Sandfort Huge Miss.... Now?

Curious, do you think Brookins was just hot or was he under utilized prior to the tourney? He launched some real strikes during that run. Al McGuire really like Arnold and Brookins.
I think it was it was a perfect storm of Lester coming back and demanding attention, Vince getting over a couple nagging injuries, and a well timed hot streak similar to Kevin Gamble in the 1987 run.

Lute didn't start Brookins early in the tournament, sticking with the Waite and Krafciscin twin tower lineup. But then Brookins got on the streak of his life, and forced his way in.

Vince nearly came up big in 1979 NCAA'S vs Toledo as well. He tied it late before Stan Joplin untied it at the buzzer:(

Hopefully that's not his best game of the year and he keeps playing like that... I mean that sort of performance makes anyone a tough team to beat. Wasn't sure he was capable of that but good for him and the team.

One solid game among a veritable smorgasbord of turds does not vindicate said turds.

I would think with your vast education you would have heard of the concept of recency bias, but alas, I don’t have experience with correspondence schools.

And for that, I’ll give you a pass.
You may have missed on your call on Sandfort. Truth is, we won't really know until after this year how consistent he will be.

I think I missed on my statement that he may not have the best backspin on his shots. I went to the game Thursday and witnessed live. I watched yesterdays game and they looked pretty good with backspin. My bad. It's only fair to Payton that I man up and admit I may have been wrong on that.

We've all been frustrated with his shooting this year, but he's had more than 2 good games and had several in the past 2 years. Even if his shot isn't going he does so much else for the team. Smart player, good rebounder for a guard, effective defender and just his outside threat draws coverage that opens up thew floor for others.
I'm sure no one is more frustrated with his shot than PS. He's not a recruiting miss, some of the olds on here may remember Kevin Boyle losing his shot after being an All-American.

Sandfort has never been the guy before. He's now on scouting reports as one of Iowa's only 3 pt threats. He's learning to play with some added pressure. I think he'll be just fine. I felt like Iowa had no choice but to ride him with Pat being out...and so far so good.

Sandfort has been in a slump but that doesn’t mean he’s not a capable division 1 basketball player. He showed signs last year and everyone said he had a great summer. I thought he would eventually come out of his slump. One or two games doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to start being productive all of the time but I am hopeful that he is putting the slump behind him and ready to take his game to a higher level. If he does it’ll make Iowa tough to defend with Murray and Rebraca performing at their current level.

Yes, we as fans have to realize and acknowledge most players get into a bad slump in their college career, especially common their sophomore year. This is because teams now have more scouting on these players, and they are starting to come to their own with experience.

Last edited:
I'm sure no one is more frustrated with his shot than PS. He's not a recruiting miss, some of the olds on here may remember Kevin Boyle losing his shot after being an All-American.
I remember this. It was an entire year and he was really in a funk. He wasn't the natural shooter that Payton Sandfort is. But definitely was in his head. He couldn't even knock down free throws.

He's young Fry. He played a good game. Actually his 2nd in a row. I really don't get your mentality. Your post about him was one of the worst I've seen on here in calling out players. I have no issue with calling them out, but seriously don't do it. I have no problems with calling him out. But it was over the top.

It's not been hard to see his potential, especially in his ability to see the floor and make passes. So many bigs see only what is right in front of them. The drama continues. My correspondence graduate degree comes from a face-to-face P5 school and my BS from a regional school that is academically challenging. I work for a P5 university in a job requiring an advanced degree and I have my own business.

Btw, Buena Vista happens to have one of my published books on the shelf. That shouldn't be too far for you. But don't worry, I know of 269 other libraries that carry it including in Australia, China, Qatar, UAE, Britain, Germany and Holland.
God damn. Way to bring the heat, Gold.

But hey, Fry is always right. Ask Fry. Comparing education, degrees, intellect, logic, and reason will get you nowhere.

At the end of the day, really happy for this young man finding his stroke at last.

At the end of the day, really happy for this young man finding his stroke at last.
Yes for sure. Lost is that he has gone over 20 points 2x playing 21 and 22 minutes both times. He is a full year younger than PM was when he played regularly. There probably not all that many players historically that have hit +20 points in a game for Iowa 2x.

Boyle's scoring average declined all four years....

A long time ago I did a fascinating statistical comp between Boyle and Kenyon Murray. Their stats, and their career arcs, are almost dead even carbon copies. Ironically both were known as defensive stoppers as well.

Taking just one stat, career points. Murray scored 1,230 points for a career average of 9.9 ppg. Boyle scored 1,189, good for 10.1 ppg. They currently stand 26th and 27th all time on the list. And you could probably find similar comps in half a dozen different categories.

Boyle's scoring average declined all four years....

A long time ago I did a fascinating statistical comp between Boyle and Kenyon Murray. Their stats, and their career arcs, are almost dead even carbon copies. Ironically both were known as defensive stoppers as well.
KF?

God damn. Way to bring the heat, Gold.

But hey, Fry is always right. Ask Fry. Comparing education, degrees, intellect, logic, and reason will get you nowhere.

I know that. I was messing with him...with the truth but trying to be funny. Sometimes he's speechless though we don't aways know why. He gave me a "pass".

I hope I did. I miss all the time. One game isn't enough to tell, though.
After an 0 for 19 brickfest to start the B10 season, most thought Sandfort was a bust. I know I did. Got to agree here, a couple of good games doesn't mean Sandfort is the man. Let's see how he handles teams gearing up for him now. If he can deliver consistent production with teams trying to stop him then he more than belongs. Hell, the early scouting report probably on him probably was " let him fire away."

After an 0 for 19 brickfest to start the B10 season, most thought Sandfort was a bust. I know I did. Got to agree here, a couple of good games doesn't mean Sandfort is the man. Let's see how he handles teams gearing up for him now. If he can deliver consistent production with teams trying to stop him then he more than belongs. Hell, the early scouting report probably on him probably was " let him fire away."

I specifically recall the shot the other night against Rutgers where he got the ball turned and shot all in one motion and hit nuttin' but net. That showed me he was locked in with some confidence which is a good sign. If he gets shots off that fast with confidence, he's gunna be a hard guard. That was good to see.