Release: Daniels out for Year, Willies Leaving

Greg-Davis.jpeg

I want you to run THIS FAR past the line of scrimmage. I know it's 3rd and 8, just do what I say. Yes, literally this far. We're gonna trick 'em, right Jake?

I've got a plan here dammit. Execute it!

CJ quit looking at those guys running towards the end zone. Pay attention! You need to learn this!

Okay this made me laugh outloud ... Thanks for sharing.

Umm ... would like to address a teensy omission on your part. Dunno but might add a whole new perspective ...

RECEIVING GP No. Yards Avg TD Long Avg/G
Bullock, Damon 6 25 206 8.2 0 52 34.3
Willies, D. 5 4 71 17.8 1 46 14.2
Canzeri, Jordan 7 3 66 22.0 0 50 9.4
Weisman, Mark 7 3 24 8.0 0 11 3.4
Plewa, Macon 3 3 12 4.0 0 5 4.0

Bullock has 6 times as many catches, the other RB's & FB have 1 less catch, each. It isn't the other WR's stealing catches, it's the f-ing RB's, to the tune of nearly 9 to 1!

That ain't hyperbole, son. That's a dysfunctional offensive strategy, which, by extension, is a coaching failure.

People are starting to figure this problem out. Willies is a playmaker. And instead of using him to win games, we are spreading the ball around to plenty of kids who are not his equal. This isn't complicated. How does a 5-2 team lose to a 2-5 team? Simple, relying too much on the wrong personnel.

Yeah, I saw that too. Combine that with the quote from his Mother on twitter (I believe) that he "wasn't allowed to grow as he was led to believe" (paraphrasing) and I call B.S. on the KFz statement.

I have to assume the reality of his experience is different than the recruiting pitch. Unless the pitch was that Iowa will be slinging a deep pass about twice a game and your primary role will be as a blocker, in that case he was told the truth.

For the first time in 16 years, Ferentz gets a tall, fast, tough blocking WR who is ready to play early and should have played most of the snaps. How many other coaches could screw this up?

I hope Ferentz loves him some Vandeberg & McCarron because he's going to be seeing a lot of those two over the next few years.

Only one could screw it up is good old Ferentz.

who else could screw up the QB situation either.

Its insane how little he values physical ability.

Hes got to be done, his tearing the program right back down to square one.

Are those guys lining up at receiver and taking touches from willie? That was the discussion.

Oh, I'm sorry. Guess my point was contextually irrelevant.

Let me see if I'm following ... only WR's steal catches from other WR's. When RB's steal catches ... that's football?

Good, Lord!:rolleyes:

Possible the young man knows who is going to be passing the ball to him can't match up with his speed? This could be telling about the Jake/CJB question?

Yes, makes sense. Kirk goes with the weaker arm qb, plays guys ahead of him with less athletic ability and talent, plays in a system that hardly enhances his skills, and probably has people in his ear telling him to leave because he could play in the NFL and Ferentz rarely if ever puts a receiver in the NFL. Totally makes sense. I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with Ferentz as time goes by-and I've generally been a supporter over the years.

Just to show the level of hyperbole that is on this site:
2014 receptions
Vandenberg - 4
McCarron- 0
Willies - 4
T Smith - 23
Powell - 12
Martin Manley - 33
Hillyer - 9

So according to people here 4 receptions by Vandenberg is the end of the world.

Does the passing game stink- yep. Are McCarron and Vandenberg stealing receptions from willie- nope.

If your numbers are correct, it shows the real problem is that KMM has the most catches, by far, and isn't 4th or 5th behind T. Smith, Hillyer, DW and Powell.

There are a lot of things that are frustrating me about Kirk and this program, but one of the biggest is this:

Other teams FIND WAYS to get speed players and players with game breaking potential into games as early as possible in their careers. At Iowa, they ride the pine. Excuses like "they don't know the playbook yet" or other BS. It is just maddening that guys like Smith and Powell are seldom thrown the ball, and Willies rarely sees the field.

And Parker? Kid fumbled, then got relegated to no man's land. Only just now being given *limited* playing time.

I honestly give up on trying to figure out what is going thru Kirk's mind on this.

Of all the comments posted, this hit the nail on the head. Iowa's playbook must need a rocket science to understand.

Of all the comments posted, this hit the nail on the head. Iowa's playbook must need a rocket science to understand.

The apologists have perfected their bullet points. They have an auto-reply bot which springs into action with:
Doesn't know the playbook (how would they know that?)
Lousy in practice (how would they know that?)
Can't block (well yeah, you can't block if you're sitting on the bench)
Can't run routes (how do they know what routes are being run, and how do they know that the QB didn't mess up?)
In Kirk's doghouse (why? Offended by long hair? Or offended by using social media?)
Dropped a pass (like the other backs/WRs have never dropped a pass)
Fumbled (thank goodness "no fumbles" Bullock was getting touches over Canzeri and Parker. Wouldn't want to break a long run for a TD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I'm sorry. Guess my point was contextually irrelevant.

Let me see if I'm following ... only WR's steal catches from other WR's. When RB's steal catches ... that's football?

Good, Lord!:rolleyes:

I know you are struggling with following the thread but he stated that McCarron and Vandenberg were stealing touches. This was not a discussion on the offense but about a comment that two players specifically.

This is how a discussion works, you try to follow along and not get distracted by shiny lights. I stated the passing offense has issues but the two players mentioned were not the issue.

I can give you my kids old dot to dot so you can learn to follow things.

I know you are struggling with following the thread but he stated that McCarron and Vandenberg were stealing touches. This was not a discussion on the offense but about a comment that two players specifically.

This is how a discussion works, you try to follow along and not get distracted by shiny lights. I stated the passing offense has issues but the two players mentioned were not the issue.

I can give you my kids old dot to dot so you can learn to follow things.

Let me help you.

VANDY SHOULDN'T BE ON THE FIELD IF WILLIES IS ON THE BENCH. And Mccarron being the returner over KMM is another KF blunder. Sheesh, your dense. One last thing, 4 touches for Willies is a ridiculous under-utilization. That tells me others are getting touches at the expense of guys like Powell and Willies.

What's wrong with a 6'4" "long strider" as you say returning punts? If he can field a punt and return them without fumbling he's still as good as anyone we've seen so far. There's no Tim Dwight on this team.

Let me help you.

VANDY SHOULDN'T BE ON THE FIELD IF WILLIES IS ON THE BENCH. And Mccarron being the returner over KMM is another KF blunder. Sheesh, your dense. One last thing, 4 touches for Willies is a ridiculous under-utilization. That tells me others are getting touches at the expense of guys like Powell and Willies.

Because he should be returning punts, wasn't that your conclusion earlier.?

Football is not your strength. Not sure what is, but keep trying.

Just to show the level of hyperbole that is on this site:
2014 receptions
Vandenberg - 4
McCarron- 0
Willies - 4
T Smith - 23
Powell - 12
Martin Manley - 33
Hillyer - 9

So according to people here 4 receptions by Vandenberg is the end of the world.

Does the passing game stink- yep. Are McCarron and Vandenberg stealing receptions from willie- nope.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Powell has already equaled his total catches from last year.

Time to shut him down.

The comment replied to states touches. I do not have anything that states the number of plays in.

You want to discuss facts or emotional guesses as to being the best WR?

I'm not jumping in to argue with you, Easton, as you've already stated you don't have the stats for "number of plays in" for Vandeberg, McCarron, Willies. I just think the general frustration is that people can plainly see the talent and playmaking ability in guys like Powell and Willies. When those two are barely on the field, the fact that McCarron and Vandeberg are even sniffing playing time is tragic.

I do recall certain instances during critical passing plays this season where I'm seeing Vandeberg on the field, but no Powell or Willies. The play that sticks out in my mind was a 3rd and 6 or 7 against Ball State and we actually threw a quick slant to Vandeberg in that situation. You wouldn't have a stat for that particular play either. Hit Vandeberg in the hands. Incomplete.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Powell has already equaled his total catches from last year.

Time to shut him down.

Honestly, it's bad coaching to get the WR with the highest YPC two years in a row more than 12 touches per season. You risk the possibility of showing poor sportsmanship by scoring too many points.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your numbers are correct, it shows the real problem is that KMM has the most catches, by far, and isn't 4th or 5th behind T. Smith, Hillyer, DW and Powell.

Yes, the elephant in the room, other than the completely selfdestructive decision to play Jake over CJ, is that KMM is the 3rd or 4th best receiver on this team and really should not be seeing the amount of targets he does.

KFs stubborn methods are counter productive to say the least.

I'm not jumping in to argue with you, Easton, as you've already stated you don't have the stats for "number of plays in" for Vandeberg, McCarron, Willies. I just think the general frustration is that people can plainly see the talent and playmaking ability in guys like Powell and Willies. When those two are barely on the field, the fact that McCarron and Vandeberg are even sniffing playing time is tragic.

I do recall certain instances during critical passing plays this season where I'm seeing Vandeberg on the field, but no Powell or Willies. The play that sticks out in my mind was a 3rd and 6 or 7 against Ball State and we actually threw a quick slant to Vandeberg in that situation. You wouldn't have a stat for that particular play either. Hit Vandeberg in the hands. Incomplete.

I'm almost positive that the play you're refering to had Powell and Willies lines up to the left and we threw the quick pass to Vandeberg right.

What's the point of having playmakers on your team if you're not going to use them soley as decoys. Hashtag Ferentz logic.

Latest posts