Ryan Boyle Leaving Hawkeyes

RobHowe

Administrator
UI Release:

IOWA CITY, Iowa - - University of Iowa football student-athlete Ryan Boyle will earn his bachelor’s degree in May and transfer from the Hawkeye program. The announcement was made Friday by head football coach Kirk Ferentz.

“Ryan is a hard worker, a good teammate, and a good student," said Ferentz. "We wish Ryan academic and athletic success in the future."

Boyle is a native of West Des Moines, Iowa, and a graduate of Dowling Catholic High School. He played both quarterback and wide receiver during his Iowa career.

Continually amazed how many dual-threat QBs come to Iowa. How long do you think Mansell lasts?

The result of underclassmen leapfrogging the uppers.. We can't be surprised it pretty much crystalizes what we thought was going to play out for the most part. Wonder where he'll end up.

Continually amazed how many dual-threat QBs come to Iowa. How long do you think Mansell lasts?
Don't know why they can't have at least a small set of plays for these type of guys to give opponents something else to look at, and keep them invested. Other teams do it, why can't Kirk? But it goes back to the theme of "it's not about the players, it's about the system".

Last edited:
Another guy who got a degree in 3 years? I am beginning to wonder just how hard is it to get a degree now a days. How many have done it just off the top of my head?

James Butler
Matt Quarrels
Ryan Boyle
All graduated in 3 years, I believe

Boyle is going to do what's best for him and that's ok. Boyle not getting any action at QB isn't surprising. I am a little surprised though that he didn't get any run at WR though.

Another guy who got a degree in 3 years? I am beginning to wonder just how hard is it to get a degree now a days. How many have done it just off the top of my head?

James Butler
Matt Quarrels
Ryan Boyle
All graduated in 3 years, I believe

A lot of these guys probably pick up 1-2 classes in the Summer. If they're doing that on top of 15-16 hours during the Fall and Spring semesters, then it's not too tough. Also, keep in mind that a lot of kids enroll with some college credits already to their name. I had 6 hours already going into college and I'm a dummie. ;)

I can't blame him one bit for leaving for playing time elsewhere. He's a competitor. I do wish he would have stayed at WR though. But that's just me being selfish. Good luck to Ryan in wherever he ends up.

A lot of these guys probably pick up 1-2 classes in the Summer. If they're doing that on top of 15-16 hours during the Fall and Spring semesters, then it's not too tough. Also, keep in mind that a lot of kids enroll with some college credits already to their name. I had 6 hours already going into college and I'm a dummie. ;)
Yes, you can knock out a whole year or more now before even getting to college. Why anyone would want to fast forward through your college years is beyond me, though.

Uhhh, the average student at the U of Iowa takes just 13 credits. You think it's "not too tough" for a football player to practice every day, attend meetings every day, travel to games, and then take at least one class more than the rest of the student body does each and every semester? It's an insanely impressive feat to graduate in 3 years and play a sport. It takes at least 120 credits to graduate. Do the math.

Uhhh, the average student at the U of Iowa takes just 13 credits. You think it's "not too tough" for a football player to practice every day, attend meetings every day, travel to games, and then take at least one class more than the rest of the student body does each and every semester? It's an insanely impressive feat to graduate in 3 years and play a sport. It takes at least 120 credits to graduate. Do the math.

Jeebus man. Struck a chord I guess. Take 'er easy there, bud.

I didn't mean to infer that it was easy, but that if they really commit to their classwork and pick up a higher workload than normal, and come in with a few credits, then it's doable.

And I totally agree that it's very impressive if someone does it.

Last edited:
You mad, bro?? I wouldn’t think a lawyer would be so easily rattled.

Yes, you can knock out a whole year or more now before even getting to college. Why anyone would want to fast forward through your college years is beyond me, though.
And in Iowa college credits taken in high school are “free.”

My high school (which I graduated from 20 years ago) now pushes kids to our local community college to try and eat up as many credits as possible before they graduate.

Be interesting in how long Mansell sticks around if he gets beat out by the Petras. Like to see Petras redshirt so with the upper class men transferring Mansell is the likely #2. I got a feeling OKeefe is really gonna be working hard with Petras. His highlights look better than most college QB's.

Stanley, Mansell, and Petras at likely 1, 2, 3...ya never know how it all pans out, but I can't remember a time with that much talent/potential/Star rating in the QB depth chart....

Overall, I sure feels like recruiting is trending up. WR remains a weaker point in terms of overall proven talent, but man, if we can get back to upper their Oline and Dline play....

To be fair (and I know this was from the Hayden regime), Chuck Long was a dual-threat QB when he was recruited from Wheaton, Illinois. IMO, it's no wonder why Long was a recruiting gem for Iowa. Did he ever really have any playmaking ability with his legs? Was he injured somewhere between high school and college?

To get along in either Hayden's or KF's drop-back passing game, the QB must be able to do things other than just make plays with their legs. Someone will have to tell me the circumstances of Brad Banks becoming the starting and winning Iowa QB who went against the grain with KF. Maybe KF wasn't entrenched in his philosophy at that time, however, I assume KF has always been entrenched in his philosophy.

Boyle is going to do what's best for him and that's ok. Boyle not getting any action at QB isn't surprising. I am a little surprised though that he didn't get any run at WR though.
Probably one more thing going against Boyle in his career at Iowa. The staff wanted him to be a WR and he said nope after one season. I wonder how hard he tried to become a 'successful' WR?

There are football programs that covet a QB with, at least, as much talent in their legs as their arm or brain (if that's an issue with Boyle).

Last edited:
Probably one more thing going against Boyle in his career at Iowa. The staff wanted him to be a WR and he said nope after one season. I wonder how hard he tried to become a 'successful' WR?

There are football programs that covet a QB with, at least, as much talent in their legs as their arm or brain (if that's an issue with Boyle).
The kid is a good student anyway hence him graduating already. I can't see it being a playbook issue. Maybe just an execution thing. I don't think we saw enough of him for us to know. Unless we could see him run significant reps with the first team it's hardly fair to say it's due to X Y or Z.
There's a log jam at QB and Iowa prefers QBs that are bigger and more statuesque. I'd prefer they have some mobility to them especially within the pocket. But that's not enough for me to prefer a kid like Boyle over Stanley. Stanley has shown he has some big stones and the moment isn't too big for him out there. As good as he was at times he's clearly got more potential. Should be fun to watch him get better.

To be fair (and I know this was from the Hayden regime), Chuck Long was a dual-threat QB when he was recruited from Wheaton, Illinois. IMO, it's no wonder why Long was a recruiting gem for Iowa. Did he ever really have any playmaking ability with his legs? Was he injured somewhere between high school and college?

To get along in either Hayden's or KF's drop-back passing game, the QB must be able to do things other than just make plays with their legs. Someone will have to tell me the circumstances of Brad Banks becoming the starting and winning Iowa QB who went against the grain with KF. Maybe KF wasn't entrenched in his philosophy at that time, however, I assume KF has always been entrenched in his philosophy.
I don't think KF is opposed to a true dual threat QB. I think he prefers a QB that can make all the throws that are necessary to make his offense work.
Banks, Tate, and CJ were all mobile enough to make things happen with their feet. Heck, Jake R. was nimble enough to pick up qukte a few first downs with his feet when needed. I could be wrong, but I also remember Chandler lumbering to move the chains a few times.

The truth is we play pass first QBs. If they can move, the coaches let them. If they can really move, the coaches will call plays for them to run.

Latest posts