Ross P to Alabama - For Real

This is just college football. You have to be relentless on the recruiting trail. That is who Saban is. Committed players only matter to the top 10 programs in the country. Meaning, most committed players aren't switching from a top 10 program...unless its to another top 10 program. Everybody else's committed list is up for grabs. It's just another reason I dislike college football more every year. And it's not poor Iowa. KF has done the same thing. It's just a complete free-for-all.

I'm not a big fan of his or Alabama, but as for Saban, he IS at the top of the mountain. Yes he gets the best players, but that is because he is the best recruiter. He's the best motivator in the game. Psychologically, his team is on a different level than anybody else in the country. Google Kevin Elko. Saban's teams are a step ahead mentally. And his team executes at the highest level in college football. His game plans are second to none. Now, are all these things easier to do with the talent he has? Sure. But Saban is unmatched in college football right now.

Add to Saban one of the best traditions in college football, and that is why Ross P is heading to Tuscaloosa.

I agree, I am sure if Ross P. was fully committed to Iowa when Nick Saban and Alabama came calling he would have said "not interested" and they would have left him alone. Just like KF has said in the past, he only recruits committed players of other schools if they wish to be. If a player tells him or his staff that they are fully committed to their school and aren't interested then Iowa stops recruiting them. Ross P. committed before he was truly committed, he said that in an interview recently. He also said in multiple interviews he said that Alabama did not talk trash about Iowa or KF. They didn't need to do it, back to back NC's and top 5 recruiting annually and not fighting to be in the top half of their division, let alone their conference. Clearly Ross P. wants to play on the best team in the best conference against the best talent. He felt that was the best thing for him and his family. However, I don't believe that Iowa's 4-8 record caused him to re-think his decision because they had been 4-8 for a few months by the time he had committed. Besides, even if Iowa went 6-6 or even 9-3 last season, they will NEVER be Alabama for many reasons.

Disagree. His offer should be "gone" under any/all circumstances. Injury, transfer, etc. He made his choice. We need to move on and find someone willing to work from Day One.

Only saving grace is RP made his choice now rather than later.

All due respect, this is stupid.

If Ross wants to sign on the dotted line for the Hawks in early February then you take him. Maybe Iowa goes 7-5 or 8-4 this year and the program gains some momentum and he wants to be a part of it. You dont turn kids away with Ross' talent that want to come to Iowa just because you may have been a little butthurt in August.

No, I am sure a guy who couldn't handle the recruiting process (Committed and decommitted from Iowa three times? Really?!?) is more than strong enough mentally to handle the pressure and expectations of playing at Alabama. Alabama is a place where not only the fans, but even the coaches see you as a piece of meat; A cog in the machine that can be replaced and disposed of the second you're no longer needed.

I don't blame him for what he did, I thank him. We stepped around a HUGE landmine here.

Well, our coaches recruited him, so I'm pretty sure they would disagree with you on that one.

Would be a loss for any program but especially one that's finding good news hard to come by in recent years........not to speak of the fact he's located in your own backyard.

Nothing is final until 2/5/2014.

I am not. Again, my whole thing here is why go to Bama where you'll be just another good O-lineman when you can go to Iowa and be a huge star.

The same reason LeBron and Bosh joined Miami. The same reason Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Syracuse can easily replace 5-stars with 5 more stars a year later. The high-end college recruits and pro-sports stars these days don't seem as interested in building something from scratch. Instead, joining a top team is the easiest and fastest way to be part of a winner, even though the irony is they're going to a place where a rich history may exist but they had no part of building themselves.

Me personally, I'd want to go to a place where you can say you were part of the building process or you had a hand in the turnaround, a place where you could be one of the first bricks laid and not just another brick in a foundation someone else already built. Maybe its always been that way, but Ive noticed it happening a lot more in the past 15 years. I wouldn't blame RP because he's just following a sports culture he's grown up knowing.

Solid move for the kid. Make no mistake however. This is an indictment on the program and coaching staff. This kid wasn't a WR, he's an OL. This is the kind of top recruit Iowa should no question be able to keep at home regardless of who offers. 4-8, nuff said.

Shocking that a 17 year old kid could waiver on a commitment and then change his mind. Best of luck to him. Hope he does well there and has no regrets.

For the posters that are attacking his character, I suggest you stop. I'm certain you have made some decisions in your life that we unpopular with others and may have to again in the future.

Solid move for the kid. Make no mistake however. This is an indictment on the program and coaching staff. This kid wasn't a WR, he's an OL. This is the kind of top recruit Iowa should no question be able to keep at home regardless of who offers. 4-8, nuff said.

A very good observation. A lot of time left until signing day. The way this guy flips around he may still end up at Iowa.

The same reason LeBron and Bosh joined Miami. The same reason Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Syracuse can easily replace 5-stars with 5 more stars a year later. The high-end college recruits and pro-sports stars these days don't seem as interested in building something from scratch. Instead, joining a top team is the easiest and fastest way to be part of a winner, even though the irony is they're going to a place where a rich history may exist but they had no part of building themselves.

Me personally, I'd want to go to a place where you can say you were part of the building process or you had a hand in the turnaround, a place where you could be one of the first bricks laid and not just another brick in a foundation someone else already built. Maybe its always been that way, but Ive noticed it happening a lot more in the past 15 years. I wouldn't blame RP because he's just following a sports culture he's grown up knowing.

Good points. I'm not blaming him at all. Just would think it would be a better move for him to go to a school that is not talent rich. That way he'd stand out to the NFL scouts better than he would at Bama. Heck, he may not even start at Bama.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why are you assuming Ross P would have played tackle?

He is listed at a guard and has a guard's size, was there any mention at all of Iowa having plans of shifting him to LT?

Based on what I read, he has the footwork and the athleticism to play LT........I have never seen the kid play in person and i do not know what iowa's plan were for him.....that is what is floating out there.

I am not. Again, my whole thing here is why go to Bama where you'll be just another good O-lineman when you can go to Iowa and be a huge star.

Two words: Big Stage
Two more words: National Championship

He'll have a shot at the NFL either way. The "we put guys in the NFL" line is getting old. If you're good enough, they'll find you. Look at some of the guys coming out of "lesser known" programs that end up on an NFL roster.

I don't blame the kid.

It's a bummer, you always want a highly recruited in-state kid. Would love to have had him in black and gold. That said, I understand why he decided what he decided.

It is funny to see people 1) surprised 2) soooo upset about a player that wouldn't see the field likely until 2015-16.

relax folks, if there is ONE position we can actually afford a recruiting loss...it's Oline.

Yes, to think the struggles didn't play at least a factor in the flip is crazy....No....this isn't and indictment

But yet there are folks that still think we should be taking top prospects from OTHER states......no per history...or logic.

roll%2Btide.jpg