was the worst in several years, was about .2%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts