Refs worse than I thought

Totally agree. I think that was the original intent of the play.

Coaches can't call timeout while the ball is in play. That rule changed a while back. But, as PCHawk has mentioned, Baer was signialing for a timeout, but it was not granted.
Stupid rule.

Totally agree. I think that was the original intent of the play.

Coaches can't call timeout while the ball is in play. That rule changed a while back. But, as PCHawk has mentioned, Baer was signialing for a timeout, but it was not granted.

A crew all has assignments. All it takes is for 1 of them to look away for a split second an a call is missed. Maybe they thought they saw something else. It was a bad night for refs. Tough place to play. MN fans had their share of gripes as well.

Reminded me of an 80s type Big game. Intensity through out. Crowd into it.

Fouls and such are judgement calls and both teams got the benefit of many last night. I don't really complain about those. That jump ball however, was just poor officiating and never should have happened, especially with 3 on the floor at once. If they understand the game just an ounce, they know Iowa would want a timeout there and expect it. For them not to come together and get it right, or at least review it, is just horrendous.

Evidently Iowa fans aren't allowed to cheer at the Barn...

I mentioned this during the game thread. There were a couple of comments on Twitter about Elvis or Barta going Charles Oakley on security. That would have been fun. :)

After Tate in 08, the next one was Marble against Tennessee. It wasn't a buzzer beater tho and we lost in ot anyway. After that it was Uthoff against Minnesota. I think that one there was a couple seconds left and if Im not mistaken that's the game where Minnesota made a layup that got waved off. That one we were tied and the shot prevented overtime. After that, Uthoff made one against Northwestern that forced ot but we lost anyway. Then there was the Temple tip in. The last time we made a shot in a win or lose situation was Tate in 08. Before that was probably Recker in the tourney. That's means one in 15 years or so. Crazy.

OK - I'll have to trust you on that but that seems about right so I'm not surprised.

On the flip side, how many times has Iowa been beaten at the buzzer? I don't think it's been so bad in recent years, but it seemed like we were really on a roll with that under Alford. Teams with "Northwestern" on their jerseys come to mind. A half-court shot against Wisconsin in the BTT (2005?). I seem to remember losing 3 straight years @MSU in the mid 90's, either at the buzzer or with a second or so left. 95-97 I think. If you go further back - Andy Kaufman. And pretty sure a buzzer beater against PSU ended Iowa's season in 1995 or something (NIT).

Is Iowa basketball jinxed?

Do we know they didn't ask refs to look at it? Further, I don't see how the coaching staff would be able to tell from where they were that the Minnesota guy was out of bounds - there's no way they could see from that far away plus the fact that there were players blocking their view. Shoot, even the players on the court didn't say anything, either, and they were the ones closest to the action. Is there a rule that doesn't allow the ref to review when a timeout is called vis a vis when a jump ball is called, such that asking a ref to review whether a timeout was "timely" called is not a reviewable issue. Perhaps it wasn't reviewed because the issue at that moment was the timeout and not the out of bounds. The out of bounds element of the play was something the viewers knew about, but I don't see how the coaches could have been aware of it - it was a bang-bang play that was likely not something they could have seen. And, unlike football, they don't have coaches in a press box that can call down to the coaching staff to ask for a review.
I honestly don't know if they coaches were aware or if a player told them, or if coaches can even tell them to go to the monitor. It seems like I've seen coaches complain to refs in the past and they go to the monitor, but I don't know the official rule.

Of course it is carrying. Basketball officiating seems to be governed by suggestions, not rules.

Yes it's a carry, probably 1 of 10 that occurs in any game not called. What is left out is the absolutely horrible defensive posture.

What's funny is, Williams did a good job on Mason on this possession. It was a smart substitution by Fran (Williams for Bohannon).

But it is terrible defensive posture at that moment. Williams played very small school high school basketball and was faster than most everyone else. At this level, no.

But it is terrible defensive posture at that moment. Williams played very small school high school basketball and was faster than most everyone else. At this level, no.

Posture isn't great and he doesn't stay on his toes. But, he didn't let Mason turn the corner like most of the previous defenders in the game and lot of defenders on other teams in the Big Ten. Overall, Williams did his job on that play regardless of how it looked. :)

Why couldn't replay review that?

They can review an OB call under 2 minutes I believe but a timeout/jump ball isn't able to be reviewed. I don't think the refs at that time had any idea he was standing OB when he tied him up and since OB wasn't the call, that couldn't be part of the review.

I'm not a college official so I'm not 100% sure but I think that's why.

Fran and staff should've asked but they were too busy freaking out about the horrible no timeout call. If they would've realized that the MN player was also out of bounds, I think it could've been reviewed.

Just curious.... why do you think it could have been reviewed??

Just curious.... why do you think it could have been reviewed??
I think I said somewhere in this thread that I don't know if it could've been reviewed. I looked it up and it appears that you can only review a ball that is tipped. So if you are standing out of bounds touching the ball and the refs missed it, too bad. So I openly admit I that the above post was bad work out of me.
It's just so frustrating that the ref blew that play so badly.

College basketball officiating shouldn't be a side job. Who knew the napoleon complex ref was a cop?

s_topTEMP325x350-9235.jpeg

Yes, napoleon is a great description. I hate when I see him on the crew for an Iowa game. He seems to go out of his way to be confrontational. He's like the MLB baseball umpires who toss players/mgr's for even questioning a call.

Latest posts