RB Tix Falling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for Tickets

I have two siblings that live in the LA area and planned on driving throughout. I have waited out the tickets and have now watched them drop to face value on both StubHub and Vivid Seats. Also lots of people selling on Craigslist. I learned this lesson years ago with the World Series, there are ALWAYS going to be tickets available, just be patient. I know that everyone said that there could be 50K to 60K Iowa fans there, but that still leaves 40K seats, and as much as we love the Hawkeyes, Iowa Stanford is not a huge draw for the casual fan. For Iowa fans there are just not enough flights to LA and with the flights available the airlines are fleecing people for as much as they can. It is tough to drive 26 hours both ways for only a few days out there and if you try to stay longer without having family/friends to crash at the costs pile up. Throw in the fact that Stanford has been there 3 out of 4 years and I am sure there are a lot of Cardinal fans ready to give up their seats. I think that there was a lot of inflation in the market to try to push people to buy early. I will be extremely happy if 55K Hawkeyes do make it out, but I am skeptical. If airlines would add flights, I think we could go way past that number.

So the point of my post, initially we were going to wait for the parking lot, but since tickets have dropped like a rock this week, considering buying them now. That said we would prefer 4 tickets together and anyone who is trying to sell, I would be happy to go up to 200 per for 4 seats together (maybe higher if they are good seats, just let me know). Would also do pairs of tickets, but if we separate, looking for a deal or good seats. My brother in LA (who's been to the Rose Bowl the last 3-4 years) wants to wait for the game but I am ready to buy so my wife doesn't bug me the whole drive out about our seats. If anyone is looking to offload, reply to my post or PM me. Thanks!

Go Hawks! I-O-W-A!

What I do and would have a problem with is if said travel agent on a daily basis said over and over again how demand was at an all time high and that tickets will be hard to come by, will be extremely expensive, find a trusted source, etc. making it seem like paying the overpriced package was your only shot or best shot to get a ticket.

THAT, is what I have a problem with. It's one step above a snake oil salesman. And as the market now is showing turned out to be 100% false.

The first four days of tix sales, trip sales, etc, the 'spot market' was pushing $1k on the tickets. Then commercial flights out of DSM, CR and nearby were getting sold out.

people in the travel industry, long time vets, were saying they had never seen a market like this one, ever.

Absolutely none of that is refutable.

Nor were the horror stories of the 2010 BCS title game in Glendale, last year's super bowl, etc. None of it fabricated. Those were the things travel industry vets, both affiliated with our trip, as well as others not affiliated with our trip, were telling me. And I passed it along.

The University trips (Alumni) were so concerned with additional availability that they just shut down sales. So did we, for several hours on the first day. It was insane. You typically see companies coming back in, leasing more planes and buying more tickets, and keep selling.

That pretty much stopped after 48 hours in this trip, which I've never seen happen before with an Iowa trip and I have been involved in these things since 2002.

I understand that some people are irritated. I get it. It was making me sick to my stomach that first night and first few days seeing where prices were.

But if you're gonna start tossing around that I was involved in any way shape or form with intentionally fleecing anyone, in anything, in my entire life, then you and I are going to have a problem...because that is ********.

Markets turn all the time. Tickets are a commodity. There is no guarantee of them turning. There is no guarantee of anything related to price in a commodity based market, period. And you're smart enough to know that.

We all went through that circus no matter how you tried to get your tickets. We happened to buy RB tickets a few months back but then our group grew and grew. From Sunday at 2pm until Monday, we were all scrambling to find tickets and network like crazy. None of us expected our point total to be high enough to get them through the ticket office.

Now, the ticket office could have been more transparent but I think they did a good job making sure the core fan base had access to tickets. BUT, the result was that a lot of us who found tickets elsewhere were suddenly left with fulfilled orders and extra tickets. What are you supposed to do? Eat them? No, you resell. While I haven't looked at hard numbers, available tickets seems to be relatively high so it's no surprise prices have come down.

As of this morning there are over 4200 rose bowl tickets for sale on Stub Hub. Lowest is $161

I wonder how many of those are Hawk fans who got tickets through the Iowa Ticket Office. I understand that it is a free market, but I think it is a shame that so many seem to be taking advantage of the situation and other Hawk fans.

The first four days of tix sales, trip sales, etc, the 'spot market' was pushing $1k on the tickets. Then commercial flights out of DSM, CR and nearby were getting sold out.

people in the travel industry, long time vets, were saying they had never seen a market like this one, ever.

Nor were the horror stories of the 2010 BCS title game in Glendale, last year's super bowl, etc. None of it fabricated. Those were the things travel industry vets, both affiliated with our trip, as well as others not affiliated with our trip, were telling me. And I passed it along.

The University trips (Alumni) were so concerned with additional availability that they just shut down sales. So did we, for several hours on the first day. It was insane. You typically see companies coming back in, leasing more planes and buying more tickets, and keep selling.

That pretty much stopped after 48 hours in this trip, which I've never seen happen before with an Iowa trip and I have been involved in these things since 2002.

I understand that some people are irritated. I get it. It was making me sick to my stomach that first night and first few days seeing where prices were.

But if you're gonna start tossing around that I was involved in any way shape or form with intentionally fleecing anyone, in anything, in my entire life, then you and I are going to have a problem...because that is ********.

Markets turn all the time. Tickets are a commodity. There is no guarantee of them turning. There is no guarantee of anything related to price in a commodity based market, period. And you're smart enough to know that.
No need to apologize or try to explain it Jon,yes If you want to do it on your own and book everything you can go cheaper,the choice is yours.Ive done it both ways and decided to go with Primesport for this trip since we've never been out west before.Since I needed 3 tickets and I only get 2 from the U of I we went ahead and purchased tickets with the pkg.,I could of waited and seen if prices would go down but chose not to,no regrets.If you can't afford it or worried about the cost then you should wait until you can.Go Hawks

Re: Looking for Tickets

I have two siblings that live in the LA area and planned on driving throughout. I have waited out the tickets and have now watched them drop to face value on both StubHub and Vivid Seats. Also lots of people selling on Craigslist. I learned this lesson years ago with the World Series, there are ALWAYS going to be tickets available, just be patient. I know that everyone said that there could be 50K to 60K Iowa fans there, but that still leaves 40K seats, and as much as we love the Hawkeyes, Iowa Stanford is not a huge draw for the casual fan. For Iowa fans there are just not enough flights to LA and with the flights available the airlines are fleecing people for as much as they can. It is tough to drive 26 hours both ways for only a few days out there and if you try to stay longer without having family/friends to crash at the costs pile up. Throw in the fact that Stanford has been there 3 out of 4 years and I am sure there are a lot of Cardinal fans ready to give up their seats. I think that there was a lot of inflation in the market to try to push people to buy early. I will be extremely happy if 55K Hawkeyes do make it out, but I am skeptical. If airlines would add flights, I think we could go way past that number.

So the point of my post, initially we were going to wait for the parking lot, but since tickets have dropped like a rock this week, considering buying them now. That said we would prefer 4 tickets together and anyone who is trying to sell, I would be happy to go up to 200 per for 4 seats together (maybe higher if they are good seats, just let me know). Would also do pairs of tickets, but if we separate, looking for a deal or good seats. My brother in LA (who's been to the Rose Bowl the last 3-4 years) wants to wait for the game but I am ready to buy so my wife doesn't bug me the whole drive out about our seats. If anyone is looking to offload, reply to my post or PM me. Thanks!

Go Hawks! I-O-W-A!

Pretty much everything you say is true with one exception. I went up to game six of the 1991 world series between the Twins and Braves, thinking I would find a ticket. I couldn't even find scalpers with tickets that night! I ended up watching the game from a hotel room. We attended the 2002 Orange bowl and paid $35.00 per ticket. We were patient as far as the Rose tickets were concerned. We have now purchased 4 at $150 each. One bought out in LA. The other 3 from good hawk fans that applied, got the tickets, but then decided not to go. We were lucky. (also driving out)

I wonder how many of those are Hawk fans who got tickets through the Iowa Ticket Office. I understand that it is a free market, but I think it is a shame that so many seem to be taking advantage of the situation and other Hawk fans.

One of the rewards in remaining faithful in my view. For those that renewed their seats this year with all the doom and gloom and complaining. No one even knew until recently if we would get tickets. I did apply for 2 knowing I would resell them at a market price. Capitalism my friend. Supply and demand. Buy and sell at the right time. sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Sounds like tickets are down in the face value range now.

Jon,

Reread your bowl post and tell me you weren't at the very least a small part of the reason people were freaking out about prices? Or your twitter timeline for that matter?

I understand the market just fine and have no problem with you making some cash by partnering with PrimeSports but at least see the reason why someone could be a little ****** at the constant yelling fire over and over again only to find out there really wasn't a fire at all.

FYI, you can still get a roundtrip flight out of Des Moines for under $900 (I guess all those flights aren't sold out) Or save $300 and drive to Chicago fly for $600. Plenty of 4 and 5 star hotels still available at very reasonable prices. Oh and you can right now get a ticket to the game for under $200 on stubhub.

That was my point, make a buck it's the American way. But today, right now those bowl packages are so far beyond overpriced it's comical. Now that is what makes me sick.

Oh and Go Hawks.

Jon,

Reread your bowl post and tell me you weren't at the very least a small part of the reason people were freaking out about prices? Or your twitter timeline for that matter?

I understand the market just fine and have no problem with you making some cash by partnering with PrimeSports but at least see the reason why someone could be a little ****** at the constant yelling fire over and over again only to find out there really wasn't a fire at all.

FYI, you can still get a roundtrip flight out of Des Moines for under $900 (I guess all those flights aren't sold out) Or save $300 and drive to Chicago fly for $600. Plenty of 4 and 5 star hotels still available at very reasonable prices. Oh and you can right now get a ticket to the game for under $200 on stubhub.

That was my point, make a buck it's the American way. But today, right now those bowl packages are so far beyond overpriced it's comical. Now that is what makes me sick.

Oh and Go Hawks.

If you think those packages are outrageous, then just don't purchase them. I mean do you walk down to the local BMW auto campus and lecture those buying a BMW that the BMW's are so far beyond overpriced that it's comical....I mean go by a Kia? You gonna go to LA, and head down to the Beverly Wilshire and lecture those staying there that they are paying wayyyy too much for a hotel, and they could stay in the Holiday Inn for less money?

Just drop it Hoff, you are either just jealous that you can't afford this kind of swag, or you are pizzed that you can afford it, but are too cheap to spring for it. Either way it is a bad, bad look for you. JD is doing just fine selling a luxury Rose Bowl package to the select clients that want that type of experience.

Last edited:
Something that sells out was never over priced. I find it crazy though that anyone is willing to spend about 2000 extra just to avoid booking their own flight and hotel. I will never be that lazy or that rich.

Regardless of everything else, why couldn't the ticket office have been more transparent here? In my estimation, if you know you are honoring season ticket holder requests first, and you have a finite number of those individuals that requested tickets with a known allotment, why couldn't they have done some quick math and given an estimation on the priority point cut off? I mean, they knew what those tickets were going for, and had to have known that they would have season ticket holders out there waiting for info to make an educated decision. Thanks for ultimately keeping us in mind, but it doesn't do me any good if I had no realistic reason to believe I would have been getting them based on the published numbers of requests vs. tickets available (at first they did not indicate that they only had 24k or so season ticket holder requests and that they would be honoring those first).

I'm still going to enjoy myself and take it all in, but I can't help but feel a little scammed by the system. I'm a big boy though...I should have trusted my gut that told me prices had to drop. Won't make that mistake again.

If you think those packages are outrageous, then just don't purchase them. I mean do you walk down to the local BMW auto campus and lecture those buying a BMW that the BMW's are so far beyond overpriced that it's comical....I mean go by a Kia? You gonna go to LA, and head down to the Beverly Wilshire and lecture those staying there that they are paying wayyyy too much for a hotel, and they could stay in the Holiday Inn for less money?

Just drop it Hoff, you are either just jealous that you can't afford this kind of swag, or you are pizzed that you can afford it, but are too cheap to spring for it. Either way it is a bad, bad look for you. JD is doing just fine selling a luxury Rose Bowl package to the select clients that want that type of experience.

Last time I checked if I went to the BMW dealership the sales rep wouldn't tell me this is the only car I could buy in the city. That is indeed what was being thrown around when talking about Rose Bowl tickets.

Last time I checked if I went to the BMW dealership the sales rep wouldn't tell me this is the only car I could buy in the city. That is indeed what was being thrown around when talking about Rose Bowl tickets.

Last I check you didn't have to buy a Rose Bowl ticket. Last I check you didn't have a buy a ticket through JD, or buy his package deal.

You are grasping on this one. Out of the 40-60K fans that will make the trip what are you complaining about the 1000 (just a guess) or so that want to book with JD?? JD can't drive the cost of tickets, nor can he force anyone to purchase his package. Just like the BMW rep couldn't tell you there are no other cars in town......

I have no problem with someone wanting to buy for convenience. NONE. That has happened the last X bowl trips and has been happening at every travel agency for as long as they have been around. We all know you can go to Europe or anywhere for much cheaper if you do the planning on your own that is nothing new and I understand some would rather have a professional take care of the planning for them and pay a fee to do so. I have no problem with that AT ALL. And if it was a true luxury item than brand it as such and move on.

What I do and would have a problem with is if said travel agent on a daily basis said over and over again how demand was at an all time high and that tickets will be hard to come by, will be extremely expensive, find a trusted source, etc. making it seem like paying the overpriced package was your only shot or best shot to get a ticket.

THAT, is what I have a problem with. It's one step above a snake oil salesman. And as the market now is showing turned out to be 100% false.

i tried to chime in a few times calling JD out on his tactics and a couple of my posts were deleted. I tried to warn ppl on his sticky threads. It was obvious when everyone and their dogs associated with Stanford could get 8 tickets. They and their dogs only ordered them bc at THAT time the market looked strong. Well over 50% of the Stanford market is bought by brokers so every one of them bought to resell them. Very few Stanford fans bought to actually attend and it's their 3rd Rose in 4 years. It's also a destination school with nobody going there that grew up Cardinal fans. It's a TINY fan base. There is a reason their stadium only seats 50,424.

And after seeing how expensive flights were and the rates on nicer hotels it was pretty clear that not everyone was going to be able to afford it. And there was also many ppl boycotting Iowa FB this year and can't go unless they want to tattoo hypocrite on their foreheads.

Jon,

I understand the market just fine and have no problem with you making some cash by partnering with PrimeSports but at least see the reason why someone could be a little ****** at the constant yelling fire over and over again only to find out there really wasn't a fire at all. .

I know a thing or two about this stuff. I know that Prime Sport, who is officially partnered with the Rose as their primary outlet to clear ticket inventory, was very concerned late that first Sunday night about ticket availability. I am not going to go into the things they said, but they were concerned...as was Winebrenner, and every other travel company, BECAUSE DEMAND WAS UNPRECEDENTED. I've said that before, I'll say it again so you get it; THE DEMAND IN THE FIRST 24 HOURS OF THIS YEAR'S ROSE BOWL TICKET OFFERING WAS UNPRECEDENTED, outstripping the previous insane demand from MSU two years ago after their 25 year Rose drought.

Travel companies (charter companies) have taken double the number of planes to Iowa's two Orange Bowls they are taking to this Rose. Why? People were freaked the heck out, as was PRIME, the OFFICIAL TICKET PARTNER OF THE ROSE.

I hated it...I truly was nauseous that first night, because I hated where the market was.

It didn't change what the market was. The market was the market. Prime doesn't make the market...the market makes the market. And the largest companies in the space, who have access to the most tickets, were very concerned about availability.

Which is why I was conveying what I was conveying....period.

So there is a very good reason people were freaked out about prices; BECAUSE EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE SUPPLIERS AND THE ROSE, WERE FREAKED OUT ABOUT DEMAND AND AVAILABILITY, not wanting to overcommit, actually being responsible and shutting down sales for a long period of time when they had hundreds more orders they could have filled, more planes they could have reserved, etc.

That wound up not happening...because the travel companies were spooked by the insane demand.

That's how this works..

Now, two weeks later, it does seem insane....that's because it was.

Jon - So why was Prime spooked at the prices/market? Seems they would make more $$$ the higher the prices if they held their own inventory right. You basically just gave away the fact that they short sell a lot/most of their inventory and were scared about covering their orders at the high prices. Turns out they should have kept on selling.

I'm sure them losing their butts to $3mil on the World Cup in the same manner in South Africa has them more cautious now.

I don't know Jon personally, but I know enough to know that he wouldn't intentionally mislead anyone just to make a buck.

Also, just a few weeks ago the B1G Championship tickets actually went UP over time. I know that phenomenon played a role in my RB ticket decision making, and I'm sure it did for others as well.

We should all be celebrating Iowa's first trip to Pasadena in 25 years, not bickering about whether someone overpaid to get there.

Last edited:
I don't think for one second Jon was trying to drive up ticket prices. He was just passing along information he was getting from experienced folks that he had no reason to doubt. I do feel like there are a few guys somewhere doing this right now though...

Attachments

• trading places.jpg
    trading places.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 6
The Market for the Rose Bowl was played like a fiddle, nobody can say that didn't happen initially. Any and I mean any reasonable person had to know these tickets wouldn't hold that value. Your telling me that a college bowl game nose bleed was going to hold those prices? No way! Anyone who did its research on past Rose Bowls would have seen that's BS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts