Rodney Coe is 6'3" 300lbs

If I'm not mistaken Davis came in with a world of potential and has been nothing but a huge disappointment up to this point. From reports I've heard he's had a great off-season and Hawkeye fans are hopeful he has turned the corner. Correct me if I'm wrong. He's had horrible pad level his first couple of years and has struggled to stay on the field. I remember watching Hawk games and seeing him get absolutely blown off the ball by much smaller centers. On top of all of this he has been injury prone. For the Hawks sake I do indeed hope he turns the corner but to say he is undoubtedly a better player than Coe is ridiculous. You then go on to talk about how Coe would never see the field over these Iowa four stars that are a year younger than Coe. Just an FYI Coe is a year older, was also a four-star ATHLETE and had far more impressive offers. The guy was recruited to Iowa to play running back he's a ridiculous athlete. Your logic is out there to say the least.

Davis is EXACTLY the reason I KNOW Coe will struggle. Both big kids, but there is much more to the DL than being big. Davis had an advantage of playing DL all through HS, and then practicing for 3 years now at a D1 school under good DL coaches, and had Doyle in the off season, and yet he still struggled to meet his potential his first 2 years. Hopefully he will break out now, but it isn't guaranteed. Plus Coe has sh1tty offers....only ISU and South Florida. This isn't 2011 dude, he is a 2013 JUCO recruit, all those schools passed on him as a DLman. They all wanted the 2011 Coe, NOT the 2013 Coe.

If you think it is easy to stroll into a D1 school, and all of a sudden be a good DLman when you haven't proven anything at that position in HS, or at the JUCO level, then you are a bigger fool than I even imagined you were......and I think you are a HUGE FREAKING FOOL already. If he will be soooooo good on the DL, why was he so crappy at it at the JUCO school?

Here is what it is really like on the DL, and this is exactly why Coe won't be that good this year........
http://thegazette.com/2013/08/11/no-14-dt-carl-davis/

Most people realize until you have seen the field and proven it, predicting anything (even from a 4* kid) is foolish. "Johnson hasn’t played a down. So, for now, it’s 620 pounds (both are listed 310 in the media guide) of DT potential."

Last edited:
I was thinking about this and I think its clear that because Rodney Coe used to be committed to the Hawkeye's that it should be clear that the University of Iowa can claim partial credit for any accomplishments after leaving Iowa. We should wish him all the success and hope that he fulfills his potential, and recognize that his accomplishments are also Iowa's by some weird right from when he signed a letter of intent. Any all-conference honors or an nfl draft selection should be recorded as an Iowa Hawkeye first and some other team second. Best of luck to you Rodney Coe.

Seriously dude?....... someone needs to take your keyboard away and beat you with it.

Davis is EXACTLY the reason I KNOW Coe will struggle. Both big kids, but there is much more to the DL than being big. Davis had an advantage of playing DL all through HS, and then practicing for 3 years now at a D1 school under good DL coaches, and had Doyle in the off season, and yet he still struggled to meet his potential his first 2 years. Hopefully he will break out now, but it isn't guaranteed. Plus Coe has sh1tty offers....only ISU and South Florida. This isn't 2011 dude, he is a 2013 JUCO recruit, all those schools passed on him as a DLman. They all wanted the 2011 Coe, NOT the 2013 Coe.

If you think it is easy to stroll into a D1 school, and all of a sudden be a good DLman when you haven't proven anything at that position in HS, or at the JUCO level, then you are a bigger fool than I even imagined you were......and I think you are a HUGE FREAKING FOOL already. If he will be soooooo good on the DL, why was he so crappy at it at the JUCO school?

Here is what it is really like on the DL, and this is exactly why Coe won't be that good this year........
No. 14 — DT Carl Davis | TheGazette

Most people realize until you have seen the field and proven it, predicting anything (even from a 4* kid) is foolish. "Johnson hasn’t played a down. So, for now, it’s 620 pounds (both are listed 310 in the media guide) of DT potential."

I think the following quotes from the article you posted are key when comparing Carl Davis to Coe:

Ferentz - “He clearly has taken steps this spring. He’s a big guy who’s capable. He’s got a great attitude. He’s starting to develop the confidence it takes to play successfully. There’s nobody to hand a player that. They’ve got to go out and earn that.â€

Reese Morgan - “and I tell you what’s really nice is, he’s really buying into things. He’s working harder."

Now let's look at the article posted about Coe in the same newspaper and read into some coach's comments: The metamorphosis of Rodney Coe | TheGazette

Burnham - “I told Rodney, ‘You’re going to play this year,’†Burnham said. “‘Whether you play 20-30 snaps and you’re out there playing, or whether you play 20-30 snaps and you’re out there being productive‘ — that’s up to him and me. But I’m excited.â€

Burnham - “Really rawâ€

It's an attitude thing. Coe has the ability I don't think anyone is questioning that. Does he have the right mentality it takes to be a productive defensive lineman or is he a defensive lineman still stuck with a running back's mentality? I would argue that aside from wide receivers, running backs are probably the biggest "me" guys on the field. I know it took Coe awhile to get used to the idea of being moved to the defensive line. The reason Coe chose Iowa originally was because he wanted to be a running back. You can't have a "me" mentality as a defensive lineman. It won't work. You have to get after it every single play knowing that even if you do your job well there's a damn good chance you aren't going to be the one making the play. It's all about attitude and mental approach.

If you notice the comment Burnham made about one of the guys listed in front of Coe on the depth chart I think it's telling:

Burnham - "He’s got that nasty side I kind of always talk about,†Burnham said of Jensen

You can have all the potential in the world and not amount to crap if you don't have the right attitude. It is my opinion that this is the primary reason so many schools backed away from recruiting Coe. He didn't accomplish much in his two years at IWCC. Coaches rarely speak negatively of players, but I have a feeling behind closed doors the IWCC coaching staff was honest about how they felt regarding Coe's attitude. That's why so many schools were turned away. There isn't any other way to explain so many schools backing off of his recruitment.

All of you Cyclone fans keep talking about his potential, but you keep avoiding this point. None of you will even approach it. How do you explain so many schools backing away? There had to have been a red flag of some sort.

Iowa State had a former dl come from juco late, practice had already started, he switched from oline, and is now in the nfl. Again I don't expect that from Coe but its not impossible.

And Iowa State had McDonough last year who was clearly the best lineman in the team and he rotated out a lot. Iowa State rotates guys on the line to keep them fresh regardless of their ability relative to the others.

As far as other schools backing off goes, he is a juco kid and elite schools only look at them if they are truly phenomenal prospects. Coe is not that so they didn't.

Iowa State had a former dl come from juco late, practice had already started, he switched from oline, and is now in the nfl. Again I don't expect that from Coe but its not impossible.

And Iowa State had McDonough last year who was clearly the best lineman in the team and he rotated out a lot. Iowa State rotates guys on the line to keep them fresh regardless of their ability relative to the others.

As far as other schools backing off goes, he is a juco kid and elite schools only look at them if they are truly phenomenal prospects. Coe is not that so they didn't.

So you are saying Iowa is an elite school?

This is funny. First of all, Iowa is not an elite school. In my opinion there is 10 or less elite schools in the country. Out of those schools maybe the top 5 wouldn't consider looking at JUCO's unless they were phenomenal prospects. Outside of that your argument is ridiculous. Almost all schools will consider JUCO transfers if they are at a position of need for the program. Rodney Coe was a very highly recruited player out of high school. You can not seriously tell me he just simply fell off the radar. A 4 star kid with his body and athleticism doesn't fall off the radar.

According to 247 sports, out of high school these were the programs who made an offer to Coe:

Iowa - Not elite
Kansas - Not elite
Illinois - Not elite
Alabama - As elite as it gets
Arkansas - Not elite
Auburn - Not elite
Florida - Elite
Kansas State - Not elite
Notre Dame - Elite
Oregon - Elite
USC - Not elite anymore

So four of his 11 original offers are what I would consider elite schools. As far as I know, zero of those schools showed interest in Coe as a JUCO. Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Auburn, KSU, USC, and Arkansas all would have been interested if he had made the most out of his experience at IWCC. You think they just forgot about him? Maybe the schools that are located a long ways from Iowa did forget about him (USC, Auburn, and Arkansas). However, there's zero chance KU, KSU, Illinois, and Iowa simply forgot about him. Something, somewhere, went wrong.

Last edited:
Keep telling yourself that Bryce. The DL won't be bad (not great either) this year at Iowa, and will be a strength in 2014. ISU line is gonna be a disaster this year, I think even most ISU fans realize this. They will be the 2012 Iowa line basically.....horrible.

Coe wouldn't start over TP or Davis, and Coe doesn't have the top end talent of Jaleel or Cooper (TP and Davis backups). As a DL, Coe wouldn't crack the 2 deeps at Iowa. They were all 4* recruits, but Cooper and Jaleel were 4* DLman, whereas Coe was a 4* RB.

Vogs, you up to losing more $$$ this year? I know a bit more about ISU`s lines, and we will be better this year than we were last year.

Vogs, you up to losing more $$$ this year? I know a bit more about ISU`s lines, and we will be better this year than we were last year.
Instead of betting with everyone shouldn't isu fans be donating to the AD dept? You know since you are bottom of the barrel money wise.

Dont worry when Coe is a first round pic and you make a bcs game donations will roll in.

You think Coe is gonna be drafted when he is done at ISU? If so, it is nice of you to give my money back from last year. Overall maybe the line will be better than I think, I'm not willing to bet on that. I just happen to know enough about Coe and what the coaches concerns are to bet on his performance.

You think Coe is gonna be drafted when he is done at ISU? If so, it is nice of you to give my money back from last year. Overall maybe the line will be better than I think, I'm not willing to bet on that. I just happen to know enough about Coe and what the coaches concerns are to bet on his performance.

Just heard from a reliable source in Story City that Coe is better than Suh was at Nebraska.

No. 14 — DT Carl Davis | TheGazette

Yeah you're right I'm the fool. I mean if you don't grow up playing a position in HS you have zero chance of success in college. ZERO chance!

Being a Hawkeye fan you of all people should know that is as false as it gets. Ignorance at it's finest. A handful of your most storied players changed positions between the prep and collegiate level. Several of them changed positions while in college.

DJK was a QB in HS. Broke pretty much every Iowa receiving record.
Marvin McNutt was a QB while in college. Converted to WR and gets drafted to NFL.
Robert Gallery was a TE while in college. Converted to Tackle ends up being #2 overall draft pick.
Chad Greenway was a QB in HS. Converts to All-American linebacker.
Dallas Clark was a HS QB. Mackey award winner in college best TE in the country.
Karl Klug converts 220 pound linebacker to DL.
Micah Hyde HS QB to All-Conference corner.

Should I go on? I mean I remember the uproar a couple years ago when Derby was going to convert from QB to LB. I mean he was going to be the next great thing! I mean he was a four-star athlete and offered by tons of SEC schools. He'll be the real deal instantly! The best defensive player in the world JJ Watt was playing TE at directional Michigan to start his college career. Yeah though I'm the fool. Pure athleticism means nothing. Give me the guy with the potential. I don't want the guy who's been playing the position his entire life and has been a complete flop 3 years into his college career.

The truth of the matter is Iowa should be excited about Cooper, Johnson, Faith and Ott. When they are upperclassman they should be great. Iowa has incredible defenses when their d-line is great. ISU fans would be pumped to have them clearly. However, if you tell me Iowa fans wouldn't be excited to see what this kind of athleticism can do at 305 well then you just don't enjoy good football. Razorback Recruit Rodney Coe Highlights - YouTube

The truth of the matter is Iowa should be excited about Cooper, Johnson, Faith and Ott. When they are upperclassman they should be great. Iowa has incredible defenses when their d-line is great. ISU fans would be pumped to have them clearly. However, if you tell me Iowa fans wouldn't be excited to see what this kind of athleticism can do at 305 well then you just don't enjoy good football. Razorback Recruit Rodney Coe Highlights - YouTube
As an isu fan I fail to see how you can have any knowledge of good football

Latest posts