RIP Cubs...

It was almost "better" back in the lovable losers days, when the Cubs won in '84 and '89 it was unexpected and cool...but when they started making the playoffs more often and still clubbing their fans like baby seals time after time, finding different ways to lose playoff series, it started to take a toll...but we STILL love 'em...and all of the heartache is going to pay off...

someday...

Hopefully before I'm in the grave...:(

It was almost "better" back in the lovable losers days, when the Cubs won in '84 and '89 it was unexpected and cool...but when they started making the playoffs more often and still clubbing their fans like baby seals time after time, finding different ways to lose playoff series, it started to take a toll...but we STILL love 'em...and all of the heartache is going to pay off...

someday...

Let's not forget that the Cubs have only actually been focused on being competetive and winning for a grand total of four years now. They did have some good teams in the 80's, but '89 was comparable to '98 and '07 when the team probably didn't deserve to be there.

somethin's gotta change, somethin's gotta give............this team isn't going anywhere but in the crapper.

The Cubs do not manufacture runs and that does them in. They aren't fast, they aren't powerful. They are a team of avg. speed .275 singles hitters who also don't care to take walks very often.

The month of June is going to be crucial...the NL central is going to be up for grabs, none of these teams are real strong. If they continue their crappiness, they will be pretty much out of it. If they can get things turned around, who knows. The pitching is there, it has been all season...'pen has been a lot better lately. This offense is just so anemic and inconsistent. I'm not ready to give up yet, but I'm definitely not going to hold my breath. I will continue to watch with that cubs optimism. I do know one thing, they need to start beating the teams in their division if they are going to have a chance.

somethin's gotta change, somethin's gotta give............this team isn't going anywhere but in the crapper.

That would be Lee and Ramirez pulling their heads out and starting to swing the bat. Until those two start to produce, this team won't go anywhere.

It really is that simple.

The Cubs do not manufacture runs and that does them in. They aren't fast, they aren't powerful. They are a team of avg. speed .275 singles hitters who also don't care to take walks very often.

This pretty much sums things up. We desperately need some more speed, and more consistancy from the middle of the order. Lee and ARam are killing this team right now.

Contradictory statements.

Not totally...they don't sac bunt worth a crap and they're terrible at moving runners over by hitting to the right side...then when they do (like tonight when Colvin did it) they couldn't cash it in because they don't hit for crap with runners at third and less than 2 outs...or even WITH 2 outs, for that matter.

Let's not forget that the Cubs have only actually been focused on being competetive and winning for a grand total of four years now. They did have some good teams in the 80's, but '89 was comparable to '98 and '07 when the team probably didn't deserve to be there.

True...if not for Dwight Smith and Jerome Walton having great rookie seasons (among other things) '89 wouldn't have happened.

Not totally...they don't sac bunt worth a crap and they're terrible at moving runners over by hitting to the right side...then when they do (like tonight when Colvin did it) they couldn't cash it in because they don't hit for crap with runners at third and less than 2 outs...or even WITH 2 outs, for that matter.

Right, and if the team were built that way, I would share in the concern that they're not capable of doing those things. But they're not - they're a team built around hitting the home run and driving the ball into the gap. This edition of the Cubs is not designed to be a station-to-station team.

It doesn't help that everyone in the lineup is pressing right now, either.

Right, and if the team were built that way, I would share in the concern that they're not capable of doing those things. But they're not - they're a team built around hitting the home run and driving the ball into the gap. This edition of the Cubs is not designed to be a station-to-station team.

It doesn't help that everyone in the lineup is pressing right now, either.
I agree - the entire lineup is pressing.

Remember, the Phillies just hit their 1st HR in 68 innings tonight. They were shut out for an entire series last week. They needed a perfect game to win 1-0 on Saturday to win and their only run was unearned. It happens to a great teams as well. If Lee and Ramirez can start hitting, the Cubs still have a chance to be in the NL Central race. There's always hope! :)

True...if not for Dwight Smith and Jerome Walton having great rookie seasons (among other things) '89 wouldn't have happened.

Most people don't realize that in 2007 the Cubs had the 6th best record....in the NL. If there was ever a team that got what was coming to them in the playoffs, it was that team.

I agree - the entire lineup is pressing.

Remember, the Phillies just hit their 1st HR in 68 innings tonight. They were shut out for an entire series last week. They needed a perfect game to win 1-0 on Saturday to win and their only run was unearned. It happens to a great teams as well. If Lee and Ramirez can start hitting, the Cubs still have a chance to be in the NL Central race. There's always hope! :)

I think that says a lot more about the quality of teams in the division than it does the Cubs.

Latest posts