Record after Michigan, Penn State ?

Whether Iowa has a solid shot at winning vs Michigan and PSU depends so much on our pass rush and coverage in the secondary. Most years it's our D that holds it own and we worry how to generate enough points.
This season we have enough speed and talent on offense that I think we can score with almost anyone.
If our secondary can contain and hopefully we end up +1 on turnovers we have a good chance at leaving Ann Arbor with a W!

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Plus 2 or 3 in each game n we're 6-0, bowl eligible!

Do you prefer:

A loss @ Mich and a win at home vs PSU, or
A win @ Mich and a loss at home vs PSU?

Do you prefer:

A loss @ Mich and a win at home vs PSU, or
A win @ Mich and a loss at home vs PSU?

That is a TOUGH question.

My gut wants PSU game more....can't stand that arrogant coach over there in Nit land.
But, if we beat PSU and lose to MI, WI will have a smile a hundred miles wide knowing they've probably wrapped up the conf champ berth.

I believe we win both games and here’s why. Michigan got exposed last week vs. Wisconsin. They’re players were out of position much of the game. You had guys running on defense to the same gaps. Michigan doesn’t know who they are yet. Don Brown isn’t gonna change his defense. The way to beat Michigan is to take them over the top and beat their man to man defense.
Penn St. hasn’t really beat anybody yet. Pitt gave them a game and was real close to beating them. They have the best front seven they have had in years, but their secondary is very beatable. Again, another team Stanley can beat throwing to the outside, underneath and over the top. They don’t have a very good special teams game either other than their placekicker. Then we got a very banged up Purdue team coming to town whose season is pretty much done for the season. They lost Lorenzo Neal and Marcus Bailey for the season. Elijah Sindelar again got knocked out of the Minny game. David Bell and Rondale Moore are both banged up. Stick a fork in them, they are done. I predict Iowa not only goes 6-0, but they will be 8-0 with a win against NW going into Madison. And I’m not sold on Bucky yet either. Call me a homer if you will, but I’m very optimistic that we are going to have a very special season like 2015.

2-0 - 4%

1-1 - 48%

0-2 - 48%

ESPN lists the win probabilities calculated from FPI. They Iowa's chances for a win at 37.9 for the Michigan game and a 34.3 for the Penn State game.

Calculating from those percentages, I get:
Winning Both: 13%
Winning One: 46%
Losing Both: 41%

That sounds about ballpark, with the usual caveats. It's still hard to gauge how well either team will play this early in the season. Also, the calculation I made assumes that the probability of winning the second is totally independent of the probability of winning the first. Which is not true. The probability of winning a second game goes up or down quite a bit depending on the outcome of the prior game.

Call me a homer if you will, but I’m very optimistic that we are going to have a very special season like 2015.
You’re a homer.

And don’t whine like a baby about it, either; you literally told us to call you a homer if we think you’re one.

That could be said every year. I mean what maybe 3 times over the last 50 years that Iowa was even in the top 4 come the last weekend of the year (1985, 2002, 2015). Maybe I'm forgetting 1, but lets face it we might get a shot at being a top 4 teams once every 10-20 years.
I think this might be that team. If we get some of our backfield back and we get Jackson back, this team has the look of a team that is focused each week and ready to play. I don’t read much into the Iowa State game, but they are a good team in defense, and we won at their house. Stanley looks much better than last year, our running game looks much better than last year, and get a couple of backfield players healthy and we could get in a roll.

I think this might be that team. If we get some of our backfield back and we get Jackson back, this team has the look of a team that is focused each week and ready to play. I don’t read much into the Iowa State game, but they are a good team in defense, and we won at their house. Stanley looks much better than last year, our running game looks much better than last year, and get a couple of backfield players healthy and we could get in a roll.

I hope every year is one of those special years so I certainly hope you are right. If we beat Michigan and Penn St. I will certainly start feeling more like it is a special year.

I think we have better than a punchers chance in both. Penn State looks to be a slightly better team right now but we have them at home, so that is a push. I'll say we will be 5-1 after the two games but we could get them both.

One caveat, if Meatchicken figures out their offense, they could be dangerous. If they don't figure out their office, the will be dangerous to themselves.

I think we lose both. I don't think we're getting our dbs back anytime soon, or they'd have dressed like Alaric.

I think Michigan's WR against our freshman safety and corner is a nightmare matchup.

Our DL hasn't gotten pressure against four subpar teams.

The Iowa State win no longer looks that great; Iowa hasn't played anyone and has only curb-stomped one of the subpar opponents we've faced.

Michigan put it together last week better than Iowa performed against a common opponent. I think they'll roll the rest of the way.

Franklin just has Kirk's number, and they put it all together last week, and they've played real competition in Pitt.

Both teams out recruit Iowa by leagues.

This Iowa team will go 9- 3, but won't beat anyone with a pulse.

The Baylor incompetency is what has me sour on this team. Until Iowa beats someone real, I'm a nonbeliever again.

You’re a homer.

And don’t whine like a baby about it, either; you literally told us to call you a homer if we think you’re one.
I’m not gonna whine at all. I’m proud to be a die-hard Hawk fan. I believe at one time you called me a troll, so at least I got you flipped on that notion. Go Hawks!

I think we lose both. I don't think we're getting our dbs back anytime soon, or they'd have dressed like Alaric.

I think Michigan's WR against our freshman safety and corner is a nightmare matchup.

Our DL hasn't gotten pressure against four subpar teams.

The Iowa State win no longer looks that great; Iowa hasn't played anyone and has only curb-stomped one of the subpar opponents we've faced.

Michigan put it together last week better than Iowa performed against a common opponent. I think they'll roll the rest of the way.

Franklin just has Kirk's number, and they put it all together last week, and they've played real competition in Pitt.

Both teams out recruit Iowa by leagues.

This Iowa team will go 9- 3, but won't beat anyone with a pulse.

The Baylor incompetency is what has me sour on this team. Until Iowa beats someone real, I'm a nonbeliever again.

I know I shouldn't fall for this, but what the hell......

We've had two common opponents with Michigan. We beat the tar out of MTSU much more than Michigan did. Hell, Michigan was behind the entire 1st qtr to those guys. As far as Rutgers is concerned, I'm not sure that Michigan avg'ing a whopping 3.8 ypc against those guys is anything to write home about. Sure, the 52 looks good, but we probably would have had 50+ as well if their kicker didn't pin us at our own goal line 50 times.

As it relates to ISU, they lost on the road to an undefeated team when the game time temperature on the field was literally 148 degrees. And you're going to base whether they're good or not on that? That's like trying to determine if Iowa is good based on a game played on the road with multiple weather delays of over 3 hours.

Do you even watch games or do you just look at final scores? Based on your write-up, I'm guessing the latter. I guarantee if we beat Michigan, you'll be the first SOB to come on here and find something wrong with it and say "Well, these guys got beat way worse by Wisconsin, so that means we suck and we'll never beat Wisky."

Step aside boys and let me show you how it's done.
We go undefeated into the B10 championship. We match up very well with everyone on the schedule.
OSU? We are going to need everything we've got. We are going to need near perfect game plans. They don't look stoppable. So limiting damage and getting TD's instead of fg's is huge against them.
I think Wisconsin can actually keep it close with them, if they can control the clock and score TD's on almost every possession.
Play nearly mistake free ball.
Plain and simple, they are pretty fine tuned and someone is going to have to be more fine tuned to beat them.

Latest posts