Recruiting Roundup

Caught up with '18 Indianapolis 4-star RB Markese Stepp. Kelvin Bell and Kirk Ferentz will be visiting him on Tuesday. He recently de-committed from Notre Dame. He's officially visiting Indiana this weekend.

Here's his Rivals profile: LINK
Iowa was in early on Stepp but he grabbed the ND offer and committed quickly.

Here's a story I wrote after Iowa offered: LINK

boy, if we could get this kid and Geil, that would be a mini coup. If we could also get Petra and Lockett, I'd love this class. that would be a really good haul on offense: Stepp, Geil, Petras, Lockett, Ince, Plumb and Jenkins.

Should I be concerned that no one (of the undecideds) committed this weekend?
I wouldn't be. Lockett and Craddieth have both mentioned their recruiting process possibly lasting till the February signing.

I feel like a lot of attention was paid to locking down some committed guys who were thinking about extending their recruitment. If his tweet is any indication, I think Johnson is solid with us now.

Rob - does the good weekend end all speculation on DJ? I think he is an important get with the pending loss of Jackson.

I've been trying to reach him. I think the weekend visit was a great step for Iowa and his tweet indicates that he's a Hawkeye. I'd like to talk with him, though, to make sure it's a done deal. Recruiting is strange.

What are your projections # and who signs 12/20 through 12/22 based on this last weekend? Based on tweets and comments above, looks like Lockett and Craddieth are going to slow play. What about the QB from CA who is committed to Oregon State?

What are your projections # and who signs 12/20 through 12/22 based on this last weekend? Based on tweets and comments above, looks like Lockett and Craddieth are going to slow play. What about the QB from CA who is committed to Oregon State?

It's really hard to say with any degree of accuracy in terms of overall numbers. My guess is in the 20-22 range but there will likely be attrition, possibly in January, which would open up scholarships for the late period in February.

I wrote stories on Lockett, Honas and Craddieth yesterday that updates their recruitment and thoughts on the Iowa visit. Spencer Petras, the CA QB, played in a playoff game Saturday night and did not get here until Sunday. He is finishing his visit today.

I think all of the 15 verbal commitments that visited this weekend will sign on Dec. 20. After that, it's fluid.

I asked Torres what happened with Iowa and he said he'd rather not comment.
Weird... Iowa didn't push him away did they? Clearly no other TEs commitment seems imminent. Just weird to decommit to take a step down to WM? I'm sure their campus is a little closer to home for him then IC but it's not exactly right around the corner either. Sounds like we'll never know the rest of the story there but things like this happening make me curious.

I just get the idea that the staff couldn't close the deal with the tight end from indiana. It happens every year with this staff.

I just get the idea that the staff couldn't close the deal with the tight end from indiana. It happens every year with this staff.
To be fair, it happens every year with almost every staff.

In this case, we aren't privy to any details. It could have been a mutual parting of the ways for any of several reasons.

"My visit to Iowa was good. It was really quick. I enjoyed Iowa City and everyone there. But I'm sticking with Oregon State."

.........Petras 12/12

"My visit to Iowa was good. It was really quick. I enjoyed Iowa City and everyone there. But I'm sticking with Oregon State."

.........Petras 12/12

Here's the story LINK

I spoke with him at 11:30 last night. I was writing up the story when I saw this story. No longer writing up a story.

Next.

Here's the story LINK

I spoke with him at 11:30 last night. I was writing up the story when I saw this story. No longer writing up a story.

Next.

but the question is "who" is next? I'm pretty concerned now that Duggan has OSU offer. I understand that Max is a '19, but if we don't get an '18 and max is out for '19, we're in deep trouble.

There's a lot more time to get kids in '19 and Iowa still is in good shape with Duggan. That needs to play out.

We'll see who else emerges from '18.

Maybe we can get G. Davis to work on a retainer and send him back to TX to find another QB for us. Clayton Tune (TX) was on our radar at one time and just recently recommitted to KS after having second thoughts. I don't think we ever offered?

There's a lot more time to get kids in '19 and Iowa still is in good shape with Duggan. That needs to play out.

We'll see who else emerges from '18.

i hope you're right about Duggan. you're far more connected to it than i am. that's an understatement. but i'm just nervous that an OSU offer and an offer from Scott (Oregon Ducks offense) Frost will be too much to overcome.

Latest posts