Say it is the Rose Bowl, what would winning it mean?!

It would likely mean finishing in the top 5 for the first time since 1958. That matters.

#1--How does anyone know how we'll end up ranked?

#2--Rankings/shmankings....we all crabbed all year about how the 'rankers' disrespected Iowa...so now we're going to support the idea of bogus rankings?

#3--The only ranking that really matters is the CPF rankings....*any* other rankings are nice for coffee table discussions and for the talking heads to think they still matter. They don't.

Don't kid yourself the Iowa recruiting ranking never varies that much and its more a function of geography than blaming the current staff. I know its cliche but Iowa has to find the diamonds in the rough, the players that other schools have overlooked. Its more important for Iowa to keep a high percentage of its players from transferring/quitting than having a high recruiting ranking.

Its nice when we pull the occasional Jaleel Johnson or Jordan Walsh but more often than not its players like Drew Ott(8 man football player not offerred by Nebraska, Bazata not offerred by Nebraska, Josey Jewell who I believe only had FCS offers, Jordan Canzeri who was headed to Villanova or some small school until we got in at the end and Desmond King Thorpe winner who was not offerred by MSU or Michigan.

This is the biggest reason Kirk Ferentz is the right coach for Iowa, not a lot of coaches can take players for the most part that have been overlooked by others and win with them. Its also why Iowa is a cycle program and will not win every year.

Not true at all.

The 08-10 teams had a much higher number of 4 stars on them than normal, especially from Illinois and Missouri, to go along with the diamonds in the rough and not surprisingly it showed on the field, even though those teams underachieved we had talent to compete with anyone.

That wasn't just one year that was three classes. Then we completely fell off the radar for some reason.

If Iowa finishes in the top 5-7 area the recruiting numbers should take a nice bump up. Follow it up next year with another west championship when people are actually on the band wagon and it will bump up exponentially.

Simply put, I'd rather lose in the playoffs than win in a consolation bowl game.

Especially considering you have to be a B1G league champ to make the playoffs.

National eyes are on the playoffs. Local eyes are on the consolation bowl games.

Well, yeah. But we don't have time machines. So at least we are in the premier Jan 1 game.

Without looking, somebody tell me the teams who played in the non-playoff Big-6 bowl games last year, and, who won.

(thought so)

Now, tell me who the final four teams were, and who won each game.

End of discussion.

I remember Michigan State beating the little 12's holy Baylor.

And Wisconsin beating Auburn.

Very significant games for the B1G, which of course, were mostly forgotten at the start of this season by the talking head cases - the B1G as back to being weak again.

And no, honestly, last year's Hawk-slayer bowl didn't interest me in the least. It was a crap bowl for a crap season. Nobody watched, or cared about it, other than Iowa and TN fans.

I usually don't say much about posters but my goodness Seth53 you must be
A. a soccer mom or
B. a little leaguers dad

People remember the playoffs last year because it was the first one and it was 1 year ago. Once the years start blending together, people won't remember all 4 teams from years past.

People remember the playoffs last year because it was the first one and it was 1 year ago. Once the years start blending together, people won't remember all 4 teams from years past.

I bet there are plenty of people who don't even remember all the national champions from recent years. National perception is over rated. Sports is about your own accomplishments and personal memories. This team has been great and who cares if only Iowa fans care about the Rose Bowl?

I usually don't say much about posters but my goodness Seth53 you must be
A. a soccer mom or
B. a little leaguers dad

Neither.

What I am is a non-Kool Aid-drinker who is particularly pragmatic.

Some folks don't like/understand pragmaticism.

So, yeah, OK, Rose Bowl is big news to B1G fans. But so is the Sugar to the SEC and Orange to the ACC, on and on.

Look, go over and read the Stanford's comments. They wanted OSU for a national spotlight game. Their own fanbase is going to blow this one off.

Last edited:
Neither.

What I am is a non-Kool Aid-drinking who is particularly pragmatic.

Some folks don't like/understand pragmaticism.

So, yeah, OK, Rose Bowl is big news to B1G fans. But so is the Sugar to the SEC and Orange to the ACC, on and on.

Look, go over and read the Stanford's comments. They wanted OSU for a national spotlight game. Their own fanbase is going to blow this one off.
Look why don't you just stay over there on the Stanford board because you don't belong on this one!

What would it mean? Nothing really. The biggest game of the year was yesterday and although they represented well they lost it. Whatever bowl game they end up in is anti climactic at this point, it's just another game.

!00% wrong. Just another game???? Go home you're drunk.

…..25 years in the future in the Hawkeye football complex….

Little Billy: “Daddy’s what’s that cool trophy?â€￾

Big Billy: “Son, that’s the 2016 Rose Bowl Winners Trophy. We went out to California, laid the wood to Stanford and brought home this nice piece of hardware. Iowa finished 13-1.â€￾

Little Billy: “Gee dad, that must have been a very special season. Probably the best ever huh? I bet we could have beaten anybody that year!â€￾

Big Billy: (with a faraway look in his eyes)…â€￾Well son, let me explain how we got there…..â€￾

If this Rose Bowl trip gets Iowa one 5* recruit it will be well worth it. A win may get them 1 or 2 more. Damn wouldn't that be grand.

Win this game Hawkeyes and let's see what happens!

Little Billy: “Daddy’s what’s that cool trophy?â€

Big Billy: “Son, that’s the 2016 Rose Bowl Winners Trophy. We went out to California, laid the wood to Stanford and brought home this nice piece of hardware. Iowa finished 13-1.â€

Little Billy: “Gee dad, that must have been a very special season. Probably the best ever huh? I bet we could have beaten anybody that year!â€

Big Billy: (with a faraway look in his eyes)…â€Well son, let me explain how we got there…..â€

Most Iowa fans wax nostalgic about the 1985 season. They talk about these things:
-Iowa's #1 rating for much of the season
-Iowa's classic win over #2 Michigan in Kinnick in a game for the ages
-Iowa's Chuck Long finishing 2nd in the Heisman voting
-Iowa going to the Rose Bowl

Seth's recollection of Iowa's '85 season
-Freaking Hayden Fry only tying for the B1G title and going freaking 7-1
-Iowa losing the national championship chance at Ohio St. losing 22-13
-Iowa got waxed by UCLA in the Rose

I mean what a waste of a season according to Seth. We had the national championship within our grasp, and Hayden can't bring it home. Not only that if Iowa doesn't blow that game against OSU all they have to do is beat a freaking 2 loss UCLA team that was only rated #13 at the time. Talk about an EASY path to the national title. What a wasted season........

Little Billy: “Daddy’s what’s that cool trophy?â€

Big Billy: “Son, that’s the 2016 Rose Bowl Winners Trophy. We went out to California, laid the wood to Stanford and brought home this nice piece of hardware. Iowa finished 13-1.â€

Little Billy: “Gee dad, that must have been a very special season. Probably the best ever huh? I bet we could have beaten anybody that year!â€

Big Billy: (with a faraway look in his eyes)…â€Well son, let me explain how we got there…..â€

Big Billy: "....but before i do that let me show you this 2017 National Championship trophy."

Seth, you're weird.

Latest posts