RIP Jim Zabel

i realize he was up there in age, but I thought he would just keep going. It got a little frustrasting listening to him and Jon doing soundoff the last few years, but I just rolled with it because he was a legend and I had so many great memories of him on the radio that i never wanted them to switch it up or make changes.

Last edited:
I am in my early 40s. As a youth, I remember fall days of working out in the yard with my dad and listening to the Z on my dads double-wide, big box radio. I often think back to those times. Zabel was Iowa football for me growing up. I smile when I think of his voice, his biased Iowa view, his absolute complete, unbridled love for the Hawkeyes. A little part of Iowa athletics has passed on ... But, we know Jim will be upstairs hugging that radio and cheering for those Hawks. RIP Mr. Zabel ... You will be missed ...

There is a story that goes something like this. During the post game interview after the last game of the season Zabel ws interviewing Evy. Zable said, Evy we've had a wonderful time calling each game this season. Evy said, I enjoyed all 18 of them. Jim said, Evy there were only 9. Evy said, That's right Jim, there were the 9 we played and the 9 you called.

Heard the news last night. When I got into the truck this morning, this call was the first thing that I heard on the radio. Remember this game as we had to leave our house to leave for my sister's regional volleyball game. Listened to Houghtlin's kick in the car. That was a great finish called by a great Hawkeye. Gonna miss the Big Z. I Love it.....I love it......I love it....

I'm sad to hear of the passing of such a legend. Just because I am an Iowa State fan doesn't mean I can't enjoy and respect such a great human being. This is a sad day for the state of Iowa and this Cyclone fan is hugging and kissing his radio in remembrance of a fallen icon.

Someone asked who Jim Zabel was in the bar last night because he was annoyed by his facebook news feed. He was the first person I have kicked in the nuts.

To me, Jim Zabel was more than just the Iowa play-by-play guy. He brings back such good memories of listening to games with my dad and I can honestly say I remember so many of the great moments and can't really remember any of the bad. To me, it's like the day they tore down the house and leveled the farm where I grew up. So many memories of playing, climbing trees, etc. Don't remember anything bad. Zabel is sorely missed.

I'll never forget running into Z and Eddy P in 1985 at The Greenbrier in Coralville the night before the Iowa State game. RIP Jim Zabel.

Grew up in the 70's staying up late on sunday nights to watch beat the bear, a true Iowa Icon!!! Thank you Jim Zabel for teaching me how to love the Hawkeyes!

I just wish I had half the passion for my career that he brought to the booth game in and game out. Regardless of whether the Hawks were winning or losing, he loved what he did and night in and night out and it showed. He was definitely one of a kind and will be very hard to replace as a voice of the Hawkeyes. He will be missed by all. RIP.

[video=youtube;L7M85CGjegs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7M85CGjegs[/video]

Still gives me goose bumps! All I had was Z's voice to tell me what was happening. Life well lived Mr. Zabel, thanks for the memories.

I actually grew up listening to Ron Gonder on WMT, but when I moved to the Des Moines area in 1985, I quickly became a Jim Zabel fan.

Jim lived life to the fullest...he enjoyed what he did and that made us enjoy it, too.

It was truly a sad day when the University decided to put $ on a higher plane than class and forcibly fired Zabel, Brooks, Gonder et al. I grew up listening to Z and met him on several occasions and there never existed a bigger Hawkeye fan. RIP Z. You will be missed.

I'm really kind of shocked Hawkeyesports.com or the university in general hasn't released anything in regards to Jim.

There was a posts about it on the U of I official Facebook and Twitter pages last night, along with tweets by Iowa football and Iowa athletics last night. Also, the Iowa Alumni blog had a post about it this morning.

Jim Zabel Goes To Heaven - Black Heart Gold Pants

Watch out for them onions, they'll get ya.

That's a pretty frickin' cool read. I didn't have the pleasure of listening to Jim for very much of my life (I'm fairly young compared to some of you old geezers at 27, and was able to watch a lot of games on TV growing up), but I surely remember the guy and he was still a big part of my Hawkeye fandom growing up. RIP, Jim. You will be missed.

Latest posts