Refs worse than I thought

hagarwood

It turns out that Coach had notified the officials that if Iowa got the ball they wanted a timeout. How they can then not grant one is amazing, but wait. The Big Ten 2 Go and the Big Ten Network microphones both picked up Brady yelling for timeout. There were two refs closer to Brady than the microphones. Jordan Bohannon was also calling timeout. How they got together and didn't grant Iowa a timeout is stunning. For anyone tuning in late the player that tied up Brady was standing out of bounds and the refs missed that too. Just some perspective - when I visited the Gopher board they were sure the refs had screwed them by calling some phantom fouls that sent Peter Jok to the line (probably true) and calling a foul on the wrong player (Jordan Murphy) and fouling him out. Hope this team is resilient enough not to have a hangover for MSU (they're coming of a beat down by Michigan).

I get so sick and tired of the terrible officiating. The women's game Sunday was just about as bad. With everything else being equal Iowa would have probably have won both of those games.

I get so sick and tired of the terrible officiating. The women's game Sunday was just about as bad. With everything else being equal Iowa would have probably have won both of those games.

No doubt the refs messed up the call/no call. On TV I could hear the word timeout being yelled twice. Not seeing the guys foot being out of bounds is horrible officiating as well.

However, Iowa towards the end of the first half caused a lot of their own troubles when the Goophers took the lead to 11 points.

No matter what though, the Big Ten needs to have a conversation with this threesome. There were a few questionable calls on Minnesoter as well. Two of the Three refs look as old as me, mid 50"s, and in my opinion are too old to ref at this level. Yes, they know the rules. But their eyes are not able to keep up with the speed of play. I used to ref and I know first hand. That's why I don't ref anymore.

I'm never one to point the finger at the officials, but that was horrible. I don't understand how Minnesota got the ball at the end of regulation. Well, the NIT is still basketball...

I have complained about it for years on here. College BB officiating is flat out horrible, and has been for a long time. Once the game shifted from basketball to mugging people on the court, it became an impossible sport to officiate well. Go back on YouTube and watch some games in the 80's, that is how basketball is supposed to look. A free flowing game, without all the hand checking, mugging and super physical game.

End of game situations like this are baffling. The refs KNEW we were going to call timeout. Any motion towards such, is a timeout.

BE called a timeout, both with his hands and verbally. JB, 3 feet behind him was also signaling timeout, both verbally and with his hands.

Nevermind the Minnie player being out of bounds. That was a timeout. And it all happened right in front of the ref. THAT GUY had better not be calling another Iowa game for many, Many years... We are talking Jim Bain suspension here folks!

On top of it all, the double OT added another 35 minutes of frustration. Now I am frickin tired as heck. My coworkers will fear me today. If I hear anything other than, that game was over in regulation, I'll be biting some heads.

We had Better see Minnie in the B1G tourney. Someone will be getting an a$$ beating! If we have the right, competent refs...!

That is all.

Last edited:
Fouls go this way and that way. That's basketball and refs will miss a lot. Usually it evens out in the long run.

But that was unforgivably bad. How they can say that it wasn't a timeout when everyone heard it is laughable. I expect a letter from the league office soon. ;)

Fouls go this way and that way. That's basketball and refs will miss a lot. Usually it evens out in the long run.

But that was unforgivably bad. How they can say that it wasn't a timeout when everyone heard it is laughable. I expect a letter from the league office soon. ;)

I was going to mention a letter. One that will state, said incompetent referee will no longer be calling Iowa games for the foreseeable future.

or this
C4MpXz2XAAEd2Cr.jpg:large

Same thing can be said about the horrible carry and travel calls they missed. That's part of basketball and they unfortunately get missed all the time. Those are OK to bitch about but at the same time know they are going to happen. Not granting the timeout was a complete joke and more than likely an intentional crowd pleaser.

Reactions: DJL
Oh, and Patino is about 2 feet on the court. Apparently it was a triple team.

I, also, don't usually complain on refs much, and they certainly weren't the reason we had to make a comeback. But this is so bad, and very likely lost Iowa the game. The players deserved to win that game.

Really bothers me.

I am complaining about the refs - but I also know Iowa had more opportunities given to them to win the game and they didn't. Tough break - it would be a completely different feeling around here today.

What is also interesting is that the reporting on the game mentions only a small part of this poor officiating or none at all. It's like AP, ESPN, and most newspapers feel they need to protect the refs, unless it's a big story about Duke or some other major school. The refs had a terrible game and the more it's reported the more pressure to spend money to fix it. Cleaning the defense up would also help make it easier for the refs to focus on the stuff they could be getting right. Shout out to deanvogs for his comment. The team and the coaches know there are a lot of things they need to do better, but this game was really on the refs.

Yes the refs missed it but when Minnesota called timeout and 20 sum seconds left I was thinking foul one of their bad foul shooters.Were up by 2 and if he makes both then we can take last shot to win.I'm not a basketball wizard like some of you but that's what I was thinking.Your Thoughts

Yes the refs missed it but when Minnesota called timeout and 20 sum seconds left I was thinking foul one of their bad foul shooters.Were up by 2 and if he makes both then we can take last shot to win.I'm not a basketball wizard like some of you but that's what I was thinking.Your Thoughts

I've never seen a team do that in that situation in my life. There is some good to that strategy but there is a lot of bad too. It takes away the chance of a 3 but brings in the chance of them missing the second one and getting a putback. Also if they did miss, more than likely one of our bigs who suck at free throws ends up with the rebound and at the line. That right there is probably the main reason to not do it.

I'm not into b@tching about the refs either, but that was atrocious. Some head-scratching calls against Minny, too. College basketball officiating his horrendous. Not just this game - I've felt this way for years and years.

Yeah, Iowa could've done a lot of things differently to win this game, but I'd be curious to see how this game would have turned out if any of the refs had bothered to grant Ellingson that timeout, and/or bothered to consider the fact that Minnesota's player was OOB on that tie up.. Guess we'll never know.

Oh well.. WOULD have been a big win, but I guess that's Iowa basketball. I've grown used to the kicks to the groin area.

Latest posts