Recruiting for next year

I haven't seen him play, but he is from a small town over by where I grew up. From watching my HS at state the last 3 years (1A) the competition is pretty limited. The best of the best players are usually going D2, and those are players that DOMINATE in this class. It makes sense that they need to see him against better competition. It would be very hard to judge how a kid will do against someone as quick if not quicker than him, ones that can jump higher, are more physical, handle the ball better, etc....

Yeah I get that, our home town produced a 4 year starter at UNI (Brooks McKowen) and Tellinghuisen already has a scholarship offer to a low major (Albany) so it can happen. There have been a number of former Hawkeyes that have came from small town Iowa. But this summer in AAU will show the coaches what level he should be playing at.

From the video I seen he does not look like some scrawny/skinny kid running around jacking up 3's, if he was to grow a couple of inches he might be able to play a small forward position. He is going to have to show a lot of quickness in order to defend a shooting guard in the Big Ten.

I should know better than to try and have a discussion on a discussion board...but anyway, here goes:

Since 1993 (I mentioned earlier in this thread comparing the last 20 years because anything older is just reaching - for either side)
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Big 12 teams

Played 208 NCAA games with a record of 124-84 (60% wins). Add another 5 games for teams this year for total of 213.
3 National Championship Games, 1 win (Kansas).

ISU's portion: 17 games, record of 9-8 (53%). Add at least one game this year to bring to 18 total.
In those games, 2 Sweet Sixteens and 1 Elite Eight.

Big 10 teams

Played 271 NCAA games with a record of 160-111 (59% wins). Add another 7 games for teams this year for total of 278.
3 National Championship Games, 0 wins.

Iowa's portion: 13 games, record of 6-7 (46%).
In those games, 1 Sweet Sixteen.

While not 'blowing you out of the water', ISU clearly has the lead in both appearances, depth of progression, and wins in the NCAA tourney. Our conference (even when we had less members) has a national champ team in it. Overall conference win rate is better by 1%...okay, I'm stretching there ;-)

Bottom line, it's nice that BOTH teams are going to be making things interesting again. Which is what I was trying to say before you all got sand in your shorts about a g-d clone fan on YOUR site. Because we all know there are exactly zero Hawkeye fans on CyFanatic...

Good conference comparison, but just like all people you cherry pick stats that are in you're favor. Want to compare Final 4 appearances between conferences? The Big 12 has had 12 teams since 1994, the B1G had 11 from 1990-2011. So let's say 11 vs 12. Big 12 has played 208 games in NCAA or 17.33/team while the B1G has played 271 games in NCAA or 24.64/team.

Final 4 Appearances (1993-2012)
Big 12 - 9
B1G - 14

Yeah I get that, our home town produced a 4 year starter at UNI (Brooks McKowen) and Tellinghuisen already has a scholarship offer to a low major (Albany) so it can happen. There have been a number of former Hawkeyes that have came from small town Iowa. But this summer in AAU will show the coaches what level he should be playing at.

From the video I seen he does not look like some scrawny/skinny kid running around jacking up 3's, if he was to grow a couple of inches he might be able to play a small forward position. He is going to have to show a lot of quickness in order to defend a shooting guard in the Big Ten.

It is just tough to tell when they don't play better competition. I played against Skinner and Pearson. Those guys were unbelievable, and each averaged like 49 PPG. I thought skinner was better, but I was wrong. He just wasn't athletic enough to get off his shot at the D1 level. He would have dominated at a UNI level school at that time.

What I still take away from those guys is how much quickness and athleticism you need to get your shot off at the D1 level. When other players are taller, faster, quicker, and more athletic, it is a much, much tougher game.

BTW I'm not knocking the kid. Just saying how hard it is to project kids that play in the low class division in Iowa.

Good stuff and could not agree more. Gone are the days Iowa is looking for warm bodies to fill scholarships. But can you elaborate on the bolded part? By bigger do you mean him playing in the post or do you mean quicker/faster/better guards? One of the recruiting services I looked at had him listed as a SG, but the small tidbits I seen on the video had him playing post defensively which is not uncommon for small town schools. At 6-5 he is not tall enough to play post unless he is not done growing, if that is the case perhaps we have another McCabe with better perimeter shooting skills.

Windsor, any chance he would walk on his first year or does he have to get a full ride? It appears his only offer at this point is Albany but if a person can afford it I say follow your dreams. I know a lot can change, just curious.
From what I have heard he will be a 2 or 3 but mostly a 2. Think Josh O but with a skinnier frame and probably moves around similarly(similar ball handler, good bball IQ). Like some have said in high school he has had to defend the post more often than not. Coaches want to see him defend on the perimeter against like sized/skilled types of players. They also want to see how his offensive game translate against these types of players. In a nutshell what does his overall game look like against other college level players. The talent level at which he competes against in High school is definitely lacking which is often why these kids are more difficult to project.

BTW I'm not knocking the kid. Just saying how hard it is to project kids that play in the low class division in Iowa.

Nope, not thinking that at all. Good stuff and I agree with all of it, it is so tough to project where a kid from a small school can play unless it is obvious they either have the ball handling skills to run the point or is big/tall enough to play post. This kid could potentially match up well at the 3 if he grew a couple more inches. But I am speculating based off watching 1 video, obviously this summer will determine what the coaches feel he can or cannot do.

Yeah, your right I just couldn't remember your screen name. I'm a Detemmerman, I know people like Bellis, Todd Kauffman, van daele, etc. sorry HN, just a little small town talk here. Won't take long and didn't feel like inboxing it.

Yep, I know all those guys. I bought a car from Todd, insurance from Chad, and one of boys played ball on Ryans team last year.

Since Reed Tellinghuisen is from the town (Sac City) where I grew up and I know his family I checked on his stats off and on all season. I'm not saying Iowa should have offered him or anything of that nature...think he's in the right place at South Dakota State. He was discussed on here a bit and I sent private messages to some of you so I'm just posting an update for fun and because it's the off season. He played in all 35 of their games.

23.5 MPG
8.6 PPG
45.3 FG%
68.4 FT%
42.0 3P%

Since Reed Tellinghuisen is from the town (Sac City) where I grew up and I know his family I checked on his stats off and on all season. I'm not saying Iowa should have offered him or anything of that nature...think he's in the right place at South Dakota State. He was discussed on here a bit and I sent private messages to some of you so I'm just posting an update for fun and because it's the off season. He played in all 35 of their games.

23.5 MPG
8.6 PPG
45.3 FG%
68.4 FT%
42.0 3P%

Thanks I appreciate it as I was one of whom who discussed...looks like a great fit for him.

23.5 MPG
8.6 PPG
45.3 FG%
68.4 FT%
42.0 3P%

I'm a lifelong Hawkeye fan and graduate of South Dakota State, so I watched him play a few times this year. I came away very impressed with his athleticism. By the time he is done, I could really see him scoring 18 - 20 PPG. At 6'6" he is able to create his own shot very well and can finish at the rim. His stroke from deep range is extremely smooth and effortless.

I think he could have played in the Big Ten and been a solid contributor for the Hawks.

I'm a lifelong Hawkeye fan and graduate of South Dakota State, so I watched him play a few times this year. I came away very impressed with his athleticism. By the time he is done, I could really see him scoring 18 - 20 PPG. At 6'6" he is able to create his own shot very well and can finish at the rim. His stroke from deep range is extremely smooth and effortless.

I think he could have played in the Big Ten and been a solid contributor for the Hawks.

Thanks for the first hand insight!