Refs worse than I thought

I'm not into b@tching about the refs either, but that was atrocious. Some head-scratching calls against Minny, too. College basketball officiating his horrendous. Not just this game - I've felt this way for years and years.

Yeah, Iowa could've done a lot of things differently to win this game, but I'd be curious to see how this game would have turned out if any of the refs had bother to grant Ellingson that timeout, and/or bothered to consider the fact that Minnesota's player was OOB on that tie up.. Guess we'll never know.

Oh well.. WOULD have been a big win, but I guess that's Iowa basketball. I've grown used to the kicks to the groin area.

Funny how other teams can get lucky and all we ever seem to do is get unlucky. VCU has two of the luckiest endings ever back to back and we've had one buzzer beater since 2008. We also had a lucky 3 against northwestern when Uthoff heaved it up but we lost that game anyway so it doesn't really count. I wonder how many other teams only have 1 buzzer beater in the last 9 years.

If Baer passes the ball to Bohannon after the full court pass, we have our second buzzer beater win in 9 years. He was wide open cutting to the basket and there was time to pass it to him.

Has anyone ever done a follow up to see what happens to the refs after they call a bad game? I've never heard anything about the punishment they may or may not receive. I wonder if they have to answer to NCAA or if anyone points out calls that they blew. I'm guessing nothing happens due to the fact you'll see them doing it all over again this weekend.

If Baer passes the ball to Bohannon after the full court pass, we have our second buzzer beater win in 9 years. He was wide open cutting to the basket and there was time to pass it to him.

As I mentioned in the game thread, whenever I see that long pass to that part of the court, I see it as a version of the Bryce Drew Valpo play. Throw it to the middle of the floor. If that player can catch the pass, player on both sides of the floor or at the basket may be open because the defenders are all watching/playing the pass. There was 3.6 seconds left when Iowa threw that pass - not much different than the 2.5 seconds for Valpo. It would have been cool if it worked.

Yes the refs missed it but when Minnesota called timeout and 20 sum seconds left I was thinking foul one of their bad foul shooters.Were up by 2 and if he makes both then we can take last shot to win.I'm not a basketball wizard like some of you but that's what I was thinking.Your Thoughts
I don't think you give them the chance to get the offensive rebound. We struggled on the boards. I would've been more in favor of putting Williams in at the very end of the game like we did in OT. That might've helped.

Why couldn't replay review that?
Fran and staff should've asked but they were too busy freaking out about the horrible no timeout call. If they would've realized that the MN player was also out of bounds, I think it could've been reviewed.

Yeah I noticed that. Under the circumstances, I understand the catch-turn-shoot mentality that Baer must have had when he got the ball, but Bohannon was wide open, and he probably would've still had time to get the shot off if Baer had found him.

I think Temple last year was the last buzzer beater to go Iowa's way.. Before that... ??? I thought Cy Tate got one against K-State when Lick was here. Didn't Uthoff hit a game winner @Minnesota a couple years ago?

There might be something else I can't remember but Iowa must be about 2 for 50 when it comes to scoring at end-of-game situations in the past decade. Obviously our quality of shots with time running out has been extremely poor, but still. You'd think a shot would go down a little more often.

I knew this would be a rebuilding year and I know close losses are going to happen, but it'd be a little easier to swallow if seemingly every promising season didn't end with an epic February meltdown (last year, two years before that, etc.). Since Alford was hired - that's pretty much always been the case. Top 10-15 in January, NIT/bubble by March. Or, Northwestern State. It's been exceedingly frustrating being an Iowa fan the better part of these last two decades.

As I mentioned in the game thread, whenever I see that long pass to that part of the court, I see it as a version of the Bryce Drew Valpo play. Throw it to the middle of the floor. If that player can catch the pass, player on both sides of the floor or at the basket may be open because the defenders are all watching/playing the pass. There was 3.6 seconds left when Iowa threw that pass - not much different than the 2.5 seconds for Valpo. It would have been cool if it worked.

Baer probably didn't think he had time to pass because of the bobbled ball he had to go get. It's unfortunate because if we get that layup at the buzzer, not only do we keep our slim tournament hopes alive, but more importantly we get to rub it in 56's face in the Bohannon thread.

Fran and staff should've asked but they were too busy freaking out about the horrible no timeout call. If they would've realized that the MN player was also out of bounds, I think it could've been reviewed.

No doubt. If anyone on the staff or one of our players would have noticed he stepped out, we are all cheating about a win right now. It sucks balls.

Reactions: DJL
Baer probably didn't think he had time to pass because of the bobbled ball he had to go get. It's unfortunate because if we get that layup at the buzzer, not only do we keep our slim tournament hopes alive, but more importantly we get to rub it in 56's face in the Bohannon thread.

Yes, once Baer bobbles it, the play is blown up. If he catches it cleanly, he has time to pass or face up and shoot. At least that's what I think was going on there.

Will keep posted as to any officiating crew reprimand or suspension.....man some of the stuff they 'missed' was pretty obvious.

Yeah I noticed that. Under the circumstances, I understand the catch-turn-shoot mentality that Baer must have had when he got the ball, but Bohannon was wide open, and he probably would've still had time to get the shot off if Baer had found him.

I think Temple last year was the last buzzer beater to go Iowa's way.. Before that... ??? I thought Cy Tate got one against K-State when Lick was here. Didn't Uthoff hit a game winner @Minnesota a couple years ago?

There might be something else I can't remember but Iowa must be about 2 for 50 when it comes to scoring at end-of-game situations in the past decade. Obviously our quality of shots with time running out has been extremely poor, but still. You'd think a shot would go down a little more often.

I knew this would be a rebuilding year and I know close losses are going to happen, but it'd be a little easier to swallow if seemingly every promising season didn't end with an epic February meltdown (last year, two years before that, etc.). Since Alford was hired - that's pretty much always been the case. Top 10-15 in January, NIT/bubble by March. Or, Northwestern State. It's been exceedingly frustrating being an Iowa fan the better part of these last two decades.

After Tate in 08, the next one was Marble against Tennessee. It wasn't a buzzer beater tho and we lost in ot anyway. After that it was Uthoff against Minnesota. I think that one there was a couple seconds left and if Im not mistaken that's the game where Minnesota made a layup that got waved off. That one we were tied and the shot prevented overtime. After that, Uthoff made one against Northwestern that forced ot but we lost anyway. Then there was the Temple tip in. The last time we made a shot in a win or lose situation was Tate in 08. Before that was probably Recker in the tourney. That's means one in 15 years or so. Crazy.

Yes, once Baer bobbles it, the play is blown up. If he catches it cleanly, he has time to pass or face up and shoot. At least that's what I think was going on there.

Like I said, I get why he didn't pass. But there was time and the right play was to pass it. People go the length of the floor in 3.6 seconds. That's plenty of time to make that pass.

Do we know they didn't ask refs to look at it? Further, I don't see how the coaching staff would be able to tell from where they were that the Minnesota guy was out of bounds - there's no way they could see from that far away plus the fact that there were players blocking their view. Shoot, even the players on the court didn't say anything, either, and they were the ones closest to the action. Is there a rule that doesn't allow the ref to review when a timeout is called vis a vis when a jump ball is called, such that asking a ref to review whether a timeout was "timely" called is not a reviewable issue. Perhaps it wasn't reviewed because the issue at that moment was the timeout and not the out of bounds. The out of bounds element of the play was something the viewers knew about, but I don't see how the coaches could have been aware of it - it was a bang-bang play that was likely not something they could have seen. And, unlike football, they don't have coaches in a press box that can call down to the coaching staff to ask for a review.

Do we know they didn't ask refs to look at it? Further, I don't see how the coaching staff would be able to tell from where they were that the Minnesota guy was out of bounds - there's no way they could see from that far away plus the fact that there were players blocking their view. Shoot, even the players on the court didn't say anything, either, and they were the ones closest to the action. Is there a rule that doesn't allow the ref to review when a timeout is called vis a vis when a jump ball is called, such that asking a ref to review whether a timeout was "timely" called is not a reviewable issue. Perhaps it wasn't reviewed because the issue at that moment was the timeout and not the out of bounds. The out of bounds element of the play was something the viewers knew about, but I don't see how the coaches could have been aware of it - it was a bang-bang play that was likely not something they could have seen. And, unlike football, they don't have coaches in a press box that can call down to the coaching staff to ask for a review.

Basketball teams need a manager in the locker room watching a monitor and looking at social media. If something like that happens, they can alert one of the assistant coaches via ear piece for the review. Sort of surprised this doesn't happen a;ready - much like baseball has someone watching plays to determine a review.

Last night was a frustrating loss, but I respect those players and can't wait to see what they become as a team in the next couple of years. They received an epic failure on the officiating with the Ellingson time out/jump ball. I mean anyone who watches basketball is anticipating the time out call there, so how does an official not instinctively blow the play dead and grant the time out?

Second, this team was let down by their own coaching staff. Iowa had time outs, see comment above, at end of regulation. Once Bohannon dribbles into trouble, right in front of the Iowa bench, with 3.5 seconds on the clock, why aren't they bailing him out with a time out to reset the play? Then at the end of 1st OT, what was that hail mary play? Were they trying to recreate the Christian Laettner shot? I mean a high school kid could take a normal inbound pass and get the down the court and into position to shoot a 3 or dish off to an open spotted up shooter.

So, why I hated to see the loss, hopefully this team continues to grow and gets into position late in games so that poor officiating and poor coaching does not prevent them from winning games.

Basketball teams need a manager in the locker room watching a monitor and looking at social media. If something like that happens, they can alert one of the assistant coaches via ear piece for the review. Sort of surprised this doesn't happen a;ready - much like baseball has someone watching plays to determine a review.
Good idea. Wonder why it hasn't been implemented - not permitted?

Like I said, I get why he didn't pass. But there was time and the right play was to pass it. People go the length of the floor in 3.6 seconds. That's plenty of time to make that pass.

Totally agree. I think that was the original intent of the play.
Second, this team was let down by their own coaching staff. Iowa had time outs, see comment above, at end of regulation. Once Bohannon dribbles into trouble, right in front of the Iowa bench, with 3.5 seconds on the clock, why aren't they bailing him out with a time out to reset the play? Then at the end of 1st OT, what was that hail mary play? Were they trying to recreate the Christian Laettner shot? I mean a high school kid could take a normal inbound pass and get the down the court and into position to shoot a 3 or dish off to an open spotted up shooter.

Coaches can't call timeout while the ball is in play. That rule changed a while back. But, as PCHawk has mentioned, Baer was signialing for a timeout, but it was not granted.

Latest posts