Rest McNamara against WMU?

SCHawkeye2

He was clearly not 100% in the ISU game.
We should be able to beat WMU with our backup(s).
Saves McNamara from a full game of hits and allows for some more rehab time.
Also gives our backups some PT which could be valuable going forward.

He said yesterday that this is as healthy as he's been since the initial injury. While I think Iowa should rest him, I think he's gotta get some more reps. Ideally, he plays the first half. Iowa's offense has a lot of work to do and room to grow....playing a team where you can work some things out and get more live action before playing a team like Penn State, who likely is going to be next to impossible to move the ball on, will be beneficial for Cade IMO

Since Cade usually only does well on the first 2 drives of the game, why not just play him for the first 2 drives and then rest him the rest of the game?

Sounds like he's good to go now. He's gotten better. Play him play him play him... If we get up like 28 to 0 by halftime then sure put in Hill and or Labas to start the 2nd half but beyond something like that happening I'd like to see Cade get more reps with the receivers. This is the game for him to get into a rhythm and really see what we have.

Actually strike that with how bad Iowa's been coming out of halftime as well I think I'd like to see Cade get that first series then too. It's not just about Cade and WRs either it's about BFs play calling and game plans. So far from the 2nd quarters on we haven't been able to do much offensively. Might be nice to show that we can dent the scoreboard in the 2nd half of a game before playing PSU too

Cade missed on a couple of "could have been" scores. The offense and he need the reps...especially if we're to have a chance at Penn St. He said he's healthy. You can't play scared. Let him have success, the offense get in synch and when it becomes a blowout (and it should) play Labas or Hill

Cade missed on a couple of "could have been" scores. The offense and he need the reps...especially if we're to have a chance at Penn St. He said he's healthy. You can't play scared. Let him have success, the offense get in synch and when it becomes a blowout (and it should) play Labas or Hill
End of the day that's it...

I think you gotta play him at least a half and get a bunch more stuff on tape. I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Kurt has been playing a Hayden-esque long troll and the kid isn't even hurt and he runs a 58 yarder on the opening play against Penn State. Their d-coordinator will shit his pants if Cade breaks a run early. You know there's a few plays for him to tuck it.

I think you gotta play him at least a half and get a bunch more stuff on tape. I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Kurt has been playing a Hayden-esque long troll and the kid isn't even hurt and he runs a 58 yarder on the opening play against Penn State. Their d-coordinator will shit his pants if Cade breaks a run early. You know there's a few plays for him to tuck it.
We are Iowa fans aren't we? We aren't gonna get that lucky. Christmas only comes once a yr and I doubt it's gonna fall on 9/16 for us

He said yesterday that this is as healthy as he's been since the initial injury. While I think Iowa should rest him, I think he's gotta get some more reps. Ideally, he plays the first half. Iowa's offense has a lot of work to do and room to grow....playing a team where you can work some things out and get more live action before playing a team like Penn State, who likely is going to be next to impossible to move the ball on, will be beneficial for Cade IMO
Also, you don't need to be playing Western Michigan 17-10 going into the 3rd quarter being in reach of possibly winning. Those teams who hang around can sometimes end up biting you.

Since Cade usually only does well on the first 2 drives of the game, why not just play him for the first 2 drives and then rest him the rest of the game?

Because that is what he is used to. Part of your statement sounds like he and Iowa's O has trouble after the first two. If that's the case, they might want to work out those issues and see if they can sustain some drives and get points after. Just sayin.

I actually thought he looked pretty good. I thought he moved much better. Maybe was just me.

I actually thought he looked pretty good. I thought he moved much better. Maybe was just me.
He moved a little better than game 1.
Still tentative. Frequently back pedaled as he was throwing and threw a few off his back foot. He seemed unable (or unwilling) to roll out, bootleg or scramble out of trouble. If he is still tentative and immobile against PSU, their D will tee off and have a field day.
I think we can afford to sit him vs WMU and have him ready for PSU.

You don't rest a QB whose offense is running as unevenly as Iowa's is right now. That squad needs reps and a get right game. In an ideal world they score 30 by the end of the 3rd quarter and you let that tank of a QB take the snaps in the 4th.

That said, take directional schools lightly at your own peril. This thread is bad juju.

Not just you. I agree he was a little better for sure. I won't believe he's 100% till I see a bootleg being called or he just steps up and scrambles and looks good doing it. He was still not wanting to move around even within the pocket all that much. But his footwork is so on point. He's what a QB is supposed to look like

Not just you. I agree he was a little better for sure. I won't believe he's 100% till I see a bootleg being called or he just steps up and scrambles and looks good doing it. He was still not wanting to move around even within the pocket all that much. But his footwork is so on point. He's what a QB is supposed to look like

Yea, but this season even if he was 100% healthy, is KF or BF going to call for run plays for him knowing the apparent drop off in the QB room? They may play him extra cautious even when healthy is what I have been thinking. They know Iowa's success this season is going to hinge on his health.

You don't rest a QB whose offense is running as unevenly as Iowa's is right now. That squad needs reps and a get right game. In an ideal world they score 30 by the end of the 3rd quarter and you let that tank of a QB take the snaps in the 4th.

That said, take directional schools lightly at your own peril. This thread is bad juju.

Ideally we can get the tank QB in on Saturday to run some QB sneaks in short yardage. Get that on tape, bring him in on 3rd and 1 at Penn and then go deep over the top to Lachey for 69 yards and a touchdown. Sorry to be so giddy, but after the shitshow last year this offense really has me optimistic.

Latest posts