Record after Michigan, Penn State ?

I know I shouldn't fall for this, but what the hell......

We've had two common opponents with Michigan. We beat the tar out of MTSU much more than Michigan did. Hell, Michigan was behind the entire 1st qtr to those guys. As far as Rutgers is concerned, I'm not sure that Michigan avg'ing a whopping 3.8 ypc against those guys is anything to write home about. Sure, the 52 looks good, but we probably would have had 50+ as well if their kicker didn't pin us at our own goal line 50 times.

As it relates to ISU, they lost on the road to an undefeated team when the game time temperature on the field was literally 148 degrees. And you're going to base whether they're good or not on that? That's like trying to determine if Iowa is good based on a game played on the road with multiple weather delays of over 3 hours.

Do you even watch games or do you just look at final scores? Based on your write-up, I'm guessing the latter. I guarantee if we beat Michigan, you'll be the first SOB to come on here and find something wrong with it and say "Well, these guys got beat way worse by Wisconsin, so that means we suck and we'll never beat Wisky."

I watched all of the ISU-Baylor game. ISU got all their points in the 4th quarter with Baylor playing soft to prevent the big play. They looked way more prepared to play Iowa than Baylor. They can't kick a field goal to save their lives, and barely crossed the 40 yard-line until the 4th. They looked awful. And Baylor only scored 21 points on Rice. They're not good.

I was watching the Iowa game during the Mich game, but 52 - 0 is impressive when you add in the recruiting rankings. They got their offense together, which is pretty much throw to our talented guys against their untalented guys. Saw the highlights - Patterson is finally hitting the open receivers that he's had the option of hitting all year long, because they've been open. Our secondary is, and will remain, beat up and not that great, and our pass rush can't buy a sack. With the cushion Iowa will give, plus the lack of pass rush, plus a mobile QB, plus talented WRs, it's going to be a long day for the D on the road in Ann Arbor.

I was very high on the Hawks earlier this year. The Baylor loss makes me think this is a paper tiger. It sucked the confidence right out of me that this Iowa team is legit.

I watched all of the ISU-Baylor game. ISU got all their points in the 4th quarter with Baylor playing soft to prevent the big play. They looked way more prepared to play Iowa than Baylor. They can't kick a field goal to save their lives, and barely crossed the 40 yard-line until the 4th. They looked awful. And Baylor only scored 21 points on Rice. They're not good.

I was watching the Iowa game during the Mich game, but 52 - 0 is impressive when you add in the recruiting rankings. They got their offense together, which is pretty much throw to our talented guys against their untalented guys. Saw the highlights - Patterson is finally hitting the open receivers that he's had the option of hitting all year long, because they've been open. Our secondary is, and will remain, beat up and not that great, and our pass rush can't buy a sack. With the cushion Iowa will give, plus the lack of pass rush, plus a mobile QB, plus talented WRs, it's going to be a long day for the D on the road in Ann Arbor.

I was very high on the Hawks earlier this year. The Baylor loss makes me think this is a paper tiger. It sucked the confidence right out of me that this Iowa team is legit.
On the flip side, Michigan could pretty easily turn the ball over 3-4 times, which would make it awfully difficult to win. You’re right, the Hawks have struggled to create sacks, but the DL has created multiple interceptions with pass pressure. For Harbaugh this year, the team’s biggest assets are also its largest liabilities.

Anybody, and I mean anybody throwing the ball for the top 100 FBS programs, is going to look complete against Rutgers.

Let's not underestimate the importance of this game to either team.
Iowa absolutely has to keep pace with Wisconsin or the west isn't very interesting at all.
Michigan has very little chance of winning the east, but they need a good showing after Wisconsin took them to the wood shed.
Both teams want this.

Do be so quick about Iowa’s lack of sacking QB’s just yet. Teams are double teaming Epenesa and opposing QB’s are making quick throws or moving out of the pocket to avoid Iowa’s pressure. As we move on through the season you will see less of that as we take on better teams. I think AJ will still get his double digit sack total and continue to be disruptive against the pass.

Michigan and PSU might not have played anyone, but neither have we.

Our best win so far was against a horrible B12 team by one point on their own muffed punt return. Miami, MTSU, and Rutgers doesn’t mean jack. I’m not saying the Hawks can’t win one of these, but none of Iowa, Michigan, or PSU has beaten an even remotely good team yet and there’s no way to tell how they stack up against each other until 3 weeks from now.

These are facts and it’s the elephant in the room Iowa Fans (including myself) don’t want to acknowledge. Iowa state was definitely not who we thought they were. We thought they were top 25, they are likely a 7-5 team.

Neither of these teams scare me. I really like this team. I would say it is one of the better ones the KF has ever had, esp. if our DBs are healthy.

Wiscy and tOSU are the only teams that scare me in this conference. And we have a senior QB and a stable of capable RBs and a very good receiving corp.

2-0 is our record against these 2 over rated teams.

These are facts and it’s the elephant in the room Iowa Fans (including myself) don’t want to acknowledge. Iowa state was definitely not who we thought they were. We thought they were top 25, they are likely a 7-5 team.

I still think Iowa State is a good team, not great, but good. And comparing them against Baylor with how they played us is out of context. There were a lot of intangibles on the line when they played us, and they have shown that their place can be a snake pit. They have beaten a lot of teams there lately.

You also have to remember that they had two big plays against a new corner and safety, which have always been out of character for a Parker defense. Take that away and we give up three. And we scored 5 times. I know Deace is harping about the yards per play differential, but you will have that when one team has two huge plays and the other completely controls the clock. If you look at it from that perspective on the road, that we want to control the clock, win the turnover battle, prevent the big play and run the ball, we did that.

I think the one area, and this is nitpicking, that I would take from that game and really our others as well is that we aren't scoring enough touchdowns in the red zone. Points are good but 7 is better than 3. If say we convert 2 of those field goals against ISU to touchdowns, and prevent the big play, that game looks like 27-3 and everyone would have said we dominated.

Latest posts