Ruh Roh....tailgating smack down looming

How often have you walked down Melrose and seen a drunk person? 100% of the time. Almost everyone is drinking alcohol, but isn't obnoxious. They will only crack down on the one's with no self control, i.e. stumbling around, vomiting, cursing... AKA HawkeyeShane.

Wrong, they are already being aholes. I concur with Bud2380

Every year they seem to add more and more restrictions and rules on tailgating.

Agreed. Each year they continue to make subtle little changes and say they are cracking down on all the drinking. I have been going to games for the past 10+ years and there really have not been all that many changes that have been enforced. The big one's I recall are the keg regulations (Which you can still have them at most of the houses around the stadium) and the changes of the Fieldhouse parking lot. The Fieldhouse was the biggest change and that was abruptly stopped. That place used to be a blast to tailgate in, especially when you were a student it was phenomenal.

Isn't public intoxication against the law as well? I doubt they go to the point of pulling out the blood alcohol levels, but this may be a tool for security to keep the drunk and belligerent out of the stadium.

What about those of us that are just belligerent? I'm not stoppin! It's in my nature...

Last year we had a group of about eight of us, all of us over 40 and just minding our own business, when a Barney Fife wanna be walked into our tent area and made us poor out a bottle of vodka that was sitting in a bag. I could not believe this $5.67 an hour rent-a-cop was going to make us empty our alcohol.

I am all about monitoring the unruly tailgaters. Obnoxious tailgaters are not limited to college kids. But, to sort of barge into our tailgate area when everyone was just standing around and shooting the sh*& and then to top it off, doing it with an attitude, turned our morning a little sour.

Let's hope the brains behind all of this recognize this monitoring of tailgating should not focus on ruining everyone's morning.

Here's a simple idea: enforce the law.

Underage drinking and public intox are already illegal. Don't "change the culture", don't create new committees, don't hassle law-abiding people. Just enforce the law.

Enforce the law? That's what Arizona wanted to do with illegals, and look at the mess that caused. Creating committees is a lot less controversial. I say we name a blue ribbon panel to investigate things.

Enforce the law? That's what Arizona wanted to do with illegals, and look at the mess that caused. Creating committees is a lot less controversial. I say we name a blue ribbon panel to investigate things.

Sweet! I can make some mean Apple Pie! I wonder what the prize will be?

Touché, sir.

Palpatine palpitates palpably for political parrying.

Last year we had a group of about eight of us, all of us over 40 and just minding our own business, when a Barney Fife wanna be walked into our tent area and made us poor out a bottle of vodka that was sitting in a bag. I could not believe this $5.67 an hour rent-a-cop was going to make us empty our alcohol.

I am all about monitoring the unruly tailgaters. Obnoxious tailgaters are not limited to college kids. But, to sort of barge into our tailgate area when everyone was just standing around and shooting the sh*& and then to top it off, doing it with an attitude, turned our morning a little sour.

Let's hope the brains behind all of this recognize this monitoring of tailgating should not focus on ruining everyone's morning.

DSM,

While I agree that it sucks hard liquor has been banned for a number of years and for this reason you shouldn't be surprised if you are asked to get rid of it.

I don't think what Mason said is really that big of a deal and don't think it will really hurt anybody as long as people use common sense.

Barney came by our tailgate last year and sternly ordered me to do the same with a wine bottle...poor Barney was laughed out of the lot, when I held up the "wine bottle" and asked, "You want me to pour out my olive oil? Won't that make a hellava mess?" :eek: Poor Barney never came by the rest of the day.

Trouble with her comment, IMO, is that it was vague.

Under age drinking?
Belligerent behavior on UI land?
Drunks trying to get into Kinnick?

What is the exact issue?

And while I'm on my rant....I tailgate with friends on private property....the land is owned by someone who is paid yearly fees to have people park there.

So, why do the cops come running through there all the time to see who's drinking? If it's private property, don't they have to have probable cause to just walk through?

Last edited:
The university wants all tailgating (drinking) OFF of their property. That way they can't be sued for creating an unsafe environment if/when someone gets drunk and falls off the melrose st. bridge or something. Mark it down, this is going to happen. They'll work it in slowly, like the smoking ban, but they are going to do it. Of course the people up in the box will still get to have their drinks ............

The university wants all tailgating (drinking) OFF of their property. That way they can't be sued for creating an unsafe environment if/when someone gets drunk and falls off the melrose st. bridge or something. Mark it down, this is going to happen. They'll work it in slowly, like the smoking ban, but they are going to do it. Of course the people up in the box will still get to have their drinks ............

No way. If they did that then there would be no incentive for donors to shell out big bucks for parking.

No way. If they did that then there would be no incentive for donors to shell out big bucks for parking.

I know, it sounds crazy to me too but this is what they want to do. They understand that there cannot be a sudden sea change because people would freak so that is why they will use a softer more subtle approach. Sally Mason's words were intended to sound kinda vague and none threatening, not a shot across the bow but more of a tap on the shoulder.

I would also point out that it is not just what she said but where she said it, Iowa Public Radio. Does anyone think that she is talking to the under 21 crowd on IPR?

Last edited:
Barney came by our tailgate last year and sternly ordered me to do the same with a wine bottle...poor Barney was laughed out of the lot, when I held up the "wine bottle" and asked, "You want me to pour out my olive oil? Won't that make a hellava mess?" :eek: Poor Barney never came by the rest of the day.

Wine isn't allowed? Never had any problems with a box of wine. We've had to pour out liquor before. Wasn't mad about it, we knew the rules. We just keep it out of sight now, as long as it is out of sight nobody cares. Bloody Mary's still have their place in the wee morning hours. Just keep the liquor in the trunk of the car or cooler.

Latest posts