Rest McNamara against WMU?

Yea, but this season even if he was 100% healthy, is KF or BF going to call for run plays for him knowing the apparent drop off in the QB room? They may play him extra cautious even when healthy is what I have been thinking. They know Iowa's success this season is going to hinge on his health.
Oh I do actually yeah. It's their O. They did the same with Petras a lot (even though he couldn't execute them very well) If Cade is 100% they'd turn him loose. Kinda like CJ Beathard I think they'd call games similar to when he was here. So if play calling is still lacking roll outs/bootlegs etc then to me that's just a tell that he's still not there yet is all.

Ideally we can get the tank QB in on Saturday to run some QB sneaks in short yardage. Get that on tape, bring him in on 3rd and 1 at Penn and then go deep over the top to Lachey for 69 yards and a touchdown. Sorry to be so giddy, but after the shitshow last year this offense really has me optimistic.
The best part about Nate Stanley as QB was he and Lindy do sneaks. They could walk up to the line, announce they were going to sneak the ball, and still get 3 yards.

I agree that we need to figure out something on 4th and 1 foot. If Cade cannot sneak, then walk Large up under center to take the snap. Be creative, Bryan.

I consider the bottom of the Ferentz era to be the loss to WMU in 07. That off season had a bunch of arrests and that loss was the Cherry on the poop Sunday.

The best part about Nate Stanley as QB was he and Lindy do sneaks. They could walk up to the line, announce they were going to sneak the ball, and still get 3 yards.

I agree that we need to figure out something on 4th and 1 foot. If Cade cannot sneak, then walk Large up under center to take the snap. Be creative, Bryan.
Those sort of things are risky. Taking the snap under center can be tricky. I'd rather have Kaleb Johnson in pistol/shotgun take a direct snap and have Large push him from behind then any non qb (besides DeJean) taking a snap under center. That's of course if you're getting creative with it. I'd prefer old fashioned QB sneaks otherwise. They usually work well enough

DeJean in the wildcat. He is special, find ways to get the ball in his hands.

It hasn't yet. Honestly I have seen any urgency on the part of the staff. Then again I'm not sure what offensive urgency would look like as we seldom see it.

Kurt ain't gonna care. Dude has looked around at the division and realized that if we can muster a mere 150 points in our conference games we're still going 10-2 at worst. If we have 10+ wins and the Brain comes up fitty points short ain't shit gonna happen.

DeJean in the wildcat. He is special, find ways to get the ball in his hands.
Getting Cooper a few offensive downs would not only help offensive production it would be huge media boost. Iowa's got an All American back that throws, runs and catches on offense and is also the punt returner. Now that's something non Hawk fans would watch. Presents an attractive destination for all 'round players.​

Kurt ain't gonna care. Dude has looked around at the division and realized that if we can muster a mere 150 points in our conference games we're still going 10-2 at worst. If we have 10+ wins and the Brain comes up fitty points short ain't shit gonna happen.

Yeah, if Kirk says it’s Brian or I walk the admin would back down. You can’t overestimate how much the boosters love Kirk.

These games are no-win situations for BF.

Score/win big and it's "well, look who we played."
Score just enough and squeak by and it's "same ol Iowa offense."

The real barometer is PSU and beyound.

Yeah, if Kirk says it’s Brian or I walk the admin would back down. You can’t overestimate how much the boosters love Kirk.
Threatening your boss is not a good move. Your chances of the boss saying “OK. See ya’” may be higher than you think.

Threatening your boss is not a good move. Your chances of the boss saying “OK. See ya’” may be higher than you think.
Kirk Ferentz works for the AD and the University President in name only. Kirk Ferentz is a beloved icon throughout most of Iowa, which alone gives him a kind of political immunity. Do you think KF and BF would have forced their position in the racist hoax and lawsuit on 2 AGs-from different parties-if he was touchable? Seriously, do you think the real boss of all the bosses gives a penny's worth of damn about how many points Iowa scores.

Kimmy is about to launch the biggest attack on the academy in Iowa history. Do you think the Gov would create a major public distraction like firing Kirk Ferentz when she's playing for much greater things of real importance? Or from the other perspective, do you really think the President would risk her job over how many points Iowa scores. The President surely knows her replacement will be at least red, and not blue, and the red people that control government in Iowa really would like to see her gone. She is not going to give us a reason to fire her. I think the President has a better sense of the political dynamics and the battle ahead. The President is going to do everything to build some political capital and not destroy her already limited political capital in a fight about football scores.

Not inviting a discussion on political merits or one's opinions of the participants. I am telling you how high-profile decisions get made at Terrace Hill. You may not like the way of the world but it is the way of the world.

Big Mac ready to go, full strength. As per his own mouth. Third game timing should be much better. This should be a breakout game for him (I hate to use the word BREAK in the same sentence with MAC)

I think you gotta play him at least a half and get a bunch more stuff on tape. I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Kurt has been playing a Hayden-esque long troll and the kid isn't even hurt and he runs a 58 yarder on the opening play against Penn State. Their d-coordinator will shit his pants if Cade breaks a run early. You know there's a few plays for him to tuck it.
The problem is he isn’t that fast.

He was clearly not 100% in the ISU game.
We should be able to beat WMU with our backup(s).
Saves McNamara from a full game of hits and allows for some more rehab time.
Also gives our backups some PT which could be valuable going forward.
Not saying I agree or disagree, but frentz absolutely doesn’t think like this. Up until a year or so ago, he’d never even play the backup whether up fifty or down fifty.

Latest posts