Regarding people talking of Marble leaving early...

There ain't no body, no how, on Iowa's team right now that will be leaving early, unless they transfer, flunk out, or get in hot water.

I would only hedge my bet by not including the incoming frosh in my prediction, but given what I know about them at this point, I am not afraid of including them.
Totally agree with this....

Devyn is not going to the pros after next season under any circumstances. I believe Fran has assembled a Team that is determined to excel and make it to the Dance and make some serious noise. I personally believe the current team is dedicated to the program.....

Two seasons from now we will be a force to contend with.....

:)

I spoke with Roy at the Pleasant Hill Hy-Vee on Fri night and he did say that he was trying to push him to leave early. Talked about how an injury could cost him money.

I'm going to refrain from a distasteful Roy Marble statement but he's making it difficult.

I think we should refrain from connecting Devyn with this speculation. I have not heard him say he thinks he would be ready to come out after this year. Let it play out. If he is actually good enough to be a first round prospect ,then that means he had a tremendous year. But, I trust that Fran will clamp down on any selfish play seeking to pad stats. Hey, if Devyn shot from the arc like in the Oregon game all year...he might just be attractive...but that would be like 65% from the arc. That aint happening.

It is really,really hard to be drafted in the first round of the NBA. Devyn is a full year younger than his class,so even if he stays 4 years,he will only be 21 when he is drafted and goes to his first NBA training camp in the fall. He needs more physical development. The Thabo comparison would be reasonable if he was stronger,quicker,and more athletic.

The notion of him leaving only highlights the dearth of talent Iowa BB has had in recent memory. He's pretty good, but are any of you watching the NBA playoffs (I am not either, but the players are on a different level)?

There is one similarity I notice between Devyn and Rondo. It is their unpredictability. Nobody knows what they are going to do with the ball.....

Of course, there is no comparison between the two at this stage of the game....

Devyn is going to be a Junior at Iowa and Rondo has been playing for a few years in the NBA and is playing as well as any point guard in the playoffs right now.....

Just an observation, that's all.....

:)

A few points to make. And this post is all opinion.

1. A point was made about a statement that Roy made about avoiding injury to avoid losing money. There was no actual quote there, but think outside being a Hawks fan for a moment and how could you argue this? Nothing is set in stone, but if he were to lock a 1st round pick why wouldn't he declare? (No two players, with the same last name, father and son duo, has ever gone 1st round, FROM THE SAME SCHOOL! If that did happen, it would be a big deal for the U of I.

2. If that did happen it wouldn't be the "death of Iowa BB." It'd be great for Iowa BB because now the new recruits know Fran can send them to the NBA. And the top recruits might start picking Iowa.

3. RD might or might not be ready for the NBA next year. If he needs his senior year then he needs his senior year. And I'm not NBA talent scout. But this kid can play above and beyond what we already seen. We're going to get a good dose of what he can really do with a solid point running with him.

Last edited:
A few points to make. And this post is all opinion.

1. A point was made about a statement that Roy made about avoiding injury to avoid losing money. There was no actual quote there, but think outside being a Hawks fan for a moment and how could you argue this? Nothing is set in stone, but if he were to lock a 1st round pick why wouldn't he declare? (No two players, with the same last name, father and son duo, has ever gone 1st round, FROM THE SAME SCHOOL! If that did happen, it would be a big deal for the U of I.

2. If that did happen it wouldn't be the "death of Iowa BB." It'd be great for Iowa BB because now the new recruits know Fran can send them to the NBA. And the top recruits might start picking Iowa.

3. RD might or might not be ready for the NBA next year. If he needs his senior year then he needs his senior year. And I'm not NBA talent scout. But this kid can play above and beyond what we already seen. We're going to get a good dose of what he can really do with a solid point running with him.

The only problem is he's about 8 million miles away from being a first round pick..he's not anywhere close. In no universe is he close to being a first rounder.

The only problem is he's about 8 million miles away from being a first round pick..he's not anywhere close. In no universe is he close to being a first rounder.

If he isn't a first rounder he will have no reason to declare. And if that ends up being the case, there's nothing to talk about.

Last edited:
He has length and athleticism. Sometimes I think that's all that is required for one to be an NBA draft pick. A lot of clankers in the league, they usually fill out a roster after the superstars. I'm not really much of an NBA fan, so my opinion might seem a bit harsh on talent.

Latest posts