Ryan Boyle

Maybe because people can’t see the future? Why would Stanley not have kept the starting job going into this season? It’s kind of ridiculous to point to one good game Boyle had against some bad 1AA team and claim that the coaches were idiots for not giving him a shot. Not to mention we have a mobile QB in Mansel. FFS people.

This is a lazy post. It only takes a couple key strokes to see that it hasn't been just one game for Boyle. In fact, he has been Missouri Valley player of the week 4 times and national player of the week this week.

Cut and paste the stats and you'd get what some of your fellow Hawkeyes already know...

PASSING
Boyle: 166/107 (64%), 10TD, 1 INT, 1392 Yds, PE153.6. Played 8 games

Wiegers: 215/143 (67%), 11 TDs, 2 Int, 1619 YDs, PE144.8. Played 10 games

Stanley: 276/158 (57%),17TDs, 8Int, 2039Yds, PE133.8. Played 9 games

RUSHING
Boyle: 91 Carries, 558 Net (6.13/Carry), 5TD
Wiegers: 56 Carries, 36 Net (0.64/Carry) 1 TD
Stanley: 36 Carries, Net 4 (0.17/Carry), 1 TD

TOTAL OFFENSE
Boyle: 1950 Yards (244/game)
Wiegers: 1655 Yds (166/game)
Stanley: 2043 Yds (227/game)

Not that you all care what I think, but your team would be so much better with an accurate, playmaker with some mobility. Think David Blough. Trace McSorley. Just because you run a "Pro-Style" offense, doesn't mean you have to have a tall, pudgy, statue of a QB.

All that said, I wish Minnesota had gotten a shot to get Boyle or Wiegers as graduate transfers. I heard we were interested, but Ferentz blocked Boyle and Wiegers from grad transferring anywhere in the Big10 or on Iowa's schedule. That's no player's coach!

All that said, I wish Minnesota had gotten a shot to get Boyle or Wiegers as graduate transfers. I heard we were interested, but Ferentz blocked Boyle and Wiegers from grad transferring anywhere in the Big10 or on Iowa's schedule. That's no player's coach!

Of course he's going to block transfers to competing teams. He owes that to the rest of the team that stay. Any coach worth his salt would block transfers to competing teams.

This is a lazy post. It only takes a couple key strokes to see that it hasn't been just one game for Boyle. In fact, he has been Missouri Valley player of the week 4 times and national player of the week this week.

Cut and paste the stats and you'd get what some of your fellow Hawkeyes already know...

PASSING
Boyle: 166/107 (64%), 10TD, 1 INT, 1392 Yds, PE153.6. Played 8 games

Wiegers: 215/143 (67%), 11 TDs, 2 Int, 1619 YDs, PE144.8. Played 10 games

Stanley: 276/158 (57%),17TDs, 8Int, 2039Yds, PE133.8. Played 9 games

RUSHING
Boyle: 91 Carries, 558 Net (6.13/Carry), 5TD
Wiegers: 56 Carries, 36 Net (0.64/Carry) 1 TD
Stanley: 36 Carries, Net 4 (0.17/Carry), 1 TD

TOTAL OFFENSE
Boyle: 1950 Yards (244/game)
Wiegers: 1655 Yds (166/game)
Stanley: 2043 Yds (227/game)

Not that you all care what I think, but your team would be so much better with an accurate, playmaker with some mobility. Think David Blough. Trace McSorley. Just because you run a "Pro-Style" offense, doesn't mean you have to have a tall, pudgy, statue of a QB.

He had thrown 5 TD's in 7 games before this past game so no, he hasn't been very good outside of that one game.

Furthermore, he hasn't been Missouri Valley Player of the Week 4 times. He's been Missouri Valley Newcomer of the Week 4 times. That's a fairly big difference.

You're also comparing Stanley who is playing against P5 competition to Wiegers who is playing against MAC competition to Boyle who is playing against FCS competition. It's not apples to apples, but then again you're a Gopher fan so intelligence isn't something I would expect.

Last edited:
That type of inflexibility is why KFs best years are long behind him. What good is a proto pocket passer who can't even complete routine throws with any consistency? None. And that is why we lost the only real meaningful games again this season. When was the last time Stanley won a game for us? Not a game we win, but one where Nate put the team on his back and carried the team to a big win? (Please don't say Iowa State game last year)

Right. Because no head coach or offensive coordinator ever goes after the quarterback that they think will fit their system the best. They all go after the best quarterback regardless of whether he can run the kind of offense that they have been running with their current personnel. And it's so easy just to flip a switch and change from a pro-style offense to a read-option or r-p-o; teams do it all the time! (sarc)

Look at what other coaches do. Do you think Rich Rodriguez does anything differently at Arizona than he did at Michigan or at West Virginia? Same basic offensive principles, same sets, different personnel. Do you think Jim Harbaugh does anything differently at Michigan than he did at Stanford? No head coach drastically changes during their coaching career. They do what they believe in. Kirk is no different.

No coach can block a graduate transfer, and that's what Wiegers was; that's why he's playing at a D1 school (albeit non P5). And if he could block graduate transfers, how come Rudock played at Michigan as a grad transfer?

Boyle would have had to sit a year to play at a D1 school by NCAA rules as he had not yet graduated; but since Indiana St is FCS, he can play this year.

And 550yds on the ground. He's got good size too. I guess after this year I am struggling to see how a guy like Boyle didn't get a shot. No way he's any less accurate than Nate. Playbook thing? Our offense this year could've been pretty dynamic if we any threat running the ball. Especially a mobile QB.

He is not a big kid. Don't know where you are getting that from. Why doesn't every kid get "a shot"? Or do they? I think they call it practice. That is normally how this all sorts itself out.

Right. Because no head coach or offensive coordinator ever goes after the quarterback that they think will fit their system the best. They all go after the best quarterback regardless of whether he can run the kind of offense that they have been running with their current personnel. And it's so easy just to flip a switch and change from a pro-style offense to a read-option or r-p-o; teams do it all the time! (sarc)

Look at what other coaches do. Do you think Rich Rodriguez does anything differently at Arizona than he did at Michigan or at West Virginia? Same basic offensive principles, same sets, different personnel. Do you think Jim Harbaugh does anything differently at Michigan than he did at Stanford? No head coach drastically changes during their coaching career. They do what they believe in. Kirk is no different.

Pretty sure Rich Rod been gone from Arizona for a while. I know Pac-12 is the pit of obscurity, but he gone from there. believe he was doing inappropriate things to a female associate at work. Naughty naughty.

Right, bc that's exactly what I said. Bc there's no middle ground; it's either Stanley or Denard Robinson (who sadly is probably more accurate than Stanley).

He is not a big kid. Don't know where you are getting that from. Why doesn't every kid get "a shot"? Or do they? I think they call it practice. That is normally how this all sorts itself out.

6-2 215lb isn't good size? I seem to recall the kid was freakishly strong for his size as well. So Nate actually completes throws he should make in games in practice? Maybe the staff should consider guys who are gamers bc no matter how well Stanley is practicing it's not translating to when it counts. Seem of our best players throughout the years were not necessarily practice all stars.

I'd lay low if my squad just got punked 55-31 by the division punching bag and gave up god knows how many big rushing plays. But it's nice to see Lurkin carry on with that indomitable spirit! It reminds me of Charlie Brown running toward that football convinced that this is the time Lucy doesn't pull it.

Last edited:
6-2 215lb isn't good size? I seem to recall the kid was freakishly strong for his size as well. So Nate actually completes throws he should make in games in practice? Maybe the staff should consider guys who are gamers bc no matter how well Stanley is practicing it's not translating to when it counts. Seem of our best players throughout the years were not necessarily practice all stars.

I don't know but I have been around him up close and he was not what I would call big for a QB.

Wish we had an offense that ran RPO's and utilized a mobile quarterback. Unless you have Peyton Manning or Brady back there, not having more deception and mobility from your QB is so detrimental in today's game.

Funny, how Kirk doesn't seem to realize his best team was the year Brad Banks was QB in 2002 and had great mobility. Drew Tate's teams weren't bad either. CJ was reasonably mobile in 2015 before the groin injury and we wouldn't have won the game in Ames that year had he not been decently mobile.

The Sycamores started off the season at 2-4, then they installed Boyle as the starter and finished the season with 5 straight wins. 7-4 on the season 5-3 in conference. He woulda been a good situational QB for Iowa. Someone to get inside the heads of opposing OCs.

The Sycamores started off the season at 2-4, then they installed Boyle as the starter and finished the season with 5 straight wins. 7-4 on the season 5-3 in conference. He woulda been a good situational QB for Iowa. Someone to get inside the heads of opposing OCs.
Then BF would have to figure out two sets of plays for different style QBs, that won't have a happy ending for the officials.

Latest posts