Sagarin ratings

This is all per kenpom.

Iowa has beaten Xavier (46), Notre Dame (52) and UTEP (91). Drake is at 113. This is 3 neutral court wins and a home win against the top 113...threw Drake in there because they're close and it was a neutral court game. We play Nebraska (90) next.

Iowa State has beaten Iowa (13), Michigan (21) and BYU (47). That's 2 home wins and a road win. Iowa State plays Boise State (54) tomorrow...I think.

Iowa is currently 13 and Iowa State is currently 15. We are 5 and 7 in Sagarin. It's no wonder it was a 3 point game when we played.

Both teams are going to the NCAA Tournament...unless Iowa State has a key injury. I don't think Iowa State is deep enough to lose 1 of their top 4 guys and keep it going.

This is all per kenpom.

Iowa has beaten Xavier (46), Notre Dame (52) and UTEP (91). Drake is at 113. This is 3 neutral court wins and a home win against the top 113...threw Drake in there because they're close and it was a neutral court game. We play Nebraska (90) next.

Iowa State has beaten Iowa (13), Michigan (21) and BYU (47). That's 2 home wins and a road win. Iowa State plays Boise State (54) tomorrow...I think.

Iowa is currently 13 and Iowa State is currently 15. We are 5 and 7 in Sagarin. It's no wonder it was a 3 point game when we played.

Both teams are going to the NCAA Tournament...unless Iowa State has a key injury. I don't think Iowa State is deep enough to lose 1 of their top 4 guys and keep it going.

Agreed about the injury thing for the clones... I think we could cope with losing a guard but take one of the front court players out (ejim, hogue, or Niang) and we'd be in serious trouble.

Also love to see both Iowa and ISU up there in the rankings as that means neither is playing all cupcakes and is scheduling some decent competition. I think we (ISU) could do to get one more big game early (in addition to the likes of Michigan and BYU). I would like at least 3 or 4 "major conference / NCAA tourney" teams to play in the non-con each year (not including iowa), but it's still better than the scheduling was not that long ago. And iowa seems to be doing pretty good at scheduling too, just one more true road game would be my one improvement needed. Try to get a Pac-12 or SEC team to do a home and home with you each year (and that goes for ISU too).

BYU is not tough?

7-5 teams are not normally looked at as very good teams. Isu had been in the hole with every single team they have faced away from hilton this year. I expect them to start dropping road games against actual good teams very soon.

7-5 teams are not normally looked at as very good teams. Isu had been in the hole with every single team they have faced away from hilton this year. I expect them to start dropping road games against actual good teams very soon.

Consulted my therapist and she foresaw several road losses for the Clones.....

images

:cool:

It's college basketball. Iowa State probably loses to the majority of good teams on the road in conference.

I think to say that ISU hasn't beaten anyone on the road or on a neutral court is kind of silly. They beat BYU, and this early how many tough road games do teams have? Iowa has one tough road game, and ISU had a tough road game. They were both in a tournament (3 neutral court games), plus both played another team on neutral court (Drake, UNI).

Both ISU and Iowa will be doing great if they go better than .500 on the road (5-4)....and then protect the home court. That is a recipe for 12-15 wins conference wins

Similar to the academic year, nonconference games are like weekly quizzes and conference games are the real chapter tests and final exams, so still early to say which is better. Let's wait until mid-conference season to better evaluate both teams. This season reminds me of the turtle and the hare story...

ISU has two non-home wins better than ANY of Iowa's wins. Both teams will have opportunities on the road against VERY good teams.

Based on what? I'm assuming you mean BYU and Boise when you say ISU has 2 better neutral/road wins. As of today, Xavier has a higher KenPom rating than both. I'm not saying Xavier is better than both, but just using the best rating system we have at this point in the season. I will say when taking Home/Away/Neutral out of it, Notre Dame with Grant, is better than all those teams. ND and Xavier both have higher KenPom ratings than Boise.

Here are those 4 teams KenPom ratings... and I understand that we are splitting hairs here, but that is my point. Saying that ISU's 2 neutral/road wins are better than ANY Iowa wins just isn't true, debatable? .. sure.

45. Xavier
46. BYU
52. Notre Dame
54. Boise St.

We both know that Mich and Iowa are your 2 best wins at this point, which is better than what Iowa can say. And yes, we both will have chances to win some road games against ranked teams this year. Hopefully Iowa can get one of those (pointing at Wisconsin).

Byu is a better win than mich. It was on the road.

It is really all debatable, and irrelevant at the same time. It is waaaayyyy to early to tell which is ultimately going to be better. BYU has 5 losses, and if they don't make the NCAA, I think a win over a NCAA team at home is better than beating a non NCAA team on the road.

I realize ISU played at BYU. I watched the entire game. At this point the BYU/Mich wins are debatable. Deanvog is right that it is waayyy to early to tell. But, at this point BYU is probably a borderline tourney team. At the end of the year, the "talking heads" and tourney committee will look at Michigan being more of a quality win since I think they finish top 5 of the B10 and will be at worst an 8 seed. Even though that game was played at home, I just think Michigan is that much better of a team. Doesn't matter though, ISU will have a better road win before this season is over.

BYU is ranked #27 per the Sagarin Ratings, which is the topic of this thread. That road win is a good road win and better than Iowa's top win against #54 Xavier and #60 Notre Dame. Heck, even their away win against Boise State, #46 is better than Iowa's best two wins.