RIP Jim Zabel

It was truly a sad day when the University decided to put $ on a higher plane than class and forcibly fired Zabel, Brooks, Gonder et al. I grew up listening to Z and met him on several occasions and there never existed a bigger Hawkeye fan. RIP Z. You will be missed.

I had Jim Foster (arena football league founder and hired Zabel to do radio for the Barnstormers) give a guest lecture for an MBA class once back in the late 90s - he was discussing how he came up with the arena league idea, etc. Anyway, I asked him about Zabel no longer doing Iowa games and why that was, and his response to me was that they (iowa) basically couldn't afford him (paraphrase) and/or come to terms with Zabel's salary. He said i matter-of-factly and I took it as the truth, and not spin of any kind.

I'm 36 and have very vivid memories of Jim Zabel. I usually watched the team on TV, but do recall camping with my Boy Scout troop and listeneing to the 1987 Iowa/Arizona game on the radio while roasting hot dogs. I also remember several games with Z on the radio when my friends and I were playing football. These usually were Iowa/Iowa State games when Iowa was winning big. ;) Then there were those trips to the Alaskan Shootout, where I'd be in bed listening to Z late at night. The 1988 tie against Michigan State was another game I remember listening to on the radio. I also checked in with Frosty Mitchell, and Bob Brooks from time to time on the dial, but Z was my favorite. Rolling into Iowa City for a football game, we always had the pre-game on and the post-game as well on the ride home.

My final big memory of Z was when he called Iowa's 1st Big Ten Tourney Championship win over Indiana. I had the game on TV and turned on the radio to hear that last posession.

Plus who can forget those great calls that live in Hawkeyes lore. 1985 against Michigan, and 1987 against Ohio State. Classic Zabel and classic Iowa wins.

RIP Z. You were a true icion and will be missed.

Last edited:
I have waited nearly a week to post about Z's passing trying to think of the right thing to say. All I can say is he will be missed. I spoke to him at the Insight Bowl in 2011. He did not look good, but once I talked to him I found his mind was still sharp. I told my wife this may be Jim's last bowl game. He lasted longer than I thought he would. I am in my 50's and though I never had more than a 3-4 minute conversation with him, I felt I really knew him. Z's passing happened the same day as the birth of my first grandchild so Z will never be forgotten on our family.

Last edited:
nc - thanks for posting that video from the service. do you know if there are more that they showed during the service on youtube? wanted to go, but wasn't able to.

Latest posts