Recruiting for next year

Talking about more than one game's score. I realize that's what you chose to focus on because of this year's result, however, I was speaking more from a program standpoint - trips to NCAA (or NIT I guess), overall recruiting, fan support, etc.

And yes, let's keep it in the last 20 years or so...because if you have to go back farther than that to justify who is better...perhaps the more recent results haven't lived up to expecations? Let's face it, we can all learn from past mistakes so it stands to reason that a good program would be moving UP as you go forward. Shouldn't need to go back to the beginning of time.

So your definition of the ISU-Iowa series is measured by who goes to the NCAA tournament or not is just idiotic and ignoring who plays in the stronger conference. You can say "Well Kansas has won a title last before a Big Ten team, so the Big 12 is better." go ahead, but I would have liked to see Iowa in some other conferences this season, but there have been times when the Big Ten has not been good either. Did ISU in conference play a No. 1, 2, 3, two 4, 7 and 11 seeds in the NCAA tournament? I guess Iowa's "easy" conference schedule leaves no doubt that they didn't belong in the NCAA tournament.

If the NCAA is your measuring stick, fine so be it, but I will take Iowa's NCAA results than some other programs. Also, if you think Iowa isn't going to have a 7 out of 9 year NCAA tournament run then you are nuts.

Here is the thing with ISU, all these teams that consistently bring in JUCO's or transfers have their pipeline run out, or they end up reaching on "experienced" players rather than sign a freshman. I will say this, Fred has done a decent job in recruiting freshman, Niang is for real, but we don't know a lot about anyone else like Dorsey-Walker and guys that are suppose to be really good on paper don't always pan out, not saying they won't, but don't get too excited that Fred has a two year string, it is awesome that they are going, but to think that they are better in the rivalry and superior because of that is a bit of a stretch at this point.

Talking about more than one game's score. I realize that's what you chose to focus on because of this year's result, however, I was speaking more from a program standpoint - trips to NCAA (or NIT I guess), overall recruiting, fan support, etc.

And yes, let's keep it in the last 20 years or so...because if you have to go back farther than that to justify who is better...perhaps the more recent results haven't lived up to expecations? Let's face it, we can all learn from past mistakes so it stands to reason that a good program would be moving UP as you go forward. Shouldn't need to go back to the beginning of time.

It's so hard to differentiate a head injury from a clone fan.

Your words: "Glad to see the rivalry will actually BE a rivalry going forward rather than the lopsided years we've had in the past"

Do you understand what the word "rivalry" means? Clearly not. Stick to words you understand. And why the hell are you here on a Hawkeye board anyway? (rhetorical question for which the answer is self-evident).

Seek help for your self-esteem issues, and get the hell out of our front yard.

Last edited:
Iowa State played a 1 seed 3 times, a 4 seed twice, a 5 seed twice, and a 10 seed 3 times in conference, going 8-9 overall vs the top 100.

Iowa played a 1 seed twice, a 2 seed once, a 3 seed twice, a four seed once, a 5 seed twice, a 7 seed once, and an 11 seed twice going 5-9 vs the top 100.

Basically Iowa State had more good wins, and more overall wins against the tough teams on the schedule. Why would the conference matter?

Iowa State played a 1 seed 3 times, a 4 seed twice, a 5 seed twice, and a 10 seed 3 times in conference, going 8-9 overall vs the top 100.

Iowa played a 1 seed twice, a 2 seed once, a 3 seed twice, a four seed once, a 5 seed twice, a 7 seed once, and an 11 seed twice going 5-9 vs the top 100.

Basically Iowa State had more good wins, and more overall wins against the tough teams on the schedule. Why would the conference matter?

Because you are on an Iowa Hawkeye board, and it makes us feel better.......so suck it! :p

It's so hard to differentiate a head injury from a clone fan.

Your words: "Glad to see the rivalry will actually BE a rivalry going forward rather than the lopsided years we've had in the past"

Do you understand what the word "rivalry" means? Clearly not. Stick to words you understand. And why the hell are you here on a Hawkeye board anyway? (rhetorical question for which the answer is self-evident).

Seek help for your self-esteem issues, and get the hell out of our front yard.

Well he's right, there have been some lopsided years in the past. I mean, we are 20 games ahead in the all-time series. I agree with what he's trying to say, which is the Cy-Hawk game is better, more exciting, more intense when it is more important. It will continue to get better as there will be NCAA tournament implications for both teams.

6-9 against the top 100 for Iowa after tonight. Way to use the top 100 cut off instead of top 50 for your stats too, those four wins over Baylor, Byu and Florida Gulf Coast are really something to hang your hat on. Both teams have the same amount of top 50 wins.

Are there any top recruits in the state of Iowa for 2014-15? Got woody, Gesell, and now Jok. Who are the big recruits coming up in iowa and Nebraska?

Okay, I forgot that racking up wins in bad conferences bolstered RPI, my bad...see: MTSU

If you think that the Big 12 is a better conference you are nuts.

Honestly though, I don't care what ISU was against top 100 teams, or what Iowa was, it doesn't matter. What I do find funny is that Iowa's "weak" conference slate still played better teams per the NCAA seeding than ISU playing a full Big 12 schedule and conference tournament.

What else is funny is to measure anything but head to head in a rivalry as well. I like it when ISU/Iowa are both good, which they are today, it makes both conferences better and the rivalry much more fun and interesting. Congrats on capitalizing on a weak conference and beating some decent teams and making the NCAA tournament, it is better than being in the NIT.
At this point, I feel Iowa is the better program because of the conference they play in and still finding a way to finish above two NCAA tournament teams and competing night in and night out except for one. Iowa didn't close out games, something ISU was able to do, but they won some games last year they probably shouldn't have, so it all balances out in the end. I don't hold any ill will toward ISU, just dislike them all year except one night that I hate them.
It is ignorant to say a rivalry is dominated because of NCAA appearances vs. NIT appearances when Iowa/ISU get to settle it on the court every year.

Okay, I forgot that racking up wins in bad conferences bolstered RPI, my bad...see: MTSU

If you think that the Big 12 is a better conference you are nuts.

Honestly though, I don't care what ISU was against top 100 teams, or what Iowa was, it doesn't matter. What I do find funny is that Iowa's "weak" conference slate still played better teams per the NCAA seeding than ISU playing a full Big 12 schedule and conference tournament.

What else is funny is to measure anything but head to head in a rivalry as well. I like it when ISU/Iowa are both good, which they are today, it makes both conferences better and the rivalry much more fun and interesting. Congrats on capitalizing on a weak conference and beating some decent teams and making the NCAA tournament, it is better than being in the NIT.
At this point, I feel Iowa is the better program because of the conference they play in and still finding a way to finish above two NCAA tournament teams and competing night in and night out except for one. Iowa didn't close out games, something ISU was able to do, but they won some games last year they probably shouldn't have, so it all balances out in the end. I don't hold any ill will toward ISU, just dislike them all year except one night that I hate them.
It is ignorant to say a rivalry is dominated because of NCAA appearances vs. NIT appearances when Iowa/ISU get to settle it on the court every year.

This seems like the reverse of many football seasons. One team loses head to head, but has more success in a lessor conference?

Congrats on capitalizing on a weak conference and beating some decent teams and making the NCAA tournament, it is better than being in the NIT.

the Big Ten was clearly the best league this year, but to call the Big 12 a "weak conference" just exposes your ignorance of the college game. As good as the Big Ten? No. Weak? Ridiculous.

the Big Ten was clearly the best league this year, but to call the Big 12 a "weak conference" just exposes your ignorance of the college game. As good as the Big Ten? No. Weak? Ridiculous.

Okay, you think Oklahoma deserves to be in the NCAA tournament?

FYI I thought the Big12 was the third best of the power six with three legit teams and ISU deserving to make it.

B12 a tad better than the SEC.

Last edited:

Using that logic, Ferentz has dominated ISU in football despite having more losses than wins.

Iowa offered Dubuque's Seth Bonifas the fall of 2011, when he was a soph..he didn't have a great year this past year as a jr, under 10ppg..not sure about any possible reasons or if he still has an offer. Neither Scout or Rivals has talked with him since at least the summer

Are there any top recruits in the state of Iowa for 2014-15? Got woody, Gesell, and now Jok. Who are the big recruits coming up in iowa and Nebraska?

I think Seth Bonifas from Dubuque Senior has an offer, scout also lists Casey Schlatter from Iowa Falls as a prospect. Both are Power Forwards. Lohaus looks pretty good but he is committed to UNI. I am not sure who else is out there for 2014.

I think Seth Bonifas from Dubuque Senior has an offer, scout also lists Casey Schlatter from Iowa Falls as a prospect. Both are Power Forwards. Lohaus looks pretty good but he is committed to UNI. I am not sure who else is out there for 2014.

I know of another in state shooting guard the Hawks are staying in touch with. He has to make a splash this summer to get an offer but Iowa is keeping an eye on him. He's a Hawk if they decide they want him.

Never said the big 12 was better and only a moron would claim it.

However, Iowa State played 10 tourney teams while Iowa played 11, and that is just the conference. It's not like Iowa State was rolling through the summit league here.

And do I think Oklahoma should be in the tourney? Without a doubt and its a no brainer.

Never said the big 12 was better and only a moron would claim it.

However, Iowa State played 10 tourney teams while Iowa played 11, and that is just the conference. It's not like Iowa State was rolling through the summit league here.

And do I think Oklahoma should be in the tourney? Without a doubt and its a no brainer.

Why because they beat Kansas? How is that a no brainer, I am serious, please explain.

Latest posts