Release: Daniels out for Year, Willies Leaving

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
University of Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz announced Tuesday that sophomore running back LeShun Daniels, Jr. will miss the remainder of the Big Ten season due to injury, and that wide receiver Derrick Willies will transfer from the Iowa program.

The 6-foot, 230-pound Daniels was injured during practice last week. He is a native of Warren, Ohio, where he attended Harding High School. Daniels played in four games this season, rushing 14 times for 42 yards and one touchdown and having one pass reception for five yards.

“It is unfortunate that LeShun will miss the remainder of the Big Ten season,â€￾ said Ferentz. “We have full confidence that LeShun will work hard to return to full strength as soon as possible.â€￾

Willies is a 6-foot-4, 210-pound redshirt freshman who attended Rock Island (Illinois) High School as a prep senior. He played in five games, recording four receptions for 71 yards and one touchdown.

“Derrick expressed his intentions to transfer from Iowa to be closer to his father, who is having some health related issues,â€￾ said Ferentz. “We wish Derrick well should he decide to leave Iowa City.â€￾

The Hawkeyes (5-2, 2-1) return to action Saturday, hosting Northwestern (11:01 a.m., BTN) in Kinnick Stadium.

“Derrick expressed his intentions to transfer from Iowa to be closer to his father, who is having some health related issues,â€￾ said Ferentz. “We wish Derrick well should he decide to leave Iowa City.â€￾

Should?

Isn't Rock island close to Iowa City?

Yeah, I saw that too. Combine that with the quote from his Mother on twitter (I believe) that he "wasn't allowed to grow as he was led to believe" (paraphrasing) and I call B.S. on the KFz statement.

Statement makes it sound like they are going let Willes leave the team for a bit, collect his mind, and perhaps see if will rejoin the team in the spring. Doesn't sound like he is immediately transferring or leaving school. Sounds like a kid that is unhappy, whether justified or due to some emotional immaturity. If he's transferring over playing time, that's dumb. With KMM and Powell graduating he is in line for major playing time next year as a Sophomore.

Statement makes it sound like they are going let Willes leave the team for a bit, collect his mind, and perhaps see if will rejoin the team in the spring. Doesn't sound like he is immediately transferring or leaving school. Sounds like a kid that is unhappy, whether justified or due to some emotional immaturity. If he's transferring over playing time, that's dumb. With KMM and Powell graduating he is in line for major playing time next year as a Sophomore.

The "should" part is very interesting. The coaches are probably saying to an unhappy player, "sure go look around, but you aren't going to get a better shake somewhere else, you will not catch on in the big ten quitting on us halfway through a season, and if you stay next year you will get paid."

Hope he comes to his senses and realizes it will get better in Iowa City and worse anywhere else.

His dad may not live in the midwest. Derrick lived in Califonia and Las Vegas before living with an aunt in BUrlington and a legal guardian in Rock ISland.

I don't claim to know anything about this, but I thought I'd read somewhere that the reason he attended so many different high schools was because of parental relationship issues....which is why he ultimately ended up living with a guardian. Now all of a sudden he needs to be with a sick dad? This smells like Mr. Willies setting up to make a claim of a hardship waiver so he doesn't have to sit a year since he already burned a redshirt year last year. Not that I'm blaming him for leaving....since he certainly wasn't utilized for his playmaking abilities. If I had to be jumped by a guy like Vandeberg....I'd probably be pi$$ed too. But don't pee on me and tell me it's raining.

University of Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz announced Tuesday that sophomore running back LeShun Daniels, Jr. will miss the remainder of the Big Ten season due to injury, and that wide receiver Derrick Willies will transfer from the Iowa program.

The 6-foot, 230-pound Daniels was injured during practice last week. He is a native of Warren, Ohio, where he attended Harding High School. Daniels played in four games this season, rushing 14 times for 42 yards and one touchdown and having one pass reception for five yards.

“It is unfortunate that LeShun will miss the remainder of the Big Ten season,â€￾ said Ferentz. “We have full confidence that LeShun will work hard to return to full strength as soon as possible.â€￾

Willies is a 6-foot-4, 210-pound redshirt freshman who attended Rock Island (Illinois) High School as a prep senior. He played in five games, recording four receptions for 71 yards and one touchdown.

The Hawkeyes (5-2, 2-1) return to action Saturday, hosting Northwestern (11:01 a.m., BTN) in Kinnick Stadium.

Didn't we had a basketball player transfer for the same reason? But he lived in Tenn IIRC. I think the real reason he is transferring wasn't expressed in this press release.

Didn't we had a basketball player transfer for the same reason? But he lived in Tenn IIRC. I think the real reason he is transferring wasn't expressed in this press release.
Superstar Alford recruit Tyler Smith. Best ball player we've had in about a decade.

Latest posts