Recruiting for next year

the Big Ten was clearly the best league this year, but to call the Big 12 a "weak conference" just exposes your ignorance of the college game. As good as the Big Ten? No. Weak? Ridiculous.

There's something hilarious ...almost beyond explanation... about a clone fan using the word "ignorance". How's the saying go? ... "You can't make this stuff up".

I should know better than to try and have a discussion on a discussion board...but anyway, here goes:

Since 1993 (I mentioned earlier in this thread comparing the last 20 years because anything older is just reaching - for either side)
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Big 12 teams

Played 208 NCAA games with a record of 124-84 (60% wins). Add another 5 games for teams this year for total of 213.
3 National Championship Games, 1 win (Kansas).

ISU's portion: 17 games, record of 9-8 (53%). Add at least one game this year to bring to 18 total.
In those games, 2 Sweet Sixteens and 1 Elite Eight.

Big 10 teams

Played 271 NCAA games with a record of 160-111 (59% wins). Add another 7 games for teams this year for total of 278.
3 National Championship Games, 0 wins.

Iowa's portion: 13 games, record of 6-7 (46%).
In those games, 1 Sweet Sixteen.

While not 'blowing you out of the water', ISU clearly has the lead in both appearances, depth of progression, and wins in the NCAA tourney. Our conference (even when we had less members) has a national champ team in it. Overall conference win rate is better by 1%...okay, I'm stretching there ;-)

Bottom line, it's nice that BOTH teams are going to be making things interesting again. Which is what I was trying to say before you all got sand in your shorts about a g-d clone fan on YOUR site. Because we all know there are exactly zero Hawkeye fans on CyFanatic...

I should know better than to try and have a discussion on a discussion board...but anyway, here goes:

Since 1993 (I mentioned earlier in this thread comparing the last 20 years because anything older is just reaching - for either side)
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Big 12 teams

Played 208 NCAA games with a record of 124-84 (60% wins). Add another 5 games for teams this year for total of 213.
3 National Championship Games(Kansas);), 1 win (Kansas).

ISU's portion: 17 games, record of 9-8 (53%). Add at least one game this year to bring to 18 total.
In those games, 2 Sweet Sixteens and 1 Elite Eight.

Big 10 teams

Played 271 NCAA games with a record of 160-111 (59% wins). Add another 7 games for teams this year for total of 278.
3 National Championship Games, 0 wins.

Iowa's portion: 13 games, record of 6-7 (46%).
In those games, 1 Sweet Sixteen.

While not 'blowing you out of the water', ISU clearly has the lead in both appearances, depth of progression, and wins in the NCAA tourney. Our conference (even when we had less members) has a national champ team in it. Overall conference win rate is better by 1%...okay, I'm stretching there ;-)

Bottom line, it's nice that BOTH teams are going to be making things interesting again. Which is what I was trying to say before you all got sand in your shorts about a g-d clone fan on YOUR site. Because we all know there are exactly zero Hawkeye fans on CyFanatic...

When did Michigan St lose their title win from 2000. Did Izzo get busted for cheating that year?

I know for a fact we are waiting to offer Tellinghuesen (sp?). Everyone and their brother is waiting till this summer to watch him.

Interesting recruit, I watched a video on him and he appears to be a scorer. Obviously the video does not show him playing much defense, especially on the perimeter. Most small schools use 6-5 guys in the post.

Never said the big 12 was better and only a moron would claim it.

However, Iowa State played 10 tourney teams while Iowa played 11, and that is just the conference. It's not like Iowa State was rolling through the summit league here.

And do I think Oklahoma should be in the tourney? Without a doubt and its a no brainer.

It's not a "no brainer".

Oklahoma got in because of some phoney baloney RPI numbers and a couple of good conference wins. Yes, they beat Kansas in Norman. TCU beat Kansas, too. They did absolutely nothing in their non-conference schedule to warrant a bid.
They won games with: Louisiana Monroe, Tex. Arlington, UTEP, Oral Roberts, Northwestern St., Tex A&M (7-11 in SEC), Ohio, Tex A&M, Corpus Christi. Wow. Great bunch of wins there.
They did play a few decent teams: Loss to Gonzaga by 25 on a neutral court, loss at Arkansas (7th place in putrid SEC) and lost to Stephen Austin at home. Tell me again at 20-11 they were a "no brainer".

The rpi is a fricking joke and so is the SOS rankings.

Baylor is 19-14
Long Beach State is 19-14.
A team's SOS ranking would be the same playing those two teams. There is no comparison in the actual strength of those two teams.

A home game against Stoney Brook at 25-7 would be great for your SOS.
Playing a game at Texas would hurt your SOS this year.
In reality, which is a tougher game?? Even this year when Texas is down, the game at Texas would be a tougher win, but the SOS would not reflect that.

Never said the big 12 was better and only a moron would claim it.

However, Iowa State played 10 tourney teams while Iowa played 11, and that is just the conference. It's not like Iowa State was rolling through the summit league here.

And do I think Oklahoma should be in the tourney? Without a doubt and its a no brainer.

Bryce, you have proven to be a good poster here even though we all know you are a clown fan but you are way off on the bolded part. Oklahoma played the RPI game to perfection this year, they played a stronger than normal non conference with some road/neutral games and then played well in a weak B12. That does not add up to a "no brainer" to be included in the NCAA, all it really proves is that the RPI should not be the final measuring tool to be used in comparing these teams for tournament bids.

Bonifas does not currently hold an offer from the Hawks. I don't suspect he will be offered later either. He hasn't developed like Fran had hoped. Consensus on Tellinghuisen is they need to see him play against bigger, and more talented competition in AAU ball. He is definitely a scorer and has a deadly shot but the question will be does he have the all around basketball skills to fill a scholly on an already loaded roster. Fran is likely going to be able to be a little more selective about who he offers just based on higher levels of interest due to program momentum. With that said Fran has a very good eye for talent and I don't think he will miss on too many kids that he gets a chance to watch multiple times.

I know for a fact we are waiting to offer Tellinghuesen (sp?). Everyone and their brother is waiting till this summer to watch him.

Everyone not named Iowa may as well start looking elsewhere. That's all you're getting from me other than it would be nice to see someone from my old stomping grounds play for Iowa.

Bonifas does not currently hold an offer from the Hawks. I don't suspect he will be offered later either. He hasn't developed like Fran had hoped. Consensus on Tellinghuisen is they need to see him play against bigger, and more talented competition in AAU ball. He is definitely a scorer and has a deadly shot but the question will be does he have the all around basketball skills to fill a scholly on an already loaded roster. Fran is likely going to be able to be a little more selective about who he offers just based on higher levels of interest due to program momentum. With that said Fran has a very good eye for talent and I don't think he will miss on too many kids that he gets a chance to watch multiple times.

Good stuff and could not agree more. Gone are the days Iowa is looking for warm bodies to fill scholarships. But can you elaborate on the bolded part? By bigger do you mean him playing in the post or do you mean quicker/faster/better guards? One of the recruiting services I looked at had him listed as a SG, but the small tidbits I seen on the video had him playing post defensively which is not uncommon for small town schools. At 6-5 he is not tall enough to play post unless he is not done growing, if that is the case perhaps we have another McCabe with better perimeter shooting skills.

Windsor, any chance he would walk on his first year or does he have to get a full ride? It appears his only offer at this point is Albany but if a person can afford it I say follow your dreams. I know a lot can change, just curious.

Good stuff and could not agree more. Gone are the days Iowa is looking for warm bodies to fill scholarships. But can you elaborate on the bolded part? By bigger do you mean him playing in the post or do you mean quicker/faster/better guards? One of the recruiting services I looked at had him listed as a SG, but the small tidbits I seen on the video had him playing post defensively which is not uncommon for small town schools. At 6-5 he is not tall enough to play post unless he is not done growing, if that is the case perhaps we have another McCabe with better perimeter shooting skills.

Windsor, any chance he would walk on his first year or does he have to get a full ride? It appears his only offer at this point is Albany but if a person can afford it I say follow your dreams. I know a lot can change, just curious.

I haven't seen him play, but he is from a small town over by where I grew up. From watching my HS at state the last 3 years (1A) the competition is pretty limited. The best of the best players are usually going D2, and those are players that DOMINATE in this class. It makes sense that they need to see him against better competition. It would be very hard to judge how a kid will do against someone as quick if not quicker than him, ones that can jump higher, are more physical, handle the ball better, etc....

Last edited:
I'd like to check mine, too, for what it's worth.

Gladly...but the name is already out there. I didn't want to post it because I didn't want to read 1000 posts about what the kid can't do, why he is a wasted scholarship, this is not the direction this program should go, now we're taking Iowa kids from 2A that don't make state, etc.

Tellinghuisen is from Sac City. He is 1st team all state this year as a junior and was the leading scorer in Class 2A...doesn't play 1A. He has a perimeter game. He's from a small school so he has to play inside on defense. Reed plays all over the place (geographically) like most quality players in this day and age.

He is the son of a coach. He's from an outstanding family. I can't comment on whether he could/would walk on.

Latest posts