Regarding people talking of Marble leaving early...

TheOracle

early for the NBA. At least a couple of times now I've seen people mention that Marble may be making an early departure for the NBA after this season. Is he even on NBA scouts radars or is this something people are making up in there own heads?

The only reason he'd leave early is if he listened to horrible advice. He doesn't have a consistent jump shot and I doubt we are going to see that develop between now and next May when he'd have to declare early. That, and he doesn't have an explosive first step off the dribble. He's not quick enough to play PG in the NBA and he can't shoot well enough to be a 2 right now. He definitely needs all four years in college and even then it will be an uphill climb IMO.

Were I him, I'd be shooting jumpers until I couldnt raise my arms above my head.

PS: I edited your title

I think I saw an article (maybe it was just a poster on here- I really don't remember) on a recent I-Club outing. Sherm (or perhaps Speraw) were asked if Marble was on the NBA radar and they said the coaching staff has been contacted by multiple NBA teams for scouting purposes. So it appears to be legit.

I think I saw an article (maybe it was just a poster on here- I really don't remember) on a recent I-Club outing. Sherm (or perhaps Speraw) were asked if Marble was on the NBA radar and they said the coaching staff has been contacted by multiple NBA teams for scouting purposes. So it appears to be legit.

I think he's definitely someone worth watching. But as far as going early? Not gonna happen. I think his best shot in the league would be as a PG..and I wonder how many minutes he will get there the next few years.

I think he's definitely someone worth watching. But as far as going early? Not gonna happen. I think his best shot in the league would be as a PG..and I wonder how many minutes he will get there the next few years.

I think his game is much more suited to be a 2 guard. He could thrive on a team that had a 3 or a 1 who was the primary scoring option. I would compare him to Thabo Sefolosha from OKC. Sefolosha averaged less than 5 ppg this year, but he still played 20 minutes because of his defense, his work ethic, and his team work. I think that's where Marble could have a role in the NBA.

I'm assuming fans who are talking about Marble leaving early are thinking he'll make the same degree of jump from his sophomore to junior year that he did from his freshman to sophomore. If he does, then that'd be great, as Iowa will likely be playing in the NCAA Tournament if he gets that good.

My guess, though, is he'll be basically the same his junior and senior years but just really refine his game, including improving his shooting consistently to a point where he's a real threat from the three-point line. If he can do that, and become a consistent defender, I could see him getting an NBA shot. I'd agree that unless he's a first-round lock after his junior season, it would benefit him to play out his senior campaign.

One thing to watch: this will be his first year he won't be asked to play a lot at the point guard. Will he be able to flourish at the small forward or shooting guard position, or will he need more work to fit in to this role playing against players of similar size and athleticism?

Last edited:

Marble is not even close to being comparable to Rondo. I sure hope that isn't what you were implying.

There ain't no body, no how, on Iowa's team right now that will be leaving early, unless they transfer, flunk out, or get in hot water.

I would only hedge my bet by not including the incoming frosh in my prediction, but given what I know about them at this point, I am not afraid of including them.

out of next yr's roster only 1 player could end up leaving early for nba...adam woodbury (and i dont think it will happen).

I spoke with Roy at the Pleasant Hill Hy-Vee on Fri night and he did say that he was trying to push him to leave early. Talked about how an injury could cost him money.

Latest posts