Re: Derrick Mitchell

Is this something that actually happened?

Yes, and reinstatement was to play against Iowa--the player actually got to "choose" his punishment...unreal. Dantonio's recent success has done much to cover up his innate sleaze. Don't forget the fake injury game in '11 either--MSU players even admitted as much afterwards. And Dantonio's reference to Tressel as a "tragic hero" following tattoo-gate was particularly gag worthy. Also told Darian Cooper that Kirk & Co. would be fired after rhabdo. I don't think Kirk's a fan.

Last edited:
Yes, and reinstatement was to play against Iowa--the player actually got to "choose" his punishment...unreal. Dantonio's recent success has done much to cover up his innate sleaze. Don't forget the fake injury game in '11 either--MSU players even admitted as much afterwards. And Dantonio's reference to Tressel as a "tragic hero" following tattoo-gate was particularly gag worthy. Also told Darian Cooper that Kirk & Co. would be fired after rhabdo. I don't think Kirk's a fan.

I believe the dean of discipline also suspended a guy during the summer and then reinstated him before the first game so the kid didn't actually miss any time. Unless I'm thinking of someone else

So I went through the student code of student life, specifically the 27 different possible violations.

https://dos.uiowa.edu/policies/code-of-student-life-15-16/

Now, KF specifically stated that it was not a legal issue. This means to me that we can eliminate all of the last two sections, violations of policy and law and person/property offenses as those are nearly exclusively legal issues (drugs, alcohol, assault, stalking).

The most likely culprit left is dishonesty. Cheating and plagiarism are the biggies in that category. And KF specifically said that DMX was working toward being in "good standing" with UI. This is my guess as to what happened.

I wasn't referring exact rumors. Just the whole University code of conduct part.

Things that fall under the Code of Conduct could be anything from academic issues to an accusation made by another student. Hope that with this particular thing, the privacy of everyone involved is maintained.

Not to derail this, but university code of conduct issues have been problematic to say the least, from the woman at Columbia who drug around a mattress, to the made-up story in Rolling Stone at UVA. Procedures for handling university code of conduct issues are much different than legal ones. Different standards for evidence and how disputes are handled. My personal opinion is that if alleged illegal activities have taken place, the courts should decide that and not a board at a university.

I'm not remarking on what Mitchell did/did not do, I have no idea. But if something has entered into the Code of Conduct morass, it will take some time to sort out.

Things that fall under the Code of Conduct could be anything from academic issues to an accusation made by another student. Hope that with this particular thing, the privacy of everyone involved is maintained.

Not to derail this, but university code of conduct issues have been problematic to say the least, from the woman at Columbia who drug around a mattress, to the made-up story in Rolling Stone at UVA. Procedures for handling university code of conduct issues are much different than legal ones. Different standards for evidence and how disputes are handled. My personal opinion is that if alleged illegal activities have taken place, the courts should decide that and not a board at a university.

I'm not remarking on what Mitchell did/did not do, I have no idea. But if something has entered into the Code of Conduct morass, it will take some time to sort out.
I agree. A university's code of conduct should be limited to issues regarding academics. The rest should be left to the criminal justice system. Otherwise, it becomes a slippery slope, a forum for political agendas, a process devoid of due process, vague, random and inconsistent in its application. A student isn't immune from criminal prosecution if he/she commits a crime. If after a conviction, a university wants to boot a student, then that would be the time to do so.

And let us not forget, with the Ghost of Sally Mason still lurking, he could have just talked too loudly in the library...

If we were in the $EC, perhaps...or located in Columbus, maybe East Lansing. And at U$C or Oregon, the wording of the release would be changed to read, "He has received a special type of commendation...".

How about Iowa! When Dan McCarney was a player and later a coach, Iowa football players seldom got into trouble. A simple phone call to an assistant coach & later to Dan when he was an assistant coach would handle the problem. The University would quietly deal with the situation & nothing would appear in the public records & the press.

The stories of what football players got away with in the '70's & '80's is legendary. Of course Dan's father was the Iowa City Chief of Police.

Latest posts