Ruh Roh....tailgating smack down looming

Wine isn't allowed? Never had any problems with a box of wine. We've had to pour out liquor before. Wasn't mad about it, we knew the rules. We just keep it out of sight now, as long as it is out of sight nobody cares. Bloody Mary's still have their place in the wee morning hours. Just keep the liquor in the trunk of the car or cooler.

See...this is what I don't get. "Out of sight"....why is that so important to the UI officials? The fact is the alcohol is still being consumed.

It's like how many parents during the generation when I was a kid talked about sex to their kids....they didn't. Out of sight, out of mind? Ignore it and it's not happening? Are you kidding?

This makes me wonder what the ISUx president is advocating....

See...this is what I don't get. "Out of sight"....why is that so important to the UI officials? The fact is the alcohol is still being consumed.

They can't tell you to get rid of it if they don't see it. Otherwise they would have to search a tailgate. I would assume they don't want people taking shots or pulls from a bottle. That is where a lot of people go from 0 to 60 in no seconds, and don't know how they got there.

I still think this is much to do about nothing. They aren't going to kill drinking during game days. I think they are just going to crack down on the overly drunk people.

I still think this is much to do about nothing. They aren't going to kill drinking during game days. I think they are just going to crack down on the overly drunk people.

With due all respect, I'm not buying this.

What if a person is loud by nature? Are the Rent-A-Cops (RAPs) going to have probable cause to arrest you?

Are they going to tell you to turn down the music?

What about the ones who are really drunk but really quiet....they end up staggering and puking too, but they're not loud about it.

This is a black hole...and...the rules/laws already exist.

With due all respect, I'm not buying this.

What if a person is loud by nature? Are the Rent-A-Cops (RAPs) going to have probable cause to arrest you?

Are they going to tell you to turn down the music?

What about the ones who are really drunk but really quiet....they end up staggering and puking too, but they're not loud about it.

This is a black hole...and...the rules/laws already exist.

I'm not saying I agree with it or not, I'm saying that overall I don't think you're going to see any big changes unless you're one of those guys that stumbles around causing problems, or you're under 21. September 4th is going to roll around and people are going to be tailgating at 5:30 in the morning as usual and as usual you will still hear the sound beer cans cracking open. Everybody just needs to relax...

I'm not saying I agree with it or not, I'm saying that overall I don't think you're going to see any big changes unless you're one of those guys that stumbles around causing problems, or you're under 21. September 4th is going to roll around and people are going to be tailgating at 5:30 in the morning as usual and as usual you will still hear the sound beer cans cracking open. Everybody just needs to relax...

Oh I agree that everything will be the same come sept. 4th, what I'm talking about is 5-10 years down the road. Remember they are looking to "change the culture".

062107mason.jpg

Dunno about her being gone quickly...Some past presidents servedlong terms...

Virgil Melvin Hancher, 1940–64

Howard Rothmann Bowen, 1964–69

Willard L. Boyd., 1969–81

Acting President: Duane C. Spriestersbach, 1981–82

James O. Freedman, 1982–1987

Acting President: Richard D. Remington, 1987–1988

Hunter R. Rawlings III, 1988–1995

Acting President: Peter E. Nathan, 1995

Mary Sue Coleman, 1995–2002

Interim President: Willard L. Boyd, 2002

David J. Skorton, 2003–2006

Gary Fethke, 2006–2007

Sally Mason, 2007-

Last edited:
Here seems to be an update from the Daily Iowan on 07/07/10...

Q&A: Mason discusses 21 ordinance campaign, incoming freshmen class - The Daily Iowan

Here is one of the direct quotes regarding tailgating...

"DI: Rumor is there will be an increase in monitoring tailgating. Is that something that is in the plans for next year?

Mason: Yes, it is. And again, it comes back to some of the same kinds of things that the 21-only ordinance is trying to deal with, and that is making certain that we have a healthy and safe environment. By and large, 98 percent of the people who come to the university on football weekends to tailgate come and have a great time. They party, they enjoy themselves, they don’t hurt themselves, they don’t hurt others. But there’s a small percentage that can create quite a ruckus, and that’s really where the focus is likely to be, is making certain that some of the unsafe behaviors are mitigated and sending the same kind of message that we are — folks, let’s obey the law, and let’s be safe and healthy while we’re enjoying ourselves at these great events. Our football weekends are certainly tremendous events for everybody."

You can read the full article and it explains a little more into what they are looking at, including creating more alcohol free events for the students. As for us normal tailgating folk, as per her quote above the focus isn't on us, it's that 2% that create problems. I look for maybe more crack downs on drinking games and stuff like that.

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Kegs,
and I didn't speak up because I drank my beer from a can.

THEN THEY CAME for the Field House Parking lot,
and I didn't speak up because I tailgated next to the stadium.

THEN THEY CAME for the Smokes,
and I didn't speak up because I don't smoke.

THEN THEY CAME for the Drinking Games,
and I didn't speak up because I liked to grill and listen to music.

THEN THEY CAME for me and my beer,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Of course kickoff was like 5 minutes, dang I need to quit drinking so much beer before the game"

I drink at games....now Seth be nice. I get inebriated but I never do stupid things like getting rowdy during games, etc. If I have to take a breath test to get in then everyone who tailgates at 1212 Melrose is going to be in trouble...and the hammer will get lonely.

Latest posts