Ryan Boyle

It'd have been interesting to see what he could have done... I'm not goin to say if he could or couldn't play at this level. He's an athletic kid gotta give him that.

For about the tenth time on this board, a graduate transfer doesn't need a release to go somewhere else. KF can't stop a grad transfer from going to a rival school even if he wanted to.

You are wrong. The current rule that prevents coaches from blocking players from transferring took effect 10/15/2018 prior to Boyle's graduation.

Minnesota was interested in Boyle, but even as a gradaute transfer his release was blocked by Ferentz for all teams on the 2018 and 2019 Hawkeyes' schedule. So, yes, the NCAA created a rule to prevent coaches from blocking and Ferentz knew the rule was forthcoming, but he blocked him anyway. A good QB would have made a big difference for the Gophers this year.

Rudock and Wiegers were able to graduate transfer to Michigan and Eastern Michigan because they were not on the schedule the next year, but had restrictions on those teams on the 2018 schedule. Sux, because these graduates fulfilled their commitments and should have been able to go without restriction. Hey, Rudock, Wiegers, Boyle - post your Iowa release letters on here!

Coaches can still restrict transfers within their league by leveraging the conference restriction loophole. https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...that-ends-coaches-ability-to-block-transfers/

Is there information on how he tore it? Dual threat, Martinez style quarterbacks are always at higher risk.

Many people on these boards were clamoring for him to play. Many on these boards don't think Martinez will make it through the season.

Is there information on how he tore it? Dual threat, Martinez style quarterbacks are always at higher risk.

Many people on these boards were clamoring for him to play. Many on these boards don't think Martinez will make it through the season.

Game story linked in the tweet.

Boyle and Kerlegrand were injured on ISU’s first series after Mekhi Ware recovered an EIU fumble on the second play of the game. Boyle was injured on a designed run with ISU inside the EIU 10-yard line. He came down backwards on his shoulders, but it was the knee that ailed ISU’s starting quarterback. Boyle was requested for comment after the game, but he was not made available to the media. The severity of his injury was not known.

Game story linked in the tweet.

Boyle and Kerlegrand were injured on ISU’s first series after Mekhi Ware recovered an EIU fumble on the second play of the game. Boyle was injured on a designed run with ISU inside the EIU 10-yard line. He came down backwards on his shoulders, but it was the knee that ailed ISU’s starting quarterback. Boyle was requested for comment after the game, but he was not made available to the media. The severity of his injury was not known.

Very unfortunate! It brings back memories of Wisconsin 1984 when Ronnie Harmon broke his leg and Chuck Long injured his knee in the same series. Harmon was lost for the season. Long was originally feared lost for the season, then when it was determined that he wasn't it allowed Hayden to play the situation a bit during next week's preparation for Michigan State. Mark Vlasic started, but sure enough Long came off the bench like a gunslinger when the offense was stuck in neutral. He was stopped late in the game on a controversial two point conversion call that should have been overturned.

Good for him. That's why he left. He just wanted to play. I see he's thrown 10 Tds to 1 Int... It's too bad Iowas staff didn't prefer that style over the pocket passer. I think he'd have done great for us. Can't help but watch McSorley out there and think Boyle could play like that too...

Iowa finds QB's to fit their style. Most college teams find QB's to fit their style. It usually doesn't work to completely change a team's style to fit a QB, unless is once-in-a-lifetime kind of QB. Iowa is a developmental program and they manufacture players for their positions and style of play. Iowa can't really change gears as well as a blue blood program with 4 and 5* players running around the field. Boyle is a good player but don't forget that he is undersized so there is a chance you are taking if you were to try to change a style for one player.

Are we really wondering "what if" over a guy who had only thrown 5 TDs prior to this week? I'm happy for the guy, but jeez people, he's 4-3 as a starter in I-AA.

Boyle couldn't beat out Wiegers, Stanley, Mansell, OR Petras. I get that Stanley isn't playing the best but this is dumb. As for the running element, Mansell has the exact same skill set as Boyle. We're not missing out that much.

No chit. It is true that many people always want the other player in, especially at QB. We see this with about every player that leaves Iowa and goes somewhere else. Krist, they are Div 1 players, of course they are going to have pockets of success.

It is just adds a great extra dimension to have a Banks, Tate, and even a Stanzi who could run when he needed to. It is the main thing that makes the naked bootleg work, etc

Chuck Long says wuuuut?

Chuck Long's naked bootleg worked against Mich St because it was so unexpected, not because Chuck had this blazing speed. You may see Nate run a naked bootleg this season at some point and have success. Nate is picking his spots and/or the coaches are seeing something and calling runs and they are getting yards out of Nate's legs, in perfect spots.

I thought he could have been a really good slot receiver, could he have been better than Easley I have no idea. With his physical toughness I could see him excelling at those New England Patriot type option routes.

Exactly what I envisioned would happen at Iowa. I thought he'd end up being that Wes Welker type of player that would find holes with his quickness and be a bad matchup.

Maybe bc Stanley wasn't exactly accurate last year either. I don't have enough fingers and toes to keep track of all overthrown potential TDs last year. But everybody was saying oh it's just his first year and wetting themselves over a TD statistic that nowhere near told the true story of Stanley's play. And nowhere did I suggest that Boyle should be starting. I was simply saying when your cigar store wooden Indian QB has trouble consistently completing relatively easy throws for even non collegiate ability QBs why the F aren't/weren't other guys getting looks/reps?

Ya gotta understand, there is sooo much more to the QB position than just throwing the ball. Geez, Urban Myer pointed that out last week. Maybe Boyle wasn't grasping it as well as Nate. I dunno.

This is a lazy post. It only takes a couple key strokes to see that it hasn't been just one game for Boyle. In fact, he has been Missouri Valley player of the week 4 times and national player of the week this week.

Cut and paste the stats and you'd get what some of your fellow Hawkeyes already know...

PASSING
Boyle: 166/107 (64%), 10TD, 1 INT, 1392 Yds, PE153.6. Played 8 games

Wiegers: 215/143 (67%), 11 TDs, 2 Int, 1619 YDs, PE144.8. Played 10 games

Stanley: 276/158 (57%),17TDs, 8Int, 2039Yds, PE133.8. Played 9 games

RUSHING
Boyle: 91 Carries, 558 Net (6.13/Carry), 5TD
Wiegers: 56 Carries, 36 Net (0.64/Carry) 1 TD
Stanley: 36 Carries, Net 4 (0.17/Carry), 1 TD

TOTAL OFFENSE
Boyle: 1950 Yards (244/game)
Wiegers: 1655 Yds (166/game)
Stanley: 2043 Yds (227/game)

Not that you all care what I think, but your team would be so much better with an accurate, playmaker with some mobility. Think David Blough. Trace McSorley. Just because you run a "Pro-Style" offense, doesn't mean you have to have a tall, pudgy, statue of a QB.

All that said, I wish Minnesota had gotten a shot to get Boyle or Wiegers as graduate transfers. I heard we were interested, but Ferentz blocked Boyle and Wiegers from grad transferring anywhere in the Big10 or on Iowa's schedule. That's no player's coach!

Do you have proof of this? This doesn't sound like Ferentz at all. He's all for putting transferring players in the best position to succeed. If this is the case, then freaking explain why the hell he let Rudock transfer to Michigan. Freaking Michigan, not Minnesota or Indiana. Michigan. Also, if that was Ferentz's style to block transfers, why would a coach let Martin transfer to Iowa.

Just doesn't add up.

6-2 215lb isn't good size? I seem to recall the kid was freakishly strong for his size as well. So Nate actually completes throws he should make in games in practice? Maybe the staff should consider guys who are gamers bc no matter how well Stanley is practicing it's not translating to when it counts. Seem of our best players throughout the years were not necessarily practice all stars.

He was never 6' 2". It is well known that the height stats were inflated a bit in the program on on the roster site.

This is why KF does not go this route. KF believes in keeping the QB upright and NOT taking hits, ala NFL. You usually have a great stout O-line at Iowa, why would you not go pro-style.

Chuck Long says wuuuut?

Chuck Long's naked bootleg worked against Mich St because it was so unexpected, not because Chuck had this blazing speed. You may see Nate run a naked bootleg this season at some point and have success. Nate is picking his spots and/or the coaches are seeing something and calling runs and they are getting yards out of Nate's legs, in perfect spots.
The Chuck Long bootleg play was perfectly executed in addition to being unexpected. First off, Harmon sold that he had the ball. He didn't make a half hearted dive into the line, he went in like a man fighting for the goal line, or at least a first down. Mike Flagg, who was option two on the play, had to hold his block long enough to not let the contain man get to the edge and force Long sideways. Chuck had to turn his back completely to the defense for what had to seem like an eternity. Finally the blocking back, either Fred Bush or Rick Bayless, had to take out the weak side linebacker, the one in best position to read the play. He did read the play but get his legs taken out just enough where he couldn't reach Long.

Flagg was open at the goal line if needed. But the play was executed so well that Long was able to walk right in, holding the ball high over his head.

Footnote: Many people believe that ended the game, like Houghtlin's final play field goal a couple weeks later would. It didn't. There were still thirty seconds left. Michigan State quickly completed a couple passes and were around Iowa's 40 yard line with a decent shot at a hail Mary (a better chance than Drew Tate vs LSU anyway). Devon Mitchell batted Bobby McAlister's final pass away in the end zone, but even then Mark Ingram almost caught the ricochet.

Anyone know which knee Boyle injured? I wonder if it's the same knee he hurt in HS. IIRC, he tore up one of his knees when he was in 10th or 11th grade, and without him, Dowling lost in the playoffs that year. I believe they haven't lost a playoff game since, winning 6 or so straight 4A state titles.

The Chuck Long bootleg play was perfectly executed in addition to being unexpected. First off, Harmon sold that he had the ball. He didn't make a half hearted dive into the line, he went in like a man fighting for the goal line, or at least a first down. Mike Flagg, who was option two on the play, had to hold his block long enough to not let the contain man get to the edge and force Long sideways. Chuck had to turn his back completely to the defense for what had to seem like an eternity. Finally the blocking back, either Fred Bush or Rick Bayless, had to take out the weak side linebacker, the one in best position to read the play. He did read the play but get his legs taken out just enough where he couldn't reach Long.

Flagg was open at the goal line if needed. But the play was executed so well that Long was able to walk right in, holding the ball high over his head.

Footnote: Many people believe that ended the game, like Houghtlin's final play field goal a couple weeks later would. It didn't. There were still thirty seconds left. Michigan State quickly completed a couple passes and were around Iowa's 40 yard line with a decent shot at a hail Mary (a better chance than Drew Tate vs LSU anyway). Devon Mitchell batted Bobby McAlister's final pass away in the end zone, but even then Mark Ingram almost caught the ricochet.

Actually I listened to Chuck Long tell the story about this play once on the radio. Ronnie Harmon thought he was going to get the ball. Chuck called an inside run play but Hayden actually instructed Chuck to pull the ball back and run a naked bootleg. Hayden's thought was that he wanted it to be so real looking that Chuck would just pull the ball out before Harmon got it even faking Harmon.

Latest posts